Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some prefer full synthetic vs synthetic blend what is a better brand ? I noticed in some Honda shops they use synthetic blend

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Now you are just trying to start ish!

I use full synthetic in everything except my classic (and only then it's because I'm using up old Mobil5000 bottles). I use M1 with M1 filters until 100k, then I switch to M1 High Mileage with M1 filters. The M1 High Mileage has been proven on Bob is the Oil Guy to have an excellent additive package.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Every manufacturer can differ slightly. Some grades are only possible in a fully synthetic. Vehicles mandate a minimum standard, Honda usually gives the viscosity and states it must have API certification. Modern GM vehicles require a Dexos 1 certification. Specialized vehicles have even stricter minimums. Some of these requirements can only be met with a fully synthetic base oil and additive package, so blenders do not offer them in conventional oil, or "semi-synthetic".

Honda states: "Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container. You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade."

0W-20 is offered in syn-blend and full syn varieties. If you want to run longer OCI (oil change intervals) beyond the maintenance minder, you will need an oil that has a synthetic additive package that allows for this, which will likely be a full synthetic, but only having a oil analysis (Blackstone labs) will let you know what's possible for your engine in its current state and your driving habits.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
This subject gets me upset because for years our local oil change place claimed to be using synthetic oil. Well, technically they were, But It Was A Blend! A blend is just not the quality of a full synthetic. I'm not saying your engine is not protected using it(API Certified, etc). You have to change your oil more frequently. That means more $ for the quick lube shop. For full synthetic they were more than double the price. Do it yourself, use full synthetic with a premium filter and go longer between oil changes and save. Buying the cheaper blend doesn't really save you any money in the long run if your changing your oil frequently. I like working on cars, but I don't want to change the oil in my daily driver every 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
For DIY oil changes the difference in price for syn vs blend is negligible. Walmart has some of the best everyday prices for motor oil...just dash in + out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just buy real synthetic. The Blends have real oil in them, Which in general would be fine to run in the engine. Honda I'm sure you'll honour the warranty until the actual miles on the car are reached. In general engines with a 100,000 miles on it with a blend shouldn't blow up. However oils that don't have pure synthetic properties to them may sludge up more overtime which may cause valve clearance ticking issues and intake valve carbonization etc. Also with the Eco mode on when the engine is not firing gas into the cylinder. There's potential the crankcase positive pressure will blow oil up past the piston rings which in turn will get blown out the exhaust and start the gum up your catalytic converter and air intake sensors. Just in small amounts. This is no big deal, but over thousands of miles the cat one day we'll get really hot burn off all the oil And then melt the ceramics Which then diminishes its efficiency and you get a check engine light for "cat threshold below performance" . Engine manufacturers are realizing these problems and are asking the oil industry's to change the oil to clean up some of this mess. Direct injection has their own problems where the intake valves carbon up.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Some prefer full synthetic vs synthetic blend what is a better brand ? I noticed in some Honda shops they use synthetic blend
Thoughts?
IMO, the main "advantage" of synthetic-blend is that it allows dealers to advertise a slightly lower price for an oil change.
Otherwise, just buy full-synthetic.

As for brands, see the wear ratings here: MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA
I'd choose Quaker State Ultimate Durability.
Quaker State Ultimate Durability

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
IMO, the main "advantage" of synthetic-blend is that it allows dealers to advertise a slightly lower price for an oil change.
Otherwise, just buy full-synthetic.

As for brands, see the wear ratings here: MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA
I'd choose Quaker State Ultimate Durability.
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
The motor oil test data had good information but a tad long to read. Not surprised about the low quality of Fram oil filters but I did read somewhere else that Subaru filters were made by Fram. Agree on buying full synthetic motor oils rather than blends (not that there is anything wrong with them) and I use Purolator PureOne filters on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've always thought all that's needed was to place a quart of full synthetic in the warehouse with thousands of cases of regular oil......presto; synthetic blend! THAT's how much sense it makes to me! ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts