Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What is the best car wax and tire dressing for my Pilot

6694 13
in y'alls experience...
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
644 Posts
I myself use all Meguiars professional line of products, but those you typically by in bulk. I clean my cars a lot and do detailing on the side. With that said, if you don't want to go that route their consumer line sold at any auto parts store or Walmart is the Meguiars Ultimate line. Their waxes and polish are good in my opinion. Go on easy, come off easy and last several months depending on weather conditions. I also supplement after washing with quick detail spray and quick wax spray (all Meguiars) to boost the wax and shine.

Like DMG said, most people have their own preference on what they like. Before I got into the Meguiars professional line of products that have to be purchased on line I liked their consumer line because you could get it just about anywhere.

Reactions: mnoble

· Registered
26 Posts
It depends on a lot of factors. I like to experiment with some hobbyist/ pro grade stuff. It costs more, but I enjoy detailing. The most step is prep. A clay bar and a minimally abrasive Polish will make any wax/sealant look great. I use a Porter Cable random orbital polisher, which is a great investment. Here are some of my favorite products:

Polish - Menzerna for mild to heavier polishing. Klasse All in One for light polishing.

Wax/ sealant - I used many products and my current favorite is Blackfire. The shine and longevity is incredible. I detailed my F150 last October. The paint is still slick and beads water after a really harsh winter. It went three months covered in road salt without one bath due to how cold it was. The stuff is really good. Another good product is Collinite. The shine is good, it lasts 2-3 months, and is reasonably priced.

Whatever tire shine you use, wipe it dry when you are done. Petroleum based products can stain your clear coat.

· Registered
7 Posts
Consumer Reports rates NuFinish NF-76 liquid wax as the best buy, and can be purchased almost anywhere. Mequiars and Mothers cleaner wax are also "best buys". I purchased a Black & Decker 6" waxer/polisher about 10 years ago, and it takes all the work out of waxing. They are about $28 on Amazon for the WP900.

· Registered
33 Posts
Wax/Sealants/Coatings are super subjective. What the answer is, really depends on what you're looking for in a LSP (last-step protectant).

Ease of use?
Durability?
Form Factor (spray/liquid/paste)?
Price?
OTC vs. Professional-grade/online vendor?

---------------
As for tire dressing--stay away from petroleum-based products (most OTC dressings). Most sling like crazy and get crap all over your paint. Most of the pro detailers over at AutoGeek/Autopia love CarPro's PERL/Optimum's Optibond. I'm currently using Eco Touch Tire Shine and love it--a little goes a long way and it's water-based. Keep in mind that different tires absorb tire shine at different rates, so a product may last long on one brand of tire and not-so-long on others. I've found that Firestone-branded tires do not hold water-based dressings very long.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Tire Shops In Dubai use Tire dressings, also known as tire renovators, and protectants, also known as vinyl dressings, have the purpose of enhancing the appearance of rubber and plastic surfaces. . Basically, this is just a detailing product that helps to bring back the deep dark color of rubber on your tires.
What about in the USA and Canada where most members of this forum are located?

· Registered
13,256 Posts
Tire Shops In Dubai use Tire dressings, also known as tire renovators, and protectants, also known as vinyl dressings, have the purpose of enhancing the appearance of rubber and plastic surfaces. . Basically, this is just a detailing product that helps to bring back the deep dark color of rubber on your tires.
I tried some of that tire shine product once. In Canada, anyway, it made my tires look like what you see in used car lots - shiny and attractive to lure a potential customer. However, it wore off here in little more than a day.

· Registered
490 Posts
I found this ceramic trim coating also works fantastic on tires. I did my trim and tires in early October. I go to the car wash at least once a week. The trim and tires still look great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.