Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to do some preventative maintenance on my sisters 2005 pilot to avoid the transmission/coolent milkshake problem. Are there two radiators in this thing that need to be replaced or just one? Im not sure if just replacing the old radiator fixes the problem altogether or is there a transmission cooler that needs replacing as well?

Thanks for any tips, links, or parts suggestions.

Abraham

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
There is one large radiator to replace in your Pilot. That radiator plus the hoses, water pump, thermostat and coolant keep the engine temperature within specs. The transmission runs a separate ATF line through this radiator to help keep the ATF temps within specs. Optional coolers are available to increase the ATF cooling when towing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Some will have the trans cooler and ac condenser attached. Be careful removing them. You should be able to see them when you remove the plastic panel under the hood. Wouldn't hurt to do the thermostat and some hoses as well.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
501 Posts
I did my radiator replacement at the same time as my timing belt and water pump replacement, so that I only had to drain/refill the coolant this one time. I did the thermostat and coolant hoses too. Also installed an aftermarket transmission cooler as a preventative measure, so it's a good time to add it since I already had the bumper/grill off and had disconnected the ATF lines for the doing the radiator replacement. The worst part was getting the cooling fans removed from the old radiator because all 4 of the old screws that hold the fans on the bottom were rusted solid. I had to cut them away from the radiator using an angle grinder and used new replacement screws that I bought ahead of time. If you're thinking of replacing the headlights, now would be a good time too, since that job requires removing the bumper. I think you can replace the radiator without removing the bumper, but it makes it a whole lot easier if you've got lots of stuff to replace in that area all at once.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I'd watch several Honda YouTube videos on radiator replacement.
Has the timing belt water pump job been done?

Reactions: skycamper

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'd watch several Honda YouTube videos on radiator replacement.
Has the timing belt water pump job been done?
My dad swears up and down that the timing and water pump have been done twice on this car. No receipt of course. Its has 160K on it. Headlights sound easy enough as well.

Yeah I'll be watching some vids on the subject, I recently had to do a CV axle and alternator with the help of youtube.

What parts have anyone used for the transmission?
Thank you!!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
My dad swears up and down that the timing and water pump have been done twice on this car. No receipt of course. Its has 160K on it.
Where does your dad usually have that sort of work done?
Unless he did the timing belt job himself, it would have cost about $1,000 at the dealer or other shop.
Would he have been likely to have paid that amount in cash, or would there be a credit card receipt or a canceled check?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where does your dad usually have that sort of work done?
Unless he did the timing belt job himself, it would have cost about $1,000 at the dealer or other shop.
Would he have been likely to have paid that amount in cash, or would there be a credit card receipt or a canceled check?
No Im sure he paid a one off craigslist mechanic to do it and my dad bought the parts and watched him install it. It runs and drives perfectly and that was several years ago. He wont be able to even find the parts receipt. But the receipts that were in the car are now in my possession. Lol My sister has been driving it for the last 5 years and ive done the maintenance since that time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My question is how are new radiators built differently than OE to reduce the likelihood that the two fluids dont mix at some point??

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
My question is how are new radiators built differently than OE to reduce the likelihood that the two fluids dont mix at some point??
It's the connectors at the bottom where the ATF hoses attach that have been modified.

Get this one, and don't forget your Piloteers 5% discount.

More Information for DENSO 2213232

5% Discount Code: 61F8C3AFDC21E1
Expires: May 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the connectors at the bottom where the ATF hoses attach that have been modified.

Get this one, and don't forget your Piloteers 5% discount.

More Information for DENSO 2213232
I ordered the part you suggested, gates hoses, and stant thermostst. With your coupon Code was $161 shipped. Wish me luck! Not sure where to get all those black clips for when I break them that attach those large molded cowlings. Lol any ideas there?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I ordered the part you suggested, gates hoses, and stant thermostst. With your coupon Code was $161 shipped. Wish me luck! Not sure where to get all those black clips for when I break them that attach those large molded cowlings. Lol any ideas there?
aftermarket clips are available on ebay, you can also get OEM which are pricey...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aftermarket clips are available on ebay, you can also get OEM which are pricey...
Is this what im looking for? Or are there several types under the hood for all the splash guards and cowlings?
Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this what im looking for? Or are there several types under the hood for all the splash guards and cowlings?
Thank you!
Or maybe this is better?

·
Registered
9,446 Posts

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
@skycamper that’s my favorite variety pack as one of them are bound to fit. May not look like the OEM but if it holds you’re golden.
The small clip that's 1st in the picture, I used on the F150 radiator cover. Wasn't close to looking like OEM, but it held tight. There was no getting the 17 year old clips out without breaking them.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
Or maybe this is better?
Yes, good variety and don't underestimate how useful having that right tool can be, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts