Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a stupid question, because it might just be. What is the actual tire pressure recommended for our Pilots? I've heard 32, or up to 44. Which are all very different numbers.

Here's why I ask. On the driver's side door jam sticker, my 07 recommends "32 PSI."

BUT, my tires don't have an actual recommendation, just as stated maximum of 44 PSI. I have a tire size of 235/70R16, and my current tires are Michelin LTX M/S2.

My biggest concern is length of life on the tire. Not traction in snow or sand, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As you probably understand, tire pressure is a trade-off. Different conditions might argue for different pressures but for optimal handling and tire longevity, stick to the door label.

Unless you're time trialing yours, I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, because it might just be. What is the actual tire pressure recommended for our Pilots? I've heard 32, or up to 44. Which are all very different numbers.

Here's why I ask. On the driver's side door jam sticker, my 07 recommends "32 PSI."

BUT, my tires don't have an actual recommendation, just as stated maximum of 44 PSI. I have a tire size of 235/70R16, and my current tires are Michelin LTX M/S2.

My biggest concern is length of life on the tire. Not traction in snow or sand, etc.
32-35psi. Low end better ride, high end better mileage. Add/subtract 2% for every 10 degrees change in temperature. (add for drop in temp and subtract for rise in temp) If you're heavily loaded increase pressure to handle up to 44 psi.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
32-35psi. Low end better ride, high end better mileage. Add/subtract 2% for every 10 degrees change in temperature. (add for drop in temp and subtract for rise in temp) If you're heavily loaded increase pressure to handle up to 44 psi.
There was an article floating around here, about adding 2 lbs when it's really cold/winter too IIRC.

Reactions: 20Piloteer07

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
I have a tire size of 235/70R16, and my current tires are Michelin LTX M/S2.
I have the exact same tires as you and my Goldilocks Zone is 35 PSI.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Get a tread wear/depth gauge. Measure tread depth in the middle of the tire and toward both edges. Presuming suspension components are good and properly aligned, less tread depth in the middle vs the sides, means over inflation. More tread depth in the middle vs the edges means under inflation,

You'll probably drive yourself crazy constantly measuring and trying to maintain tread depth perfectly even all the way across the tire.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Suggest a repost of what PSI do you run ? (I run 35 PSI). However, to get out of snow conditions I have dropped PSI down to mid 20s to get un stuck on other cars.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
There was an article floating around here, about adding 2 lbs when it's really cold/winter too IIRC.
Sounds about right, although really cold is relative. To me really cold is anything below 60*F. 🙃. 1 psi per 10*F should do it although I wouldn't go beyond 6 psi either way without readjusting after the tires warm up.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
32psi is the standard pressure.

Seriously. Every November, living up in Boston area, I always add 4psi to the 32. This is simply to accommodate any temperature induced reduction in pressure. Doing this never resulted in any strange tire wear.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never gone above 35, but it sounds like I could, especially in winter.

Related story (and why I'm thinking about tire pressure): This past weekend I went into the white mountains of NH. I had a TPMS indicator for my right front tire. I hit a gas station to pump it up, and the machine was broken. It just let more air out. I had to go find another station, while driving on a tire with about zero PSI. It has me thinking I need to bring along my own pump so that never happens again.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
My target is 42psi hot.
I run High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s that have a max inflation value of 51psi. I wouldn't exceed 40psi on a max 44psi that some of these cheap made squishy touring tires have.

Reactions: 20Piloteer07

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I've never gone above 35, but it sounds like I could, especially in winter.

Related story (and why I'm thinking about tire pressure): This past weekend I went into the white mountains of NH. I had a TPMS indicator for my right front tire. I hit a gas station to pump it up, and the machine was broken. It just let more air out. I had to go find another station, while driving on a tire with about zero PSI. It has me thinking I need to bring along my own pump so that never happens again.
Twenty bucks.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
I had a cheap 20 buck compressor, and when I hooked it up a couple of months ago to my daughter's 18 PSI soft front left winter tire in the snow, it buzzed for a while before releasing a waft of burning electronics and crapping out. It added a whole new dimension of expletives to my already well-furnished vocabulary tool box.

I got this one and it has worked fine. It has a digital display, so you set it to your desired PSI and it has auto shutoff when reached, so I don't have to squat in the freezing slush to monitor it.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Eight bucks.

Four bucks.

Free, if you know a special friend with a special talent. :)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
How much for that DeWalt?

You can go ahead and try to inflate a flat car tire with a hand pump.
I'll watch.

Didn't say I would ever consider buying one for that, just that if it's cheap thrills you want, you've got options. :)

I'd actually prefer to watch option 3, but whatever floats your boat. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts