Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This person spammed a honda newsgroup I check out now and then, marketing JDM engines and was wondering what those were? He posted a whole bunch of links to the pics of those engines as well, but I decided not to post the links since it may be misconstrued as a form of SPAM as well.

He claimed that the "engines come from Montreal, CANADA and the supplier in no way is related to Osaka (bunch of crooks)." The he went onto list pretty much every Japanese car manufacturers for which he can provide the engines. What are these things? It got me really curious.

·
Registered
158 Posts
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market

A JDM engine is one that was pulled from a car in Japan. Thus, they are Japan spec engines. Typically they are compatible w/ their US counterpart engines.

JDM engines are popular with the Fast and the Furious crowd who like to transplant certain popular and potent Japanese market only engines into their U.S. vehicles.

For instance the SR20DET is a very popular JDM engine to swap into Nissan Sentras, Infiniti G20s, and 240SXs.

Another popular JDM engine is an RB26DETT which is the engine from the Skyline GTR.

Glen

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for such a quick reply, Glen. Very cool, very cool. It's amazing to me the lengths some people will go to to modify their cars for some extra HP.

·
Registered
158 Posts
RipRocK said:
It's amazing to me the lengths some people will go to to modify their cars for some extra HP.
You're telling me. I spent about $10,000 on engine upgrades alone for my Z. It gave me about another 200 hp. The $10,000 didn't even include the suspension, wheels and tires, and transmission upgrades.

Glen

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crapola, 10 grand just for the engine swap??? Wow. But for an extra 200HP, it probably was worth every dollar? :2: I was wrong to have referred to it as "some extra HP". We're talking about an whole extra "Acura RSX Type-S" under your hood!! That's awesome. That's not just "some extra HP", pardon my ignorance. So, ummm...that there Z of yours, must be alot of fun to drive, yes? :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
RipRocK said:
Holy crapola, 10 grand just for the engine swap??? Wow. But for an extra 200HP, it probably was worth every dollar? :2: I was wrong to have referred to it as "some extra HP". We're talking about an whole extra "Acura RSX Type-S" under your hood!! That's awesome. That's not just "some extra HP", pardon my ignorance. So, ummm...that there Z of yours, must be alot of fun to drive, yes? :D
Well, it wasn't for a new engine, it was the same stock engine, but with larger turbocharges, intercoolers, fuel injectors, dual intakes, new exhaust, electronic boost controller, and reprogrammed ECU.

Yes. An extra 200 hp made the car ridiculously fast and ridiculously dangerous. When I think back to my youthful and very stupid days in the 90s, I just thank god I never hurt anyone else, let alone myself. Believe it or not, I've actually topped out my car on the freeway. I waited until 3AM when no other cars were around. I drove my Z way past the 160 MPH mark on the speedometer. I used to street race all the time too. It was pretty fun to blow away a Corvette or a Porsche by 10 car lengths or more and see them pull up at the next light with their tail tucked between their legs. Of course, in retrospect, I've come to realize that street racing is very stupid and dangerous and I would never do it now.

Glen

·
Registered
3,429 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Kinda off topic, but interesting...

There is currently a special "single topic" feature issue of "Hot Rod" magazine on "ENGINES".

Of course their focus is large cubic inch domestic motors, but some of them are EFI and/or forced induction and there are some interesting build-ups.

The had an article on "dyno challenge" where they invited several folks to put their well-built and presumably thoroughly tested CAR on a chassis dyno and guess what their "at the wheel" HP would be.

The result were interesting. Some of the motors must have cost a fortune, as they well built with VERY expensive parts (things like biller connecting rods that cost $1000 a set). Many of the owners did not have CLUE as to how much HP they were putting to the ground. The worst was somebody with a 70s vintage mopar that the owner assumed would peg at 500 HP and it did not make half that. The owner was probably happy because the car looked fantastic, but it was not a 'runner'.

The owner who guessed closest had a 96 or so Impala SS that had moderate amount work. He guessed 300HP. It went 302. (it did not say whether he had previously run it on chassis dyno, that would have accounted for his accuracy).

Anyhow, it would be GREAT to see ANY Pilot or MDX on a 4 wheel chassis dyno to see what the wheel HP is....

I'm guessing there is around 20-30 less than at the crank, or about 220 HP....

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
TESTING

Test post...can't post in some areas, just trying here....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts