Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What is a good synthetic high mileage oil for a 2006 Honda Pilot 2WD

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  can 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’m currently looking to replace a PCV valve instead of having a high cost rear main seal repair done (hoping this will fix up a rear main seal leak) on my 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L with around 183,000 miles.

However, I’ve also read that a good high mileage oil will also help, and since my Pilot is 2WD with the variable cylinder deactivation feature, I believe I’ve read somewhere that this engine requires synthetic oil to maintain the cylinder deactivation feature.

What would be a tried and true synthetic high mileage oil to use? What weight should the oil be and is it advisable to increase the weight thickness due to the high mileage and the rear main seal leak?

I’m also currently discussing on another thread to keep or sell this vehicle and discussing the ATP fluid, however I’ve read that some people like it and some don’t so not sure if I want to use the ATP fluid yet.

#2 · (Edited)
Everyone has their favorite brand of oil! Get what you like, just make sure that it has the API sunburst symbol. Use the recommended grade.

Personally, I like Mobil 1, purchased on sale at Costco. If you really want to get into the weeds on this question, check out Bob is the Oil Guy.

I read reviews on that ATP 205 additive. Some people claim it ruined their engine or transmission. I would not use it myself. If you do try it out, please tell us about your experience!

#3 ·
X2 on the mobile 1 been a mobile user since my GM days back in the 80's ..no issues
I used ATP 205 to reseal my rack and pinion wished i knew that before replacing my rack n pinion on my other pilot. Lucas has a product similar to ATP stuff is sticky as honey .....I heard mixed reviews on that product also .

#5 ·
Has anyone tried the full synthetic that Honda sells ..apparently it's no longer made by Mobile 1 it's manufactured by ConocoPhillips ....

#6 ·
Buy any reputable high mileage oil, for instance Maxlife or Mobil 1, and use the same weight called for in your Owner's Manual. Then just pour it into the 710 port.

#9 ·
+1 for Valvoline Maxlife. My engine used to be slighly oily outside, now that I switched the oil it is completely dry. Also plugs are dry as well, where previously they used to be oily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.