Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Replaced NGK Laser Platinum spark plugs with NGK Ruthenium HX plugs. Oil change with Amsoil 0w-40 Signature Series oil and Amsoil EA filter. Why 0w-40 instead of the recommended 5w-20? The 0w will flow a little faster on cold starts in the winter and the 40 will protect much better on 90F+ (outside air temp.) summer days.

I've been told by two Honda mechanics that using a high quality Synthetic 0w-40 will be fine and won't affect the VVT engine.

Also, I called NGK and verified that sparkplugs.com is an authorized distributor/seller (they didn't have them listed on their website) so, I get real plugs and not counterfeits. Yes, there is a whole world of fake/counterfeit auto parts out there and I would recommend never buying auto parts off of Ebay. If your not buying directly from the stealership, definitely go to the manufactures website and look up their authorized distributor/seller's and if they don't have this information posted give them a call.

Here are some fun for the whole family spark plug pics:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've been told by two Honda mechanics that using a high quality Synthetic 0w-40 will be fine and won't affect the VVT engine.

Have to remember though this is the 3rd generation Pilot forum (2016-2020). The Honda specified oil is 0W20 for these models. The majority of owners here are still under a factory warranty I would guess and I for one would not want to take a chance using a wrong oil viscosity, even if one, two, or more Honda mechanics said it is OK.

They aren't the ones providing any warranty for the engine.

Now once out of warranty, have at it!

·
Registered
93 Posts

Have to remember though this is the 3rd generation Pilot forum (2016-2020). The Honda specified oil is 0W20 for these models. The majority of owners here are still under a factory warranty I would guess and I for one would not want to take a chance using a wrong oil viscosity, even if one, two, or more Honda mechanics said it is OK.

They aren't the ones providing any warranty for the engine.

Now once out of warranty, have at it!
Oops, didn't see the thread is for 2016-2020. Have to find or create this thread for the 2003 thread area.

And also, well last the warranty period (y)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Power steering fluid turkey baster suck and fill... 65k miles, I'll likely do this again this week and if the color looks more like the fluid going in I'll just start doing it every oil change.

Oil and transmission fluid change. My drain pan was about 2" too short so I ended up with a little bit of dribbling on the floor towards the end. Oil used was Mobil1 5W20 I had from my Accord that I wanted to use up. Filter was K&N.

Yes I know the wheels are pointing the wrong way, I had to correct that with the engine off since I determined while draining the oil.

Transmission fluid was the infamous MaxLife... and my setup for putting the fluid in via the dipstick tube. Work wonderful, I can dump a full quart in at a time with no leaks or drips at all. I put in 3.5 quarts and it was right at the low line after a drive. I'm gonna check again this weekend and top off as needed.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Power steering fluid turkey baster suck and fill... 65k miles, I'll likely do this again this week and if the color looks more like the fluid going in I'll just start doing it every oil change.

View attachment 137769

Oil and transmission fluid change. My drain pan was about 2" too short so I ended up with a little bit of dribbling on the floor towards the end. Oil used was Mobil1 5W20 I had from my Accord that I wanted to use up. Filter was K&N.

View attachment 137770

Yes I know the wheels are pointing the wrong way, I had to correct that with the engine off since I determined while draining the oil.

View attachment 137772

Transmission fluid was the infamous MaxLife... and my setup for putting the fluid in via the dipstick tube. Work wonderful, I can dump a full quart in at a time with no leaks or drips at all. I put in 3.5 quarts and it was right at the low line after a drive. I'm gonna check again this weekend and top off as needed.

View attachment 137773
Nice. A couple of observations:

1. "infamous Maxlife" I think you mean "famous and the choice of connoisseurs." :)
  2. I found the turkey baster somewhat slow and messy and quickly switched to a little hand pump I got for VTM-4 fluid. How much power steering fluid?
  3. Get a jug of the "famous" Valvoline MaxLife ATF instead of the quart bottles and spend the savings on a cold beer recompense.
  4. That syringe contraption for the dipstick port looks like something Dr. Evil would use to inject you with truth serum where you don't want the truth to come out.
  5. As always, vote in the infamous poll. Vote early, vote late, but vote often. ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Nice. A couple of observations:

1. "infamous Maxlife" I think you mean "famous and the choice of connoisseurs." :)
  2. I found the turkey baster somewhat slow and messy and quickly switched to a little hand pump I got for VTM-4 fluid. How much power steering fluid?
  3. Get a jug of the "famous" Valvoline MaxLife ATF instead of the quart bottles and spend the savings on a cold beer recompense.
  4. That syringe contraption for the dipstick port looks like something Dr. Evil would use to inject you with truth serum where you don't want the truth to come out.
  5. As always, vote in the infamous poll. Vote early, vote late, but vote often. ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port?
  1. Haha both the Pilot and Sonata like it... and I use the Valvoline full synthetic DexVI in the Traverse (it's power steering uses DexVI as well).
  2. I tried the hand pump method as well. Both work fine for my use. I didn't have any mess with the baster since I have a small metal pail that I can easily get the baster into. I like the idea of keeping my pumps clean for new fluid. Honestly I used the little metal pail a ton, it's one of my go to "tools". It's the 2.5 qt model, I use it almost exclusively for any work on small engines and more than you'd think on my cars.
  3. I did a jug for my first transmission fluid change. The one downside to my contraption is that it is slow. The larger funnel holds a full quart so it's no issue with the quart bottles but with the 4 qt jugs it was a pain. Additionally I find it easier to be more precise with how much fluid I add using quart bottles.
  4. You like that, huh? I can make you one for the mighty sum of $50 shipped...
  5. ALREADY VOTED! You could at least badger the non-voters, I am always a good American and vote!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
294 Posts
'19 EX-L - Transmission cooler, Magnefine ATF filter, cleaned battery ground bolt contact area. Brought to dealer for tranny flush and differential fluid. I wanted it in file as being done. tranny fluid is nasty, I'll do more. Differential was done at 10k per maintenance minder, I wanted it done again. Doing some longer trips with trailer hauling this next week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took it for car wash, it was needed! After that, I applied 303 UV Aerospace Protectant to the black plastic trim to the exterior of the car, they look like new!

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
17 Posts
Had the interior detailed and sanitized after a long, grimy road trip with young children in the back. There was no way I was going to spend 2 hours or more doing that, and I don't have a steam carpet cleaner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Swapped out the incandescent bulbs in the interior lights of my 2020 EX-L AWD with red LED bulbs. I occasionally go out for night sky photography, and this will help with the night vision. They are a little brighter than what I had in my previous vehicle, so we'll see how this goes. Generally leave the switch in the off position.

Here is a link to the bulbs I used, from Amazon:

A thin plastic trim tool made getting the covers out pretty easy after the first one. Used a pair of wide-blade tweezers with a microfiber cloth to pull the bulbs out.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts