Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What gear oil do I need to put in old girls rear end? Attempted a few searches to no avail. So i turn to you.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
You can use Honda or Acura VTM-4 fluid only . . . whichever is cheaper in your area.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Thanks!!!!!! I didn't know Hondas were so fluid specific.
The rear diff is... Look at the size of the rear diff vs. your typical AWD crossover. The clutchpacks and what-not that make the AWD system so good on the Pilot are what require the special fluid. Regular gear oil for the transfer case and join the debate for the transmission fluid (DW-1 vs. MaxLife vs. others).

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rear diff is... Look at the size of the rear diff vs. your typical AWD crossover. The clutchpacks and what-not that make the AWD system so good on the Pilot are what require the special fluid. Regular gear oil for the transfer case and join the debate for the transmission fluid (DW-1 vs. MaxLife vs. others).
Thanks for the info. This forum is awesome! I will probably never need to put it in AWD mode 😑 glad to hear its a good unit though.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Thanks for the info. This forum is awesome! I will probably never need to put it in AWD mode 😑 glad to hear its a good unit though.
It's always in AWD! When you take off from a stop the rear diff is receiving torque and depending on slip detected in the front end it will continue to receive torque or taper off as speed increases. There are some really good technical articles online, it's a great system.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's always in AWD! When you take off from a stop the rear diff is receiving torque and depending on slip detected in the front end it will continue to receive torque or taper off as speed increases. There are some really good technical articles online, it's a great system.
No crap? I saw the VTM-4 Lock button on the dash so I assumed it was selectable 4wd. I thought it was 4WD until you said AWD. Then I started to wonder

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
No crap? I saw the VTM-4 Lock button on the dash so I assumed it was selectable 4wd. I thought it was 4WD until you said AWD. Then I started to wonder
Yup... the lock button forces the rear to stay engaged longer but you can only use it in R, 1 and I believe 2. It also pulls torque as the speed increases. Basically use lock if you are in a low speed, low traction situation but otherwise the system is always on and always monitoring and will do it for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm hoping someone can post relevant links with more info, but here is the rundown:

• Your Pilot is ALWAYS in AWD.
  • It wants to send all torque to front wheels, because its more efficient.
  • HOWEVER there are certain scenarios where performance dictates you should send varying amount of torque to rear wheels: accelerating hard, cornering, etc.
  • For slip scenarios, like in rainy weather, whenever it detects slip on an axle, it will decrease power sent there (to prevent further slipping) and direct it to the other axle.
  • The VTM-4 Lock button: all it does is "lock" the rear axle. That's it. It only works in R, 1, and 2, and will disengage over 18mph. I doubt you will EVER need to use this button.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I got ripped off...
Everyone told me avoid AWD vehicles due to additional maintenance/things that can break. Well....everyone raves about how well the VTM-4 system works and I wish I had it too!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I got ripped off...
Everyone told me avoid AWD vehicles due to additional maintenance/things that can break. Well....everyone raves about how well the VTM-4 system works and I wish I had it too!
But look at the lack of rust because of where you live... Actually, had you bought AWD you could have made even more with a rust free one if you were willing to sell it north of the Mason Dixon line...

Well the good thing is your rear end is not high maintenance :D
Speaking from experience? ;)

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
But look at the lack of rust because of where you live... Actually, had you bought AWD you could have made even more with a rust free one if you were willing to sell it north of the Mason Dixon line...

Speaking from experience? ;)
I had my oil changed mid vacation up in PA a few months ago. They guy at the dealership wouldn’t stop taking about how rust free my Pilot is. Glad I don’t have to worry about that!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I had my oil changed mid vacation up in PA a few months ago. They guy at the dealership wouldn’t stop taking about how rust free my Pilot is. Glad I don’t have to worry about that!
I'm sorry but I live 15 mins from the PA border and can't find a reason to visit PA... were you really hankering for a real cheesesteak sub? Family?

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm sorry but I live 15 mins from the PA border and can't find a reason to visit PA... were you really hankering for a real cheesesteak sub? Family?
Family throughout the north east. Trust me, once I passed back into the south I breathed a sigh of relief. I'm very happy in GA!!

Although I will say Pennsylvania is a beautiful state.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Thanks!!!!!! I didn't know Hondas were so fluid specific.
Yup.
  • Rear differential: VTM-4
  • Front transfer case (post 2005): SAE 90 or SAE 80W-90 viscosity hypoid gear oil, API service classified GL4 or GL5
  • Power steering fluid: a trip to the dealer
  • Brake fluid. DOT 3 or DOT 4 (usually)
  • Antifreeze/coolant: blue (or green) concentrate (or pre-mixed)

• Motor oil: Mobil 1 or Shell Rotella
  • Windshield washer fluid: -45°
  • Transmission: full synthetic Maxlife ATF

·
Registered
960 Posts
And the 2003-2004 transfer case shares the same lube (ATF) with the transmission.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts