Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked in my other thread but no clear definitive answer was given. Is it thread lock or anti-sieze? This bolt is for the lower orifice on the enginge mounting bracket. The top two longer bolts come without the compound and were extremely difficult to remove.

There is evidence of this same compound being used on the oil pump bolts.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,317 Posts
High strength loctite

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
High strength loctite
I don't think that's what it is. It's white underneath. I'm definitely wanting the bolts to stay Locked right, but not so ridiculous you can't get it off. Reading on red Loctite, it requires to be heated to be loosened.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I see the red coating on bolts from time to time. I always assumed it is a thread locking compound of some sort. I would think it is similar to Medium Locktite (Blue) or Nylok Torqu-Patch

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
I asked in my other thread but no clear definitive answer was given. Is it thread lock or anti-sieze? This bolt is for the lower orifice on the enginge mounting bracket. The top two longer bolts come without the compound and were extremely difficult to remove.
View attachment 141256
There is evidence of this same compound being used on the oil pump bolts.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Across brands, colors are not consistent, and Honda likes to add dyes to products to differentiate them as well. Classic example is Permatex Grey = Honda Bond without Blue Dye. Same thing with their head-gaskets, both made by Stone/Ishino, while their branded ones are blue as well. What's the torque rating on those bolts? That will ultimately tell you what thread locker to use.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I'll be using Loctite medium blue as some have suggested. Ty all.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
Looks like Loctite blue comes in different service temperature ranges. 246 is closer than 242 to the Honda stuff. I had no idea there were different variants of blue.
Text Font Line Parallel Screenshot

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts