Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX-L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2005 Pilot EX-L that has no rear entertainment system or any type of screen for the Navigation system. It has the factory cd changer (that I disconnected when installing a dual DIN multi-media Kenwood CD player) and I'm wondering if I can unplug the Nav system ECU like I did to the device that controls garage door openers located in the map/dome light sunglass holder apparatus.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Electronic device Technology Electronics Satellite radio Multimedia
Electronic device Technology Computer Computer accessory Plastic

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
347 Posts
The navigation system is controlled by a cd driver underneath the front passenger door. If your head unit is not using it anymore you can completely remove the driver like I did when I replaced my headunit. And if I may ask, why did you disable the home link connections? Just never used them? I love that they decided to build in garage door openers. Keeps you from having to have a controller for the doors and keeps the clutter down.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
The navigation system is controlled by a cd driver underneath the front passenger door. If your head unit is not using it anymore you can completely remove the driver like I did when I replaced my headunit. And if I may ask, why did you disable the home link connections? Just never used them? I love that they decided to build in garage door openers. Keeps you from having to have a controller for the doors and keeps the clutter down.
On my 98 SE- the only thing I've used the Homelink for the garage door opener.
what else can it be programmed for?
I think the manual said like the garage lights if yours can be programmed?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I never saw anything else in home link other than garage door opening. But maybe I’m wrong

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
After the initial mild annoyance of pairing it to my garage door opener, I love the clutterless convenience of using Homelink rather than the controller. I suppose someone determined enough could set it up to do all kinds of things, like control your home alarm or start your coffee maker, but for me the only lights it turns on are the ones built into the garage door opener unit itself.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX-L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help! I will definitely try to disable my unused Nav system, and unfortunately I live in Montana with no garage...hence, no opener. I just unplugged the Homelink, so if I ever HAVE to part with my Pilot, I can plug it back in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the help! I will definitely try to disable my unused Nav system, and unfortunately I live in Montana with no garage...hence, no opener. I just unplugged the Homelink, so if I ever HAVE to part with my Pilot, I can plug it back in.
How come you unplugged it? Why not just leave it alone? Just curious

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ 242,542 miles
10 Posts
How come you unplugged it? Why not just leave it alone? Just curious
I just don't like ANY electronics using voltage if they are not serving a purpose. But believe me... sometimes I would have been better off just leaving s••t alone. That's why I thought I'd ask here to see if I'm flirting with disaster. Hopefully these devices aren't connected to anything crucial, and a simple "re-plug in" will get me back to where I began. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ 242,542 miles
10 Posts
I just don't like ANY electronics using voltage if they are not serving a purpose. But believe me... sometimes I would have been better off just leaving s••t alone. That's why I thought I'd ask here to see if I'm flirting with disaster. Hopefully these devices aren't connected to anything crucial, and a simple "re-plug in" will get me back to where I began. 🤞🏻
And thanks for responding kindly, I am always surprised by some of the over critical responses on some of these forums. Kinda disheartening to have a question AND be made made fun of. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Let sleeping dogs lie. <-- Well-known idiom.

It seems the potential to cause trouble outweighs any possible benefits.

With all respect, I think there are a lot more things you can do that can have a beneficial effect on your Pilot.

Have a look at this helpful checklist: First-Gen Pilot Buyer's Guide Checklist - The Final...

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts

Thanks for the replies to my hijacked questions.
It does have 3 buttons.
IIRC- the owners manual stated it could be used for things I think Like PlPl said, etc.
Such as home security systems?
Maybe getting the Hot tub ready when you come home? LOL
I'm too lazy to out and get my manual to read it, or look one up online. It's Sunday morning and I have the day off work.
I'm just contemplating the possibilities, and what kind of trouble I can get myself into LOL- or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts