Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What else can cause P3497?

11K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 ·
My 2010 Pilot EX-L threw the P3400 so I replaced the oil pressure sensor. Problem solved. I thought. Well, at least that problem is not manifesting any more.

Around the same time, my alternator started screaming, then started not charging the battery and I got the electrical warning. After reading some of these wonderful Piloteers discussions, checked the front VTM spool valve assy and saw that it was leaking, and there was dirty oil gunk all over from the spool valve down to and through the alternator. Ordered the unobtainable gasket kit off Amazon and a reman Denso, and got to work. I noticed the upper gasket in the kit is narrower than the original. The lower gasket, with the screen, looks identical. So I used a tiny line of Hondabond all along the upper gasket.

Left is original, right is replacement.

Got it all done in about 3 hours of actual work spread over a few days due to running up and down from garage to office to check things in the Honda svc manual and various YouTube videos (and here!), and employer/spousal/offspring interruptions. I let it sit for a couple days after installing the gasket, partly for the Hondabond to cure, adn partly to do the alternator, and partly due to more interruptions. Drove to reset the computer and let it run its diags, and was about to bring it in for the dreaded California smog check, and it threw P3497. Traced that out, and just bit the bullet and bought another oil pressure sensor. Test drove and put the miles on to reset the computer again, and after 97 miles it threw P3497 again. I checked everything in the “DTC P3497 VPS Stuck Off Bank 2” section of the manual that didn’t require all the pressure tools. Tested continuity on the wire from PCM connector B pin 20 to oil pressure switch 1P connector and it seemed to be bad. I thought I damaged the wire while working on the alternator and spool valve gaskets, but I think my test pin in B20 wasn’t up against the contact. When I tested again, I got continuity.

I’m out of ideas except maybe I screwed up the spool valve gasket replacement. Maybe I shouldn’t have used Hondabond if the gasket is meant to expand or something, or maybe I should have used more since the replacement upper gasket is thin. I can do it again, because I ordered 2 gasket sets in case I needed one for the back (Yeah, I know now that it's a different gasket.)

I’m also wondering if there’s a problem with the solenoid, but I know those have other codes - P2648, 2649, 2653, and 2654 for the rear / Bank 1, and 2658, 2659 for the front / bank 2.

Also wondering If I should just order a new spool valve assembly and use the top half and gaskets. (Yes, I read the stories on that one, and dealers not doing the whole job.)

Help!
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I will read the rest of your post, but It's obvious that the new top gasket is not as thick as the OEM. Was what you bought on Amazon advertised as OEM? Can you please give us a link to what you bought so we can avoid it. Thank you.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I'm assuming that this is what you replaced?
Yes, the oil press switch. I got the one for teh back (P3400) from Amazon, listed as ortiginal Honda, and came in legit packaging. Fixed the P3400. I got the one for the front from local Honda dealer.

May have to replace the vtec assembly. This is just the top part without spool.
View attachment 144733
That's what I was wondering. So, Dorman is OK?
Thanks again. You the man!
Peter

#8 ·
If your vehicle were mine, I would start with the basics, knowing that my vehicles timing (/belt) is ok.
  • My VCM would be disabled. I use S-VCM.
  • New/clean Air Filter
  • Clean the MAF. Remove sensor from the intake hose. Use CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. With a few short bursts, spray directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
  • Air intake tube should be crack free, clamps tight.
  • New/good NGK Laser Iridiums Spark Plugs. Cheap plugs cause misfires.
  • Inspect spark plug tubes and coils for oil. Replace spark plug tube seals if oil is present.
  • Clean/rebuild/replace any bad or oil soaked coils.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • 180k+ miles Replace EGR valve
When dealing with an oil pressure switch code, the instructions to change the oil are to solve a low oil or dirty oil problem. There is a possibility that there is something is clogging the small oil passages.

Reactions: titaniumlegs
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.