Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scanning this website for a couple weeks now. The wife is considering one for her next car (to replace her civic). We test drove an EX-L last week. It was a short drive, but I was reasonably impressed. Lots of room in the pilot. Especially compared to the explorer we also test drove.

The explorer had more low end grunt - it accellerated faster with less throttle. However, the automotive reviews, Car & Driver etc. put them both in the high 8 secs for 0-60. Maybe I should have pushed the pedal down further in the Pilot.

Seems that everybody here is happy with their Pilot. So - the question is what don't you like about your pilot?

Great website by the way

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
hazmat said:
I've been scanning this website for a couple weeks now. The wife is considering one for her next car (to replace her civic). We test drove an EX-L last week. It was a short drive, but I was reasonably impressed. Lots of room in the pilot. Especially compared to the explorer we also test drove.

The explorer had more low end grunt - it accellerated faster with less throttle. However, the automotive reviews, Car & Driver etc. put them both in the high 8 secs for 0-60. Maybe I should have pushed the pedal down further in the Pilot.

Seems that everybody here is happy with their Pilot. So - the question is what don't you like about your pilot?

Great website by the way
Welcome to the jungle!! :)

You should be able to find some treads in both the "Comparisons" and "Problems" sections - as well as right here under "General" that deal with just about all the gripes or concerns that other owners have with the Pilot. You will also find a proportionate number of posts about what people DO like about the Pilot!!! :29:

All-in-all, I think you will find that everyone here is pretty happy, 'cept for some minor items. MOSTLY minor - but not all. Just as with any new vehicle.

Enjoy!
:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've scanned thru the "problems" section. Most of the posts there seem to be concerned with manufacturing defects. I guess I'm more interested in "design flaw" . Ie - when everything is functioning as designed, is there anything you still don't like about the pilot.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
hazmat said:
I've scanned thru the "problems" section. Most of the posts there seem to be concerned with manufacturing defects. I guess I'm more interested in "design flaw" . Ie - when everything is functioning as designed, is there anything you still don't like about the pilot.

Thanks for the welcome.
Well, you might try this on nit-picking, or this on pet peeves.

:8:

·
Registered
61 Posts
hazmat said:

Thanks for the welcome.
hazmat,
Again, welcome :), I've only had my Silver Ex-L since the beginning of June 03. No "design flaws" that I have expierenced however there are a couple of "manufacturing defects" but they are what I consider to be minor. I believe you will be satisfied w/the overall product.

·
Registered
725 Posts
These Are Reaaaaaallly Minor

My "beefs" with the PILOT are more convenience and "why didn't Honda do this..." kinda things.

1: I would have LOVED having illuminated cruise control buttons on the steering wheel

2: I would have LOVED having an adjustable second row seat (problem solved in '04 model)

3: I would have LOVED a memory power seat (I'm 5-10 and my wife is 5-3, get the picture?)

4: Fog lights should have been standard on the EX

5: Honda should have caught the sharp edges on the backside of the steering wheel cruise control/radio control buttons

6: Would a compass as standard equipment been so terrible ???

7: Super wussy tire package - need I say more ?!?!?!

As you can see, these things are super minor in the big picture. Would it have been worth it to wait until '04 to buy my PILOT ?? All I can say is, I would have missed out on 12-months of having my PILOT and I'm glad/proud to be a PILOT owner. I wouldn't have changed a thing on my decision when to buy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
colorider said:

Well, you might try this on nit-picking, or this on pet peeves.

:8:
That's what I was looking for. Thanks. Just gotta convince the wife to depart with $30K. Hopefully not too hard as she was the one who first took interest in the pilot.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Okay, I'm the Pilot driving wife, so I'll give you my don't like list.

*Gas mileage is terrible. I think mine is defective. I get about 14 now combined city and highway. All city is now less than that....

*I hate that the front passenger window can not be operated independantly from the rear windows. To have access to that one, I have to have the rear ones unlocked also.

*With the third row up, there really isn't enough room for me to do grocery shopping. During the summer, I just kept it down. Now that school is back, the car is always full of children, so I find myself continually raising or lowering the back row(Luckily, it isn't hard to do though.)

*I hate Honda service. That has to be a single service center though. No way they are all so bad.

*I just have the feeling something isn't "right" with the car. Strange jerky grabbing feelings. Service says that is totally normal(???)!

*I have the feeling Honda enjoys nickel and diming us.....why in the world would rear splash guards and the required cross bars for luggage rack NOT be included with the car.

*Hate the front head rests.

But that said.....I do like the car. I like the DVD player, the car is comfortable to drive(but not to ride in because of the poor design of the front head rests) I do like that to get the large amount of room in the back, that the seat folds easily.....doesn't have to be removed like my van did. I like the stereo(but I think I'm the only one!) The storage is great. Would I buy it again?......Not sure. I think my irritation right now is likely more with the service department than my actual car, except for the mileage issue. I didn't expect it to use gas like a Volkswagon, but neither did expect consumption like an Excursion.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
would have loved to have memory seats....

·
Registered
365 Posts
ramirami said:
would have loved to have memory seats....
I agree, I am 9 inches taller than my wife. Adjustable pedals ( like the Eddie Bauer Explorer) would have been nice also.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D for the money I paid, I think the pilot is all worth it. It looks sharp in all angles and the DVD is a great investment during long trips. The stereo is more than adequate, comparable to my lexus! The sharp edges of the steering wheel buttons was the first thing I observed but after driving it, hardly notice it at all. The brake engaged light is very tiny that it disappears during daytime. Prefers to have a buzzer or chime to remind me that it is engaged(like the lexus!) I wish it had a console mounted gear lever but the extra bins are rather useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
me, too!!

my3kids said:
Okay, I'm the Pilot driving wife, so I'll give you my don't like list.

*Gas mileage is terrible. I think mine is defective. I get about 14 now combined city and highway. All city is now less than that....

*I hate that the front paggenger window can not be operated independantly from the rear windows. To have access to that one, I have to have the rear ones unlocked also.

*With the third row up, there really isn't enough room for me to do grocery shopping. During the summer, I just kept it down. Now that school is back, the car is always full of children, so I find myself continually raising or lowering the back row(Luckily, it isn't hard to do though.)

*I hate Honda service. That has to be a single service center though. No way they are all so bad.

*I just have the feeling something isn't "right" with the car. Strange jerky grabbing feelings. Service says that is totally normal(???)!

*I have the feeling Honda enjoys nickle and diming us.....why in the world would rear splash guards and the required cross bars for luggage rack NOT be included with the car.

*Hate the front head rests.

But that said.....I do like the car. I like the DVD player, the car is comfortable to drive(but not to ride in because of the poor design of the front head rests) I do like that to get the large amount of room in the back, that the seat folds easily.....doesn't have to be removed like my van did. I like the stereo(but I think I'm the only one!) The storage is great. Would I buy it again?......Not sure. I think my irritation right now is likely more with the service department than my actual car, except for the mileage issue. I didn't expect it to use gas like a Volkswagon, but neither did expect consumption like an Excursion.
I have the same feeling about the strange jerky grabby feelings.
I am almost two seconds away from saying.."Something isn't right" when I am driving, but if I do that I know my wife will get all concerned...She's the one who drives our Pilot all the time. Then it will start to bother her and I know she will want to take it in for a check up..:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Can I just say (as the wife, and mommy of 3 also);

That this car has no MAJOR flaws, and if I had it all to do over again, I would absolutely have still bought the Pilot. I'd only have done a few things differently:

Inspected my Silver paint before signing anything (it's uneven)

Made them throw in All weather floor mats, mudguards and cargo tray.

If I could swing it financially, I'd have gone for the RES.

Tire choice by Honda was a huge deficiency. I assume they don't think anyone will take her off road seriously, but in my day to day routine I hear chirping and complaining by the Goodyear Integritys.

Otherwise, versatility, cargo space, 0-60 times(7.6!), looks, 37ft turning radius(civic size!) sophisticated VTM-4 system and very competitive price won me over and makes me proud to own the Pilot.

Highlander is a great choice, but screams "Grandpa's car"
Trailblazer/Envoy/Ascender/Rainier screams "I got this cuz of 0% financing" and "I'll be in the shop soon"
Explorer is just plain clumsy and slow, with the same poor reliabilty ratings as the Chevy quadruplets.

I just think there's no comparison. I'm of course biased

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey, I don't think anyone mentioned the fact that the Pilot is a big car to wash and Zaino :D

But seriously, I am very happy with the Pilot and have no major complaints...

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I also dont like the fact that you cannot get the NAVI and RES togeather

·
Registered
367 Posts
14mpg city-otherwise,good

The city mileage of 14mpg(at 5100 miles) isn't very good.It gets the same city mileage as my V-8 Tundra.The Tundra is rated 15-18 and gets 14-18,the Pilot is rated 17-22 and gets 14-17 to 24 on the highway depending on load(roof basket,bicycle rack on hitch) and speed.
Other than the city mpg,I love it-no problems.It was big enough for 3 adult sized people(with 13"tv+playstation2 on the backseat),and 2 65lb greyhoundsbehind the second row to do a 3700 mile roadtrip in relative comfort.
MY3KIDS.Mileage still crummy?I got one 12mpg city tank after I D/Ced the battery,since then,a grand 14mpg city.Our city driving is like your's;haul kid 3 miles to school,wait in dropoff,and pickup line,drive home.I wonder what that grabby feeling is?Transmission?Sending power to rear wheels?I don't notice any "grabbiness",it does downshift a lot,but fairly smoothly??I keep expecting Honda to suddenly discover that there is a mpg problem with a small % of their Pilots,and to put out a SB to fix it.You seem to be persistently getting "post battery D/C" MPG.I still wonder if your "codes" are resetting,or "learning"or whatever it is that improves the city mpg after power loss.Charlie

1 - 20 of 79 Posts