Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed a SVCM, from the seller in Canada and installed it on the car when I first bought it new. 2020 EX-l. Only until recently with 8k miles on it, every time I let off the gas over 45mph it seems to buck back and forth a little bit. I doubt it's the motor mount at this early stage. Prefer not to bring to dealership as the one near me cause more damage than good.

I'm thinking this is the VCM and my SVCM has failed.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Don’t have a Pilot, do have a ‘17 Honda Ridgeline, which is very similar from what I understand. Only way I can tell VCM is on/off is seeing the VCM on/off displayed on the ScanGauge. Don’t feel anything......just see the display showing on/off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a 2019 Pilot EX-L and a 2019 RL and I can’t detect when VCM is in 3 cylinder mode on either vehicle. Maybe it’s torque converter judder? Deteriorated ATF can cause judder. Has the transmission ever overheated? If the symptom is repeatable, I would take it to the dealer. There have been a few early 6speed transmission failures.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Since the side lights still change color on the 3rd gen, it is a little more difficult to know S-VCM is working. Simply plug in a scanner and see if your engine temperature is defaulted to 165.2. If so, it's working. Also check to see if the wire is intact and the fuse in the device is not blown.

·
Registered
885 Posts
How long after letting off the gas does it buck back and forth and for how long?. The minute you let up on the gas, I think it deactivates the VCM so if anything, the engine should smooth out if you are really in VCM mode and it goes back to normal engine operation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts