Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, what do you tow? I installed a Curt hitch a few months ago and I plan to install a wiring harness and have the dealership install a transmission cooler on my AWD Pilot. I am strongly considering buying a camper within the next year and want to see what everyone is towing with the specs of what they are towing. Attached is a link to what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
As the title says, what do you tow? I installed a Curt hitch a few months ago and I plan to install a wiring harness and have the dealership install a transmission cooler on my AWD Pilot. I am strongly considering buying a camper within the next year and want to see what everyone is towing with the specs of what they are towing. Attached is a link to what I'm looking at.

Save yourself a ton of money and install the cooler too. Not as bad as it may seem. This is my 2017 6-speed.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

FINALLY. Somebody not towing 500 lbs over the limit. I believe your Pilot will be very happy with that size and weight trailer, the floorplan looks like a nice floorplan for couples who want to have something easy to tow and park.

I'd consider an ATF cooler as well, Texas can get awfully hot and I'm sure you will drive through hill country at some point.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

I view towing as taking life from my transmission. Certainly, a transmission cooler is of importance, especially in hot climates. Honda's transmissions get hot even without towing. DW-1 ATF is proven to blacken and fail. Occasionally towing something light weight as what you have chosen, doesn't necessarily concern me as much as the conditions your towing in. Temperature, terrain, speed, duration, tow mode, type of ATF, ATF cooler. Monitoring your ATF temperature is IMO of vital importance if you want your vehicle to last to 200k miles.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts

In answer to your question. I had a second gen pilot 2013 and towed nothing with it. I have a new 2020 Honda Passport Touring and tow nothing with it. When I do tow I rely on my Dodge 2500 Ram PU with the 6.4L engine. I t will tow damn near anything I would ever consider. It has the power, the transmission, suspension and frame for the job with no worries.

That's not to say that you can't tow with a Pilot, butI agree that they are not designed for towing, especially in the long haul, as it will increase the wear and tear on the vehicle.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot EX FWD. I have towed my boat (1500lbs total) 75 miles round trip every weekend since it was new in March 2017. I now have 51200 miles on it of which 11700 have been towing. I live in central FL. I have had zero problems with the 6 speed tranny so far. Twice I have drained and refilled the tranny fluid. I will do this every 2 years or so in hopes of keeping it running well. No ATF cooler on mine.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Our 2016 we installed the Honda OEM hitch with cooler and wiring, we were towing a 5500 pound travel trailer, and really never knew it was back there. Had to install aftermarket trailer brake controller but, yeah she tows very well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Our 2016 we installed the Honda OEM hitch with cooler and wiring, we were towing a 5500 pound travel trailer, and really never knew it was back there. Had to install aftermarket trailer brake controller but, yeah she tows very well.
One more thing it was a 1997 Coleman 24 ft trailer

Now I tow a 12,000 pound fifth wheel with my 2006 6.0L gas 2500HD Silverado

1 - 9 of 9 Posts