·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kirkland Motor Oil....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Everything else with the Kirkland (Costco) brand is 1st rate.... I have no reason to doubt their motor oil.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The motor oil is by Warren, who is a major oil bender.

I asked an oil expert about this specific oil, and this was his answer:
--------------------
If you’re asking Mobil 1 Dexos 1 Gen 2 vs Kirkland / warren / etc. Dexos 1 Gen 2, there will be no noticeable differences in them. The Dexos spec is very stringent.
Mobil 1 is the standard of all full synthetic oils on the market. If your product isn't just as good as it, then you might as well not market it. So yes, most other group 3 full synthetics will perform at about the same level as Mobil 1 does. Will it be just as well protected? In my opinion yes.

This is basically the same as SuperTech Synthetic oil at WalMart, for about the same price, and that is also blended by Warren.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I just can't bring myself to buy anything less than Mobil 1 Extended Performance. It's about $28 At Wal-Mart.

Reactions: 09Touring4x4

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I always pick up the Mobil 1 for the next oil change, but only when it goes on sale.

Speaking of off-brands or generic brands, I've recently noticed that Canadian Tire, the big auto parts and more chain in Canada, sells a brand whose name is "OEM." I'm sure this is done purposefully to confuse people, and so from their line of color-coded coolant/antifreeze for various makes and models, they have blue (dyed, no doubt) Honda/Acura "OEM" antifreeze.

Coolant System Additives | Canadian Tire

Now I'm sure Canadian Tire doesn't brew their own, so I'm curious who manufactures this and how close it is to spec.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I always pick up the Mobil 1 for the next oil change, but only when it goes on sale.

Speaking of off-brands or generic brands, I've recently noticed that Canadian Tire, the big auto parts and more chain in Canada, sells a brand whose name is "OEM." I'm sure this is done purposefully to confuse people, and so from their line of color-coded coolant/antifreeze for various makes and models, they have blue (dyed, no doubt) Honda/Acura "OEM" antifreeze.

Coolant System Additives | Canadian Tire

Now I'm sure Canadian Tire doesn't brew their own, so I'm curious who manufactures this and how close it is to spec.
Lots of people use that, its supposed to be good to go.

I used Zerex Asian Blue when I did mine, its available at WalMart.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm so cheap, I buy motor oil twice a year, when Mobil and Pennzoil run promotions. Mobil does a $12 off per 5 quarts (max 2), so I pick up two of those.... my Mobil 1 comes out to $14 per jug. I stocked up on the "good" A01 Filtech filters in bulk from ebay before they went dry as well.... for $6 a pop.

Mobil isnt running it right now, they usually kick one off in the spring. Sometimes they will do a $5 off coupon, and I stack that on top :)

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm so cheap, I buy motor oil twice a year, when Mobil and Pennzoil run promotions. Mobil does a $12 off per 5 quarts (max 2), so I pick up two of those.... my Mobil 1 comes out to $14 per jug. I stocked up on the "good" A01 Filtech filters in bulk from ebay before they went dry as well.... for $6 a pop.

Mobil isnt running it right now, they usually kick one off in the spring. Sometimes they will do a $5 off coupon, and I stack that on top :)
mobil always has a promotion i sell it and its been 10.00 off plus 10.00 rebate at my job since fall...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Lots of people use that, its supposed to be good to go.

I used Zerex Asian Blue when I did mine, its available at WalMart.
I'm a rebel here.
I flushed all my rebuilt Honda's with distilled water and went with Prestone full strength. It's not a perfect 50/50 mix. More like 70/30, but I saved a few bucks. 50/50 blue is a rip off. Same stuff as the green with 50% H2O. I get more AF for the money buying full strength Prestone, and distilled water is cheap and is needed to flush out old AF anyways.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm a rebel here.
I flushed all my rebuilt Honda's with distilled water and went with Prestone full strength. It's not a perfect 50/50 mix. More like 70/30, but I saved a few bucks. 50/50 blue is a rip off. Same stuff as the green with 50% H2O. I get more AF for the money buying full strength Prestone, and distilled water is cheap and is needed to flush out old AF anyways.
you are a rebel. Honda coolant is HOAT, silicate free, and has phosphates added. Generic Prestone is not. For something I will change every 100,000 miles, risking a heater core clog or leak is not worth the tiny amount of money saved. When I flushed the Pilot at 100k to change the water pump, I was amazed at how spotless the inside of the block and radiator was.

I’ll stick with the manufacturer spec on this. Trying to save $20 every 100k miles doesn’t make any sense to me.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Cars are expensive. Just buy good oil!!
I agree. That’s why you should use Kirkland or Supertech. It is full synthetic and beyond “good”, it is excellent oil from a top blender.

Reactions: TimHodge

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Yes, I said I'm a rebel. I change my coolant frequently. Never had a heater core clog. Clogs come from a neglected engine and letting your radiator goob up from never changing your AF. 50/50 blue is not a guarantee of never having your heater core clogged. Plenty of examples of cores cloged with blue syrup.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I agree. That’s why you should use Kirkland or Supertech. It is full synthetic and beyond “good”, it is excellent oil from a top blender.
If you know it to be good then buy it. I wouldn't put Walmart oil in my car but that's me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, I said I'm a rebel. I change my coolant frequently. Never had a heater core clog. Clogs come from a neglected engine and letting your radiator goob up from never changing your AF. 50/50 blue is not a guarantee of never having your heater core clogged. Plenty of examples of cores cloged with blue syrup.
Your supposed to do coolant flushes nothing rebel about it, but when you do flushes your supposed to change the thermostat also and vice versa...

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
The local Home Depot, about 2 miles away, stocks both Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic and Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic for $22-23. The nearest Costco is at least a half-hour away, so I'd have to spend at least $5 on gas plus an extra hour of time just to get there and back.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The local Home Depot, about 2 miles away, stocks both Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic and Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic for $22-23. The nearest Costco is at least a half-hour away, so I'd have to spend at least $5 on gas plus an extra hour of time just to get there and back.
I don't even have to drive across the street. They bring it to me for free. And last week, this stuff was on sale for $24.99 and free shipping for the 2-pack. That's $12.50 for 5 quarts.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Your supposed to do coolant flushes nothing rebel about it, but when you do flushes your supposed to change the thermostat also and vice versa...
Never changed a thermostat unless I had an issue. Not saying your wrong.
My flush is in 3 steps, similar to an ATF drain and fill. Drain radiator (dump overflow reservoir), fill radiator up with distilled water. Let engine run until thermostat opens an mixes thoroughly with the fresh Distilled H2O. Repeat until it all looks like clear H2O. Drain and fill with Prestone concentrate(or your preferred choice of coolant) + more H20 to get the desired mix according to how much drains out radiator. Taking into consideration water left in engine and hoses. I live in the south so it's not like I even need a 50/50 mix.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts