Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my vehicles - in this case my 2 Pilots, I was going to loosen and retorque my lug nuts today.

I was reading about anti-seize- yay/nay,
and oil- yay/nay,
trans. fluid- yay nay.

Up until now, I've never used anything on my vehicle wheel studs, lug nuts.

If you have a choice, what's yours?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, I used my nifty new fangled breaker bar (It didn't break either) LOL
and loosened all my 08's studs and re-torqued them with my new nifty clicky torquey wrench to 85 ft/lbs.
Then I checked it with my old beam style wrench- about the same.

Some of them were hard to get loose with my new breaker bar too.
I feel more confident now if/when I have to change out the spare donut for a flat using the lug wrench provided. I also feel confident enough to re-tighten w/o having my torque wrench with me in the Pilot. I can re do them at a later time now.

I didn't take them all the way off to put anything on them.

I also pulled down the Donut spare, put 62 psi in it - Fluid filmed everything- checked my rear subframe mounting area- looked good. Very little rust. Sprayed everything down with Fluidfilm until it smelled like my old step Grandpas farm.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Always used a little copper never seize on the studs only , not on the nuts. Always torque the lugs to spec and re-torque after driving a bit. No issues in over 40 years of driving.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've never used anything, but now I have a 30" breaker bar in the rear storage bin that's also a reversable torque wrench! I tested it on all the lug nuts and they all broke free around 85ft-lbs and came back to the same place when tightened to the same setting on the wrench. With a 30" wrench, if the lug nut won't let loose, the stud would probably snap. So I don't plan on abusing the wrench or the car. I keep a spray can of penetrating oil and a can of flat fix in the car as well.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
At most a wire brush, studs and nuts. At least air from my compressor to blow off/out any dust or particles. Torque, drive, retorque.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nothing. But consider ditching that donut spare. That comes out near the top of the list every time someone asks about favorite upgrades. If the rubber is more than 10 years old, it's time to do something, anyway.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
This deserves a poll as the topic is debatable and where one resides could dictate the course of action. Wouldn't hurt to put anti-seize on the mating surface between your rim and rotor/drum.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Instant poll results: Nothing.

Next!

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Nothing, their is no need to.
The Factory did not put anti-seize or oil on the threads, why would we?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
This deserves a poll as the topic is debatable and where one resides could dictate the course of action. Wouldn't hurt to put anti-seize on the mating surface between your rim and rotor/drum.
I also clean up those surfaces and coat them with some anti seize. Living in an area with at least 4 months of salt on the roads required me to use a little on the studs too. I had experienced issues with seized lugs and broken studs in the past so that dictated the use of the paste.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Instant poll results: Nothing.

Next!
OK, updated poll results... :)

Anti-Seize2 people
NothingEverybody else
LocktiteNobody yet

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you put any lube or antiseize on the threads you really need to adjust the torque. The factory torque spec is usually for dry threads for lugnuts. If you put something on them and use the dry torque you will overtorque them. The lubricant will make the fastener easier to turn. How much to adjust to torque for dry vs wet will depend on what you out on them.

I usually just clean the studs with a wire brush and install them dry. If I have one that seems like it has a lot of resistance when I am putting the lugnuts on I just replace the lug nut and run a rethreader down the stud.

I did say usually, I have been know to use a little spray lubricant and antisieze on a rare occasion. Boat trailers etc.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Depends on the customers attitude :cool:
Is that the dealership equivalent of a waiter spitting in the food of a rude, entitled and oafish customer? :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts