1761 - 1780 of 1832 Posts

·
Registered
12,238 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Shouldn't you replace the inner tie rod at the same time you replace the outer tie rod = always replace both inner and outer together (and on both sides as the same time ?) ???
I did not consider doing the inner. It is all tight now, no play anymore.
I do have left and right inners sitting on my shelf. This weekend (maybe) I will replace left and right.
Thanks for the heads up. Did not even think of doing them in pairs.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Ideally yes, the inner rod has a joint that wears as well. Replacing the inner requires removing the outer, for a little more money you don’t have to worry about having to tear it all apart again and do another alignment.
I do not think I need an alignment, I counted the threads on the tie rod, so should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 235,500 Miles
1,125 Posts
Did my 1st suspension check today. I have no experience with suspension or drive shafts (cv axles). Determined the passenger side drive shaft needs replacing. Driver’s side seems fine from what I can tell. Need new lower control arms, stabilizer links, and power steering control arms for each side. Bushings and dust covers are ripped and cracked on components.
I’m believing that my high speed shudder issue is due to the slop at the inner joint of the front right driveshaft. Will get a video link up tomorrow for your judgment. Also plan on taking to trusted mechanic for his diagnosis and while there have him find oil leak -appears to be crank seal unless my slight power steering pump leak makes it down to oil drain pan.
Will report back!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Update from trusted mechanic:
New OEM Front axles
New OEM Front Lower Control Arms
Nearly $2k. Comes with 3-yr 36k warranty

Power steering pump- I will replace (was the reason for oil at drain pan)
Rear Springs-Soft so will wait
Stabilizer Links- Not mentioned- they are still tight but will replace myself due to cracks in covers
Small leak at Power Steering Rack- Big Labor-5hrs. Do another time. I will monitor.
That’s it!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
WOW & OUCH !!! Thx for letting us know. I'm going to do struts, axles, LCAs, and inner and outer tie rods sometime soon. Did stabilizer links and rear shocks a bit ago.
Yeahhhh…$1893.45 out the door. Nowadays I get dizzy laying on my back looking at the bottom of autos. Price from Majestic Honda =$1193.67 delivered. Figure diagnosis and labor for $700 bucks is worth it. Not really wanting to lay on back and get man handled by heavy parts while dizzy. Hate to miss the learning experience- but would be very uncomfortable for me. Now… if I had a lift, I would have to try it myself!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeahhhh…$1893.45 out the door. Nowadays I get dizzy laying on my back looking at the bottom of autos. Price from Majestic Honda =$1193.67 delivered. Figure diagnosis and labor for $700 bucks is worth it. Not really wanting to lay on back and get man handled by heavy parts while dizzy. Hate to miss the learning experience- but would be very uncomfortable for me. Now… if I had a lift, I would have to try it myself!
Yep I hear ya - safety first always ! I'm lucky, got a Launch TLT240SC out in the machine shed, goes up right about 6' so I can stand up under it.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Inner Joint of Driveshaft Play Video:

Your thoughts on whether it’s worn out or good will be Appreciated 😁👍👍
New OEM Front axles
So... yup, yup, and I get it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Researching Power Steering Pumps (OEM). Sure is tempting to be the Forum Guinea Pig and just buy a seal kit since it functions fine- just leaks a little. Guess the worst that could happen is I wasted valuable fishing time, $40 and ultimately had to buy whole pump since new seals didn’t work?

1761 - 1780 of 1832 Posts