Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1541 - 1560 of 1604 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
94 Posts
Autozone honored the warranty after it tested bad for too high voltage drop. I walked out of the store with a new replacement starter. I’d say it was free, but it still cost me two hours of my time to remove, return, and install it. Not exactly what I was planning to do when I got home this evening, but my wife was happy when it cranked and started. Then she drove it around for a bit and said the idle was really rough . . . I was thinking this thing is starting to fall apart until I remembered it needs to go through the idle relearning process.

If I had to do this over, I would have bit the bullet and purchased an OEM remanufactured starter three years ago instead of cheaping out. I think at that time OEM was $350 while aftermarket was $160. But the OEM one lasted 13 years; aftermarket not even 3. Lesson learned.
Yes, I don't for the life of understand why places like auto zone sell such cheaply made parts when they just have to take them back. I wish that better made parts were sold over the counter

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
171 Posts
If I had to do this over, I would have bit the bullet and purchased an OEM remanufactured starter three years ago instead of cheaping out. I think at that time OEM was $350 while aftermarket was $160. But the OEM one lasted 13 years; aftermarket not even 3. Lesson learned.
Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,566 Posts
Yes, I don't for the life of understand why places like auto zone sell such cheaply made parts when they just have to take them back. I wish that better made parts were sold over the counter
I’m guessing they’re hoping you’ll either:
1) Sell the vehicle before the warrantied part fails
2) Forget the part is under warranty when it fails
3) Have lost the receipt and have to buy another one

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’m guessing they’re hoping you’ll either:
1) Sell the vehicle before the warrantied part fails
2) Forget the part is under warranty when it fails
3) Have lost the receipt and have to buy another one
That's true, but if the suits knew the car market, they would understand that people are holding on to their cars longer and longer. When I worked for Parts America (western auto) in 1997-8, people were bringing in failed alternators after a year and a half. The average age of a car then was under 10 years. Today, it's almost 13. AZ and the others are facing competition from all the way around. Rock Auto, Amazon, 1AAuto, Ebay and many others. They had better get their [email protected]#$ together or they are going to go the way of Sears and Montgomery Ward.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,566 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Replaced the stock radio/CD/DVD player with a Kenwood DMX4707S + Crux SWRHN-62D Wiring Interface (for volume/mode control on the steering wheel) and added/wired a backup camera mounted on top of the license plate. The backup camera is wired to the reverse power so the image only shows up on Kenwood when the pilot is in reverse.

It's super nice to have CarPlay and Android Auto in an aged vehicle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
911 Posts
Continued logging the rpm, gears, and speed in which we feel the Pilot shake. Seems to be a left & right shake at a frequency of 3-5 per second. Stay tuned for a post coming your way soon! 😉😁👍👍

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
519 Posts
Where did you get the radio? Crutchfield was out of pretty much every double DIN I wanted.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
243 Posts
@ccbcc

How are you handling the subwoofer?

Did you lose any functionality with that unit?

I don't see a forward looking camera option for that unit. Is that right?

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
How are you handling the subwoofer?

Did you lose any functionality with that unit?
Sorry for jumping in and answering for him, but yes, he'll tell you he lost the factory subwoofer, which is powered by the factory head unit.

But perhaps he added a separate subwoofer amp. Some folks put one under a seat, or even in the rear headrest storage cubby.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Taking a look at side motor mount and discovered what looks to be a leaking power steering pump. No squeals or other signs of trouble from power steering- just fluid sprayed on TB Cover & PS pump. Reservoir is at minimum line with cold engine.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
You've done the o-ring switcheroo yet or not?

But sometimes, with apologies to Freud, a steering pump is just a steering pump.
Gas Entertainment Font Event Electric blue

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
You've done the o-ring switcheroo yet or not?

But sometimes, with apologies to Freud, a steering pump is just a steering pump. View attachment 155425
Yes sir- but only the low pressure side. Going to clean all residue off and try to pinpoint. It looks like it’s from around the pulley which I think would mean a new pump from Rock Auto.
Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Continued logging the rpm, gears, and speed in which we feel the Pilot shake. Seems to be a left & right shake at a frequency of 3-5 per second. Stay tuned for a post coming your way soon! 😉😁👍👍
Very cool. Do you have a picture of your test setup? I want to bring these issues to an end if I can't get rid of the grating tire noise. These are otherwise excellent vehicles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes sir- but only the low pressure side. Going to clean all residue off and try to pinpoint. It looks like it’s from around the pulley which I think would mean a new pump from Rock Auto.
Thanks!
I replaced my steering pump about a month ago. Solved the whirring problem ( I think), though something else is coming back. I got mine on Amazon. $67

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Very cool. Do you have a picture of your test setup? I want to bring these issues to an end if I can't get rid of the grating tire noise. These are otherwise excellent vehicles.
All I did was replace an oring-sorry no testing

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Starting cleaning Power Steering Pump an noticed something sticking out from Timing Belt cover. Feels like a rubber seal.
Automotive tire Tints and shades Flash photography Automotive wheel system Font

Is that what it is? Do the covers have seals on them? Edit- Yes they have seals- guess it’s more like a dampener from vibration/heat clashing with plastic?

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
1541 - 1560 of 1604 Posts