Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1481 - 1500 of 1509 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
61 Posts
Changed front side motor mount after getting timing belt replaced. On a prior visit to a an unnamed corporate dinosaur Tire shop that tried to rip me for motor mounts, telling me that a "collapsed" side motor mount was the cause of a radial pull, they told me that they could replace both for the tidy sum of $600. I said no. When the other mechanic brought it to my attention, I decided to replace the mount for about $30 off Amazon. I normally wouldn't buy from them, but I was pressed for time. Oreilly's wanted $102.00 for it. What a ripoff. It was an easy install for a change. We will see how she performs.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,367 Posts
I finally got around to bleeding the brakes on the Pilot this morning. The pedal felt a bit spongy the last time I drove it a couple weeks ago, which was my reminder that it was overdue. Then I checked my records and it had been about eight years since I had a shop perform the service . . . oops, I didn't realize that much time had gone by. The old fluid in the master cylinder had a medium brown tinge to it, so I was surprised that the collected fluid in the bottle was more of a greenish brown shade. There was also a bluish colored pasty substance on the bottom of the master cylinder filter. Anyone have a theory to where the bluish and greenish colors came from? Here is a photo of the old fluid. I didn't have my phone handy to take a photo of the master cylinder filter.

Drinkware Liquid Bottle Solution Oil

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
The old fluid in the master cylinder had a medium brown tinge to it, so I was surprised that the collected fluid in the bottle was more of a greenish brown shade. There was also a bluish colored pasty substance on the bottom of the master cylinder filter. Anyone have a theory to where the bluish and greenish colors came from? Here is a photo of the old fluid. I didn't have my phone handy to take a photo of the master cylinder filter.

View attachment 154689
Hygroscopicity? If that's even a word?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,378 Posts
I finally got around to bleeding the brakes on the Pilot this morning. The pedal felt a bit spongy the last time I drove it a couple weeks ago, which was my reminder that it was overdue. Then I checked my records and it had been about eight years since I had a shop perform the service . . . oops, I didn't realize that much time had gone by. The old fluid in the master cylinder had a medium brown tinge to it, so I was surprised that the collected fluid in the bottle was more of a greenish brown shade. There was also a bluish colored pasty substance on the bottom of the master cylinder filter. Anyone have a theory to where the bluish and greenish colors came from? Here is a photo of the old fluid. I didn't have my phone handy to take a photo of the master cylinder filter.

View attachment 154689
This is typical of what old brake fluid looks like. It has absorbed quite a bit of moisture for sure. The pasty stuff at the bottom is corrosion. So ya, don't wait so long between brake fluid flushes. 🤓
Blue Black Lighting Yellow Font

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
My manual says 6-years - seems kinda long. What’s your preference?
Thanks
Yes, I agree, that is to long. I’d say 4 years. I just flushed a 2016 Nissan NV with original brake fluid and it was already dark like the picture above, so it lit a fire under me to check my other vehicles. Color says it all. If it’s darkening replace it even sooner if necessary.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,367 Posts
This is typical of what old brake fluid looks like. It has absorbed quite a bit of moisture for sure. The pasty stuff at the bottom is corrosion. So ya, don't wait so long between brake fluid flushes. 🤓
View attachment 154709
Yup, definitely planning to do this a lot sooner next time.
And I guess I should check the Tacoma since its brake fluid is the original stuff. The truck is seven years old.
Does the brand of fluid make a huge difference? I used the Autozone store brand on the Pilot.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
Yup, definitely planning to do this a lot sooner next time.
And I guess I should check the Tacoma since its brake fluid is the original stuff. The truck is seven years old.
Does the brand of fluid make a huge difference? I used the Autozone store brand on the Pilot.
I’ve always used any low priced Dot 3 I can buy. Dot 3 is synthetic regardless of brand. Never had an issue. Some will advocate moving to Dot 4.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Nope, I-81. Watertown to Central Square.
So, Lake Effect snow. Know I-81 well, too. Got a good friend who shares his time between his two places in Rome and Florence. Not the ones in Italy, the ones near Camden. Not the Camden in New Jersey, the one in Central NY. But if you're there, you probably already knew that. :)

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
489 Posts
Yep, we're off of 49, across the street from the North shore of Lake Oneida. Yep, know Rome a little bit, and Camden was well. Practically neighbors.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
61 Posts
Completed a 470 mile journey with the Pilot today. Noticed a steering wheel shake at 78-80 all the way up to 90+. Also picked up the fun code P0420. Guess I need a new smog device (possibly).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Changed the oil. Did some inspection of things and there was some serious weeping. At first I thought it was ONLY the water pump but noticed it was me as well, contemplating having to d^ck with that thing.

Drove in some of Upstate New York's finest weather. Pilot did well. View attachment 154686
And at night? Heck with that! Driving on snowy roads just sucks.

Completed a 470 mile journey with the Pilot today. Noticed a steering wheel shake at 78-80 all the way up to 90+. Also picked up the fun code P0420. Guess I need a new smog device (possibly).
Seems like on any vehicle, the p0420 is always dreaded big time.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
Emission P0420 or 430 code doesn't automatically mean it needs a new O2 sensor or catalytic converter. Sometimes it's actually accurate, that the engine is not running as well as it should be.
If 2wd, disabling the VCM will make a huge improvement in the overall performance of the engine. This helps keep engine oil out of the catalytic converters.
Has all the basic maintenance been done?

1481 - 1500 of 1509 Posts