Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1461 - 1480 of 1509 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
06 EX-L here with no RES and no cassette player. I had one in my 04 EX-L RES. I figured it got discontinued.
That's what I thunk
Font Gas Symmetry Electric blue Event

, that the last time a cassette came stock was 2005, but the institutional memory of this forum
Gas Font Electric blue Circle Symbol

seems to believe otherwise.

Still looking for
World Font Art Urban design Logo
proof positive.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
832 Posts

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
So envious. :love:

Still not seeing any 2006 and after with a stock cassette player, as posited by @xGS.

BTW, @ConrodM, is the CD player a one-disc or a six-disc model?

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
So envious. :love:

Still not seeing any 2006 and after with a stock cassette player, as posited by @xGS.

BTW, @ConrodM, s the CD player a one-disc or a six-disc model?
6-Disc. For the Last few years when I turn off the motor & pull keys out, the 6-disc player keeps cycling for a minute or two. Not sure what’s up with that. Also does it on start up.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
6-Disc. For the Last few years when I turn off the motor & pull keys out, the 6-disc player keeps cycling for a minute or two. Not sure what’s up with that. Also does it on start up.
My guess is that the 6-disc player is just doing some housecleaning so a disc doesn't get stuck or jammed in an interim position.

Is the 6-disc player built into that head unit, not separate like under the seat or something? Your DVD player is separate unit a little below the main head unit in your front console stack, like on my 2006 w/RES, right?

If yes to all of this, you can see me coming with my next big question: I wonder if I can swap in one of those 2005 RES head units tit-for-tat for my 2006 RES head unit, and everything would work as before, but with the added joy of a built-in cassette player for my awesome collection of mix tapes that was the thrill of a generation. :)

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
If yes to all of this, you can see me coming with my next big question: I wonder if I can swap in one of those 2005 RES head units tit-for-tat for my 2006 RES head unit, and everything would work as before, but with the added joy of a built-in cassette player for my awesome collection of mix tapes that was the thrill of a generation. :)
Copy your precious awesome mix tapes onto CDs.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Copy your precious awesome mix tapes onto CDs.
Already done years ago, then onto my phone as audio files I play through my GTA Car Kit Bluetooth into the Pilot's 7-speaker system with very good clarity (and bass, even). That GTA Car Kit is a quality kit.

But I miss the haptic experience of popping in a tape. I also miss an old cassette tape's wow and flutter, barely perceptible to the connoisseur's ear because I used top-of-the-line Maxell XL II-S cassettes, yet an integral part of the authentic audio experience. Just like I deliberately did not add scratch and pop filters when I converted my original 1974 copy of Get It On! to digital. Sounds as warm as a crackling fireplace.

Get It On! (1974, Vinyl)

Rectangle Font Poster Symbol Advertising

You can still buy a copy here...

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
I can upload some excerpts if anybody's interested. :cool: Track listing is above. I can do requests.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
670 Posts
I wonder if I can swap in one of those 2005 RES head units tit-for-tat for my 2006 RES head unit, and everything would work as before, but with the added joy of a built-in cassette player for my awesome collection of mix tapes that was the thrill of a generation. :)
From what I found about the head unit wiring 2003-2008 was the same.
When I replaced the single din AM/FM CD Player with the NOS AM/FM CD Player Cassette unit in the 06 LX the main plug matched. Have to use the 06-08 mounting brackets.
I did however have to cheat a bit to add the tweeters, and sub-woofer.
Got the Sub-Woofer plug, and speakers out of the boneyard. Tied the Tweeters into the front door wiring.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
My guess is that the 6-disc player is just doing some housecleaning so a disc doesn't get stuck or jammed in an interim position.

Maybe- I drove company truck since 2005 and Pilot was wife’s vehicle. I just don’t remember it doing it?

Is the 6-disc player built into that head unit, not separate like under the seat or something? Your DVD player is separate unit a little below the main head unit in your front console stack, like on my 2006 w/RES, right?
Not under seat:

No clue but maybe pic will help?
Car Motor vehicle Steering part Radio Satellite radio

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Welcome back, listeners. This next request goes out to the happy couple of @xGS and @ConrodM.

Sadly for them, I can't sing along, but I can tell them, "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars."

[Remove .pdf file extension to play.]

Attachments

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,378 Posts
Welcome back, listeners. This next request was made by the happy couple of @xGS and @ConrodM.

Sadly for them, I can't sing along, but I can tell them, "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars."

[Remove .pdf file extension to play.]
Font Technology Brand Electric blue Circle

😩

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
As for myself, my favorite to sing along to is the Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show number.

Mouthing the prefect rhyme of "gitcha" with "pitcha" would turn the Bard of Avon himself into his green-eyed monster, and the LP's original snap, crackle and pop gives you the munchies for Rice Krispies.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,863 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
159 Posts
My 2003 has a stock in-dash CD player, DVD (cd) player for the RES and a stock 6 disc cd changer under the driver seat. I’ve never used any of them!

I used the red and white audio jacks for the RES/aux input to put in a Bluetooth audio receiver. So I just pair to that and have Spotify. Super clean and easy install and I’m able to retain the stock look (don’t have to worry about theft) and utilize my steering wheel controls.

I use the top CD player to hold my 6.5” Garmin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
My 2003 has a stock in-dash CD player, DVD (cd) player for the RES and a stock 6 disc cd changer under the driver seat. I’ve never used any of them!

I used the red and white audio jacks for the RES/aux input to put in a Bluetooth audio receiver. So I just pair to that and have Spotify. Super clean and easy install and I’m able to retain the stock look (don’t have to worry about theft) and utilize my steering wheel controls.

I use the top CD player to hold my 6.5” Garmin.
Very cool!! Does your 6-Disc changer make a noise each time 12v is added or taken away? Mine does and it’s kinda annoying 😂

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
To each his own, but at least if the mood strikes you can still play your mix tapes with that cassette player. :)

BTW, was that skull dood OEM, or just an aftermarket reminder that the transmission's days are numbered? :p

You ought to get this matching dood.
Font Electric blue Symmetry Pattern Circle

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
61 Posts
Well, I am almost done with the "sound deadening project" on my 2006 EXL. For this round, I removed the rear trim panels, the seats, the kick panel trim and the door trim (not the door panels themselves).. I don't have any pretty pictures to show because I wasn't thinking about that during the whole ordeal. It's a tough process. I have had the car out for about a week. I began working last Friday. The toughest part of this is probably dealing with the seats, the seat belts and the large rear panels.

Day 1 and 2: On the front part of the car, I installed B-Quiet Mass loaded vinyl/closed cell foam on the floor and about 1/3 the way up the firewall. (as much as I could see of it anyway). I did not remove the center console as there were a couple of fastener screws that were frozen. They appeared to have loctite.

Day 3 and 4: I moved to the rear of the car and removed the huge rear panels, the trunk, the rear seats, and the seat belts. I folded the carpet to the front of the car... I installed some scrap closed cell foam from my company and the remaining Mass Loaded vinyl on the wheel wells.

Day 5 and 6: Reinstalled the carpet on the front area and installed the rest of the closed cell foam behind the front seats all the way to the rear. Reinstalled the door carpet trim and the rear panels.

Day 7: Installed the front and rear seats, and the rear seatbelts. Laid in the front seats

Comments (UPDATED) - I noticed that Honda does have some noise reduction on the floor already. It is the asphalt looking goop applied to over 70 percent of the floor area. I assume it was applied because of ease of manufacturing, however, it made applying the dynamat junk kind of an affectation. My decision to apply plenty of mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam a reasonable one.

Today: Finished the installation. Car will be ready.

The before:

No treatment: 80 db on rough aggregate surface 50 mph
76 db on smooth surface street 50 mph
80-81 DB 80 mph on concrete highway

Ambient temps 70 deg F

Doors only: maybe a .5 to 1 DB reduction on these surfaces

Tire change to Kuhmo HP71 tires: same, but reduction in high frequency whirring at highway speeds.

I will be posting after segments later in the week or weekend.

UPDATED:

After results

The car felt appreciably quieter on surface streets. The measured results were disappointing. Anyone claiming 10db noise reductions are fudging the data, unless of course they are doing something to the glass. I just don't think it's possible.

No treatment: 78 db on rough aggregate surface 50 mph
74 db on smooth surface street 50 mph
78-79 DB 80 mph on concrete highway (sometimes 80)
Ambient temp: 37 degrees

Getting a noise reduction at low speeds (65 mph or less) is possible, however, reducing highway noise is problematic as wind resistance and maybe drivetrain noise seems to overtake the tire noise somewhat. Changing tires did not appreciably help the situation, although the Kuhmos are a much better handling tire than the T-rated junk typically available for our cars. Tread lifetime are TBD. I don't believe that they will go the 60k miles that they say they will.

Temperature is also a factor in noise transmission. According to what I have read, temperature has a lot to do with noise transmission and lowers the effectiveness of any insualtion installed. I will give it that, however, I set the temperature inside the vehicle at 75 to 80 degrees in a car with dual zone readouts. This car doesn't have them, so its typically at the end of the white zone.

Conclusion: this was a pain in the ass job. There were places where a lot could go wrong. Fortunately, I readily recovered from the few mishaps that occurred. (forgetting to make an electrical connection here and there and panel fitment problems.) There wasn't rom to install some of the lower seat trim on the rear seats because of floor thickness...)

The results were there in terms of noise quality on some roads, but not immediately measurable. I will make more measurements to make sure. I do believe that the air temperature has something to do with it, probably 0.5db or so.

I don't for the life of me understand why Honda engineers haven't attacked noise on their vehicles. From what I have heard, newer pilots are afflicted with the same issues, but slightly less so. Honda has had a bad track record on noise. Acura, which I know is Honda.., has solved the problem for them. Honda should have built these cars with a little more attention to their perennial problems of highway noise. Otherwise, this car is above average in terms of packaging and with excellent utility. Styling is very good, though the interior could benefit from the use of softer plastics. Switchgear and ergonomics are very good, though the column mounted shifter is awkward. It could be improved with a differnknob and maybe coloring. The Pilot is average on power and handling and above average on engine smoothness. Maintainability is excellent and reliability is good.

1461 - 1480 of 1509 Posts