Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1221 - 1240 of 1255 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
On my 08 SE- Yesterday- I was able to get my stripped bolt head of my Oil drain plug out. Changed the 'earl' and filter with some Full Syn Castrol 5w20. Drove it to work today.

Now with :

199,450miles!

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
The ratchet strap may not be a bad idea on older rust-belt vehicles with cable strapped spare tires. The damages from a wayward spare tire that breaks free can be catastrophic. Think there are plenty of stories about pickup trucks losing not only the tire but the rusty cross member. Perhaps something more durable than a ratchet strap can be used to supplement an old hoist cable.
So I guess what your saying is a new hoist does no good if what it's bolted to falls out spare tire and all. I'd say it's time to get another vehicle.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
Replaced the third brake light bulb. They could have provided two more inches of wire to make it easy, but no.
Think about all that money Honda saved themselves by making your job more difficult.😁

·
Registered
2017 EX-L, rack, boards, hitch 2007 Ex-L Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V, rack
87 Posts
'07 - Not today but today and past couple days: bulbs (low beams, fog lights, front marker, rear turn); replaced lost/mangled clips on lower cover and engine cover; oil/filter/washer (Mobile1 Full Synthetic, High Mileage, Extended Performance 5W20 and Mobile1 110A filter); new gas cap (kept getting alternatively "check gas cap" or a couple of "Cat/Evap" codes on the CEL); replaced AC Low pressure Schrader valve and filled with R134a with leak detector; visual inspection (underneath and tires/pads/rotors) etc; topped off fluids; recycled old oil at AutoZone; and, got the last 5 jugs of VML at only area Walmart with them in stock.

Was gonna do a 3x drain and fill. Don't get old - asked son where the old jug of VML (with 1/5 left) in the shed came from and he reminded me that I told him to buy it and do a drain and fill last summer and that he spec'd it and did it and just never got rid of the jug (I had forgotten and he reminded me that the '07 drain plug was a "B" to get to and he lost the 24mm washer in the bay a couple of times but found it and checked it, cleaned it, and reinstalled it). I had forgotten this.

"Ahh, Dad, she shifts like butter now . . . well, maybe like that 'fake butter' stuff!"
"You mean "margarine?"
"What? What's that?"
"Ugh!"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gave her 4.3L of the good stuff today. My first oil change since I bought her as the shop I had the inspection done also did the oil change.

After hosing down the wheel well and front cowl of all the lake sand I had fun with the other day, I also swapped out the 3rd and 4th gear oil pressure switches. I had random hard shifting and some delay up 2-3-4, and hard down shift when stopping even after the 3x drain and fill with Maxlife ATF. I should put up a post about this because this '08 tranny is much different from all the YouTube vids and other posts I've seen on here. The 4th gear switch is accessible from the top and there's a wire harness running over it which removing a couple clips and 10mm holding brackets gave enough space to fit the box end of the 22mm wrench in.
Green Waste containment Waste container Plastic bottle Automotive tire

OEM straight from the dealer RKE $$.
Material property Font Plastic Transparency Event

Sleeve Font Chemical compound Plastic wrap Transparency

Motor vehicle Product Automotive lighting Organism Mode of transport

Disregard the crap on the threads of the old switch, it fell in the sand falling off my Pilot from the trip to the lake. :)
Automotive lighting Fluid Font Chemical compound Gas
Fluid Font Gas Road surface Asphalt

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,188 Posts
Gave her 4.3L of the good stuff today.
How much did that 5l jug of Shell Rotella cost you?

Here's a money-saving tip for the next time from an enlightened nickel-squeezer: Get
MotoMaster 5W20 Synthetic Engine Oil, 5-L from Canadian Tire (yes, I said it, Canadian Tire) the next time it's on sale (usually less than half price). Set up a Sale Alert on their site.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-5w20-synthetic-engine-oil-5-l-0288712p.html

Font Machine Liquid Camera accessory Auto part

Automotive tire Font Tire Automotive wheel system Camera accessory

Do you honestly think Canadian Tire has its own oil lab and production facilities? "Developed with Shell® Technology" is their way of saying it's just another production run at the Rotella plant, but into black jugs this shift. [Thanks to your Atlantic cousin @Maritime for the confirmation.]

·
Registered
139 Posts
How much did that 5l jug of Shell Rotella cost you?

Here's a money-saving tip for the next time from an enlightened nickel-squeezer: Get
MotoMaster 5W20 Synthetic Engine Oil, 5-L from Canadian Tire (yes, I said it, Canadian Tire) the next time it's on sale (usually less than half price). Set up a Sale Alert on their site.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-5w20-synthetic-engine-oil-5-l-0288712p.html

Do you honestly think Canadian Tire has its own oil lab and production facilities? "Developed with Shell® Technology" is their way of saying it's just another production run at the Rotella plant, but into black jugs this shift. [Thanks to your Atlantic cousin @Maritime for the confirmation.]
I agree.
I got it on a 50% off sale at CndTire for like $30. I debated picking up a few jugs but didn't and should have.
I now see they have it on Clearance and suspect it's because of their new line that you just mentioned, but still $45...
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rotella-gas-truck-5w20-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289623p.html

I recently bought their MM OE premium oil for my other vehicles. I'll be watching for it to go on sale again as they go down to around $30.
Automotive cleaning Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Font

·
Registered
10,188 Posts

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
I agree.
I got it on a 50% off sale at CndTire for like $30. I debated picking up a few jugs but didn't and should have.
I now see they have it on Clearance and suspect it's because of their new line that you just mentioned, but still $45...
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rotella-gas-truck-5w20-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289623p.html

I recently bought their MM OE premium oil for my other vehicles. I'll be watching for it to go on sale again as they go down to around $30.
View attachment 152510
The Canadian Tire site allows you to sign up for a sale alert.

Font Rectangle Number Brand Circle

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Bought a chair cushion for my Pilot and put it in today
Does it have cooling and/or heating features, besides tuchas (practicing my Yiddish) comfort properties? :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is my room mate's pilot but I am the mechanic.

So recently changed the ATF, using Valvoline maxlife. Right about one gallon drained out, it was brown but not black.
Probably do another drain and fill next month.

Room mate had new tires put on. The front ones were so worn that only the will of God kept them from blowing out.
Back ones were still okay but old and unmatched. THAT costed a mint, like $800 for the good ones and a warranty.

Replaced the front driver ABS sensor. The old one came out in pieces then I had to clean out the bore so the new one would even fit. ABS works fine now.

Stereo would not accept the security code so a new aftermarket installed. Now she can enjoy her horrid music while driving.

Think about all that money Honda saved themselves by making your job more difficult.😁
They probably saved a whopping 50 cents per vehicle in manufacture cost by doing that!

Took the old girl to the beach today.
View attachment 152496
Must be rough being close to the beach in warm weather like this.

1221 - 1240 of 1255 Posts