Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
399 Posts
If you're dabbing a little behind your ears and/or elsewhere, you're doing it wrong. It's not enchanting Eau de Max. :p

Of course you used VTM-4 fluid only for your rear diff, right?

Congrats on the full size spare. You are now a Piloteer worthy of the name. :)
But I'm still required by statute to ask, "Valve side up or down?"
I've got a couple plastic oil drain cans that I use for catching fluids, but one doesn't have a lid so whatever you catch in it will dissipate the odor into the garage. The Honda DW-1 ATF doesn't smell bad at all, but the Maxlife smells horrible. I used Honda genuine VTM-4 fluid for the rear diff. It's stinky too, but not as bad as other diff fluids I've worked with, and kind of reminds me of the smell of the Navy ships I've been on.

I bought one of those Slippery Pete pumps from Amazon for this job, and it worked okay at first but broke all apart after I removed it from the jug when I was putting everything away, so it ended up getting diff fluid all over the cardboard sheets I was using to protect my floor. So easy cleanup, and I threw the pump away, but still managed to stink the place up all afternoon. I'll try the Harbor Freight pump next time, since it's still kind of a one-time-use kind of thing, and it's easier to throw out an oily pump than try to clean it and store it till the next rear diff change.

And I put the new spare with the valve side up. I've read all the threads about the pros and cons of the different methods when I was researching what year tires would fit on mine, but luckily found the same year and model in the junkyard so I know it's the exact same wheel. I can see the spare tire if I stand behind the Pilot now, so I know why most people might prefer the look of the tiny spare, but since I travel in remote areas with no cell coverage regularly, the security of knowing I've got a full size spare is worth it. I also carry appropriate tools in the back for emergencies. I'd like to find a better jack to keep in the Pilot though since I know the factory jack has its limitations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today, I installed the Kenwood Excelon DNX697S into my 2006 Pilot EX-L with RES. I could not get the RES to work because I did not have any wiring instructions for it (oh well). I did however get the dash cam, rear view camera to work, and the navigation systems to work. Will do some more searching to see if I can find any info for connecting the RES. The system sounds good, nav works good, all cams work good, hands free works great. Overall am happy with the 697S.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
You couldn't just use a larger self-tapping machine screw? If you get desperate the Gorilla two-sided tape will take care of your problems - of course, you're likely to peel off some paint when you take the plate off, but it would've been much easier than those mollies from hell...
On one side, it's just a big 1" hole in the sheet metal, with the insides long gone, so too big for self-tapping screws. I'll keep in mind your helpful suggestion of Gorilla two-sided tape when my fix inevitably fails.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
And I put the new spare with the valve side up. I've read all the threads about the pros and cons of the different methods when I was researching what year tires would fit on mine, but luckily found the same year and model in the junkyard so I know it's the exact same wheel. I can see the spare tire if I stand behind the Pilot now, so I know why most people might prefer the look of the tiny spare, but since I travel in remote areas with no cell coverage regularly, the security of knowing I've got a full size spare is worth it. I also carry appropriate tools in the back for emergencies. I'd like to find a better jack to keep in the Pilot though since I know the factory jack has its limitations.
Valve side down allows you to check the pressure more easily and thus more frequently.

With the valve side up you have to lower the spare to do that, but you should be lowering it at least once a year anyway to keep your hoist from rusting or seizing up. If you travel to remote areas, you want a properly inflated spare that you can actually lower when the need arises.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
44 Posts
Almost 38 years on this planet, and driving for 20 of those, have never done my own fluid changes on any of my vehicles (as I didn't really have the money to invest into tools that much, so what I had was limited literally to what fit inside of something the size of a "tackle box", so basic wrenches + sockets, no jack-stands/ramps, etc, and when I lived in Houston, could get my Oil & Transmission Fluid changed for $20 (I provided all the fluids & filter). So in about 20 minutes tops, would be back on the road). No such deals here, mention the word "transmission", and the price jumps up to $70+ to touch it, even if I provide all the fluids, they only give like a $5-10 discount. So as of yesterday evening, officially have done my first fluid changes on my own vehicle. Took longer than I expected (about 2 hours, not counting the quick trip to O'Reilly's to get a oil filter removal tool (clamp style, which I shouldn't need ever again, as I use K&N filters on all my vehicles). Feels like I completed a right of passage, so happy to scratch that off the bucket list / add to list of accomplishments. ⭐

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Nothing exciting here. Just dropped the spare tire, cleaned it real quick and topped it back off to 60psi
Were supposed to drop those things ? OMG ... i think mine is rusted in place :)

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just cleaned out my heater fan. It was making a loud ‘roar’ when it was on the highest speeds. Watched a quick video on how to do drop it out. Pretty easy except for the one bolt at the back that is tough to get out and then back in. I had visions of my fan motor having bad bearings or something like that which was causing the roar but it turned out to just be full of dry leaves. Cleaned it, reinstalled and now we’re back to factory fresh!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Actually got a flat today (and of course it was pouring rain) so, I'm glad I topped off the spare to 60psi and since it was clean, I didn't get dirty at all. I'm going to put a pair of disposable gloves in the jack storage area for the future.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
44 Posts
Actually got a flat today (and of course it was pouring rain) so, I'm glad I topped off the spare to 60psi and since it was clean, I didn't get dirty at all. I'm going to put a pair of disposable gloves in the jack storage area for the future.
Talk about timing 💪

Off the top of your head, if you were to pick 5 numbers between 1 and 47, what would they be? Then if you were to pick one additional number between 1 and 27 what would that be 😄

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally got the front heater fixed in my 2006 Pilot. So back in the early spring the heat stopped working in the front dash. I could still get heat in the back seat, but only blew cold air in the front. I tried the tricks I saw on the forum about cleaning the rust off the valve on the firewall and it didn't work. It was pretty chilly rainy spring and then it warmed up and I kind of just forgot about it because we were in the middle of military transfer. My hubby had purchased a new valve to replace the old one as was suggested. When we arrived at our new duty location he took it to autoskills on base and replaced the valve. Still didn't fix it. So finally decided to take it into the dealer. Yes it is only August, but we are now in the Boston area and once it starts getting cold I have to have heat this year. Dropped it off and waited for the dreaded call from the dealer telling us how much and all the labor involved in removing the dash to get at whatever was the problem. They called in about an hour and said they had it fixed. I was like, what??? They said they have never seen it before, but the climate temperature control has a motor, and that motor has electrical power. From all the driving over 14 1/2 years I have owned the car, the power cord came unplugged. They plugged it back in and the heat works fine now. Only charged us a diagnostic charge. I was expecting some major expense and am super happy with the low cost outcome. She still runs great with only 154,000 miles on here. Just need to get through the next 6 years, long enough for my twins to learn to drive on her the first 2 years before going off to college.

·
Registered
170 Posts
She still runs great with only 154,000 miles on here. Just need to get through the next 6 years, long enough for my twins to learn to drive on her the first 2 years before going off to college.
I grew up in NYS and went to graduate school at UCONN. Been to Boston a bunch and (obviously) very familiar with the NE. The road crews are generally quite good in Boston and most of Mass - but make sure you treat your Pilot to the weekly car wash. I've never seen a state throw down as much salt, they must mine it somewhere in the Berkshires or get it for cheap out of central NY...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Ordered a replacement tire from tirerack and surprisingly it will be delivered today.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
We can now imagine what your 'puter setup looks like. :p

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
44 Posts
We can now imagine what your 'puter setup looks like. :p

That's not even that bad... I've cleaned up worse :ROFLMAO:

Sadly, I didn't take a picture of what it looked like before I started working on the right-most rack, but just imagine twice as much spaghetti.

If you ever wonder how it get's so messy to begin with, I got two words for you "building move", so function > form. (You have 24 hours to get 150+ computers and phones connected, with a handful of other people helping.)

On the topic of this thread... treated the leather with Meguairs Gold Class. It's amazing what it and a horse-hair brush can do. Surprised me on how much dirt it takes off (first time after buying it "previously loved & enjoyed").

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
44 Posts
Switched out the oil drain plug today. Previous owner appears to have gotten someone else's (wrong sized) drain plug from when they went to a "quick lube" shop. Also went around and inflated all four tires to 38psi (sidewall max 44, and door says 32). Rears were 37/38 to start. Fronts were 36/34.5. So figured 38 was a good all round number. Sacrifice some comfort for fuel economy.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
If you ever wonder how it get's so messy to begin with, I got two words for you "building move", so function > form. (You have 24 hours to get 150+ computers and phones connected, with a handful of other people helping.)
Plus, the purchasing department found out that it was cheaper to buy a larger quantity of cables in a single length, rather than smaller quantities of several different lengths.
So, they bought a big batch of the longest length you needed and that was what you had to use.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts