Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1101 - 1120 of 1293 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's why it's sometimes easier on the stress hormones to pay a trusted mechanic to install the Aisin TKH002 kit you've ordered. If a "mishap" occurs, he gets to deal with it. This reasoning also applies when outdoors it's colder than a witch's toes or hot as @Cousin Itt's driveway. :D
I have not tken a car to a mechanic in years unless it is exhaust or tires, neither of which a lot of home mechanics can do.

But for other jobs, like timing belt, if a mishap does happen like a bolt breaking off in the block, wouldn't they just call and say, "Well, we are gonna have to charge more, this or that happened..."?

Refueled it. Took almost 10 gallons. Fuel economy is about two weeks per gallon. Still trying to reduce the concentration of 19-year-old fuel in the tank.
How many miles on the Pilot? Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
But for other jobs, like timing belt, if a mishap does happen like a bolt breaking off in the block, wouldn't they just call and say, "Well, we are gonna have to charge more, this or that happened..."?
That's why when I do take it to a shop, I spend the entire time in the work bay with the mechanic. I keep the banter to a pleasant minimum, unless he feels like doing some car-chatting, and I try to stay out of his way. I've watched and learned, sometimes had one of the best conversations either of us had all day, and occasionally caught a few "mishaps." Barring COVID restrictions, I never go to a place that doesn't let me into the work bay, which I can say I've almost never encountered.

Anyway, it sure beats sitting on a grubby chair in the waiting room staring at the plastic plant.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
739 Posts
Most of the shops- which is very few- I’ve been to state “for insurance purposes Public is Not Allowed “

·
Registered
86 Posts
MAYBE tonight I am going to swap out the wiper switch on the 03. I plan on taking some photos and doing a write-up.
Not a difficult task to change it but I wasn't able to find anything on how to do it except on a similar vehicle, maybe the CR-v or Odyssey?
At the junk yard, I had to give myself a crash course on doing it.

Original owner. Still under 100K miles.
One of those older gems. close to 20 years old and under 100K. I bet it still looks and runs like the day you drove it off the lot as a brand new truck.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Most of the shops- which is very few- I’ve been to state “for insurance purposes Public is Not Allowed “

Any of the exceedingly rare shops that actually enforce this hear my polite adieus and watch me walk away.

However, in all fairness one should be cognizant of this :):

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
One of those older gems. close to 20 years old and under 100K. I bet it still looks and runs like the day you drove it off the lot as a brand new truck.
It does seem to run smoother since the valve clearance was adjusted.
The dealership tech claimed that almost all of the valves, both intake and exhaust, needed adjustment - which he thought was unusual.
Since Honda only recommends a valve clearance inspection - and not until 105K miles - it makes me wonder how precisely the valve clearance was adjusted at the factory.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
1. New AC Clutch Relay- Autozone- Santech MT0610. 16$ + tax- got the last one. It fits but case is smaller than stock. Using it in Condenser Fan Slot & OEM C Fan into Clutch Relay Slot. Figure less amps on CF than Clutch?
2. VTM-4 fluid Exchange using new HF pump. My 1st go but been done every 30k or less. Had to hold hose in Fill hole with left hand, legs holding pump, right hand pumping. (You know you are good when you can swap hands and gain a stroke 😉)
AC blew cold whole time while driving to Honda Stealorship, Autozone, & Walmart ( didn’t need134-a bought Sunday but Ribs on sale 😁👍)
Tomorrow- 3rd VML D&F & Oil Change

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
574 Posts
So what exactly did it take? Is thst one of those broke bolt removal tools?

also, you really injured a finger in the process? Is it okay?
I posted photos on my 06 LX topic.

Yeah, I either broke or dislocated the middle knuckle on my left index finger. Was getting hot & sweaty and forgot to unplug the drill when I extended the StubbyBit a little to reach a bit deeper. Accidently hit the trigger and bent the finger about 45° at the middle knuckle over the middle finger with the chuck key. Once I could get a bite with the broken bolt extractor it unscrewed by hand, didn't even need to put a wrench on it.
Finger's pretty stiff, swelled, and sore, but that #$%& bolt is out. (y)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Finger's pretty stiff, swelled, and sore, but that #$%& bolt is out. (y)
I know you do not want to hear this crap but here it goes -

Well, If you can bend that finger then it might be okay. If you try and it doesn't even respond, time to head to the doctor.
I once dislocated a knuckle on left ring finger because it was raining and my hand slipped off the door jamb getting out of my car (not the Pilot so not a long fall). I felt a real sharp pain for a split second and after that it was just kind of achy and swollen.

I went to the hospital, They gave a couple shots to numb the finger and bent it back into place. And then a cast.
The worst part was hearing the doctor, some M.D, go "ugh" when she saw it. Uhh, some bearing please?

But yes, screw the Pilot for now, time to take care of Cousin Itt's possibly broken finger.

So here was my mishap -

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
574 Posts
I know you do not want to hear this crap but here it goes -

Well, If you can bend that finger then it might be okay. If you try and it doesn't even respond, time to head to the doctor.
I once dislocated a knuckle on left ring finger because it was raining and my hand slipped off the door jamb getting out of my car (not the Pilot so not a long fall). I felt a real sharp pain for a split second and after that it was just kind of achy and swollen.

I went to the hospital, They gave a couple shots to numb the finger and bent it back into place. And then a cast.
The worst part was hearing the doctor, some M.D, go "ugh" when she saw it. Uhh, some bearing please?

But yes, screw the Pilot for now, time to take care of Cousin Itt's possibly broken finger.

So here was my mishap -

View attachment 151106
That's about how my index finger looked before I pulled it back straight it was bent over the middle finger. I can sort of bend it. Not the first time I've broken a finger, did a thumb once. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
That's about how my index finger looked before I pulled it back straight it was bent over the middle finger. I can sort of bend it. Not the first time I've broken a finger, did a thumb once. :rolleyes:
Looks normal to me.... mine is always like that only not red.

yeahh... all jacked up Broke it years ago. Messes with my mechanic skillz 👎

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
126 Posts
I shut mine in the door of my Accord once because the door holder open doohicky dealy thing doesn't work and I was holding the door frame when I sat down and it shut. No where near what you guys did 🤷‍♂️.

Attachments

1101 - 1120 of 1293 Posts