Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1081 - 1100 of 1293 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
And in the very same line of thinking, if I do have to drop the motor, it would be easier to pull the heads then.
Also if the motor is toast I'll need a kit for it's replacement anyway.
So another six of one, a half dozen of the other, or which came first the chicken or the egg?
Assuming the bolt can be removed,
I'm not one to reuse a timing belt or tensioner. Especially if it were tested on a broken motor (that's me). I'd reinstall a water pump with a new gasket.
I'm not exactly fond of the idea of reinstalling heads. I'd be mad at myself if I removed and they were ok, especially since the head bolts are TTY. 🤦‍♂️ ugh. It's a tough call, but my gut tells me there is bent valves, especially with a broken idler pulley and bolt. That takes some serious force to cause.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,172 Posts
If you have a borescope with a side view camera could you stick it in each spark plug hole to check the valves? I think the camera head on the scope I bought is smaller than the spark plug hole diameter in the block, but I haven’t tried to confirm.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
574 Posts
Assuming the bolt can be removed,
I'm not one to reuse a timing belt or tensioner. Especially if it were tested on a broken motor (that's me). I'd reinstall a water pump with a new gasket.
I'm not exactly fond of the idea of reinstalling heads. I'd be mad at myself if I removed and they were ok, especially since the head bolts are TTY. 🤦‍♂️ ugh. It's a tough call, but my gut tells me there is bent valves, especially with a broken idler pulley and bolt. That takes some serious force to cause.
If I can get the bolt out I won't be trying to run the motor without doing the air pressure test to check the valves. According to Gunny the air test is listed in a Honda dealer service bulletin. He couldn't remember the bulletin number, but said you have to follow the rotation listed in the Service Manual for adjusting the valves to perform the air pressure test. If it does pass the air pressure test, I'll be replacing the whole TB kit again. If it doesn't pass the test then I'll pull the head/s.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
739 Posts
Decided to check new rim - (16x7 Vision Boost 469 Silver 38mm 5x100) for fit since it’s purpose is to replace the 16 yr old donut. Mind you- the ID wouldn’t allow the spare drop down plastic hanger T to go thru so it’s been riding in back of Pilot.
1. Goes on lugs and axle fine.
2. Came with it’s own lug nuts & was given a special lug wrench to use (Rim is too deep & too small ID holes so stock wrench & nuts do Not Fit)
3. Alternate wrench won’t fit new lug nuts

yep- Screwed if I get a flat as we suspected LOL.

Nothing like being in a hurry and not checking Everything before hauling a full size tire as a spare for 1000+ miles each way only to find out it’s worthless as a spare!!!! 😂. Lol

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
Being in too much of a hurry to check is on you, and we've all been there since you expect a pro to be... a pro. Therefore, it follows that I'd say bring it back to the dude and have a conversation. Maybe he was in a hurry too and will do right by you. Give him a face-saving out.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Being in too much of a hurry to check is on you, and we've all been there since you expect a pro to be... a pro. Therefore, it follows that I'd say bring it back to the dude and have a conversation. Maybe he was in a hurry too and will do right by you. Give him a face-saving out.
Absolutely on me! It’s not the Dude’s fault really. I spoke to the online help rep and he said all would fit. By that, it does fit, just not Plug and Play. It is not something you can buy for my 2005 Pilot and expect to use without trying all the Parts First. He will make good on it with out hassle. As we say in construction “ You get what you Inspect not what you Expect!”

·
Registered
86 Posts
Replaced the rear brake pads and also the driver side sway bar linkage. It had completely pulled out of the socket.

I also have, but not installed yet, a "previously abused" wiper switch. Found at a junkyard.

But yeah, the linkage ought to keep that old fart happy for a while.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
141 Posts
Replaced the v-tec housing gasket(?)- the oddly shaped one with the screen thats in between the oil filter housing and the engine- and the solenoid o-ring (which is really 2 o-rings in 1) today. Hopeful this will solve the oil leak I had. Was losing about a qt every 5,000 miles which is guess isn’t awful but more than I’m comfortable with.

It seemed to have started leaking more when I switched to full synthetic high mileage oil. It didn’t seem to lose as much when I used the synthetic blend. Maybe cause synthetic is thinner?

Either way, both gaskets I replaced were flat and brittle. Hopefully this does it! 🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Monitored the “mild” transmission?shudder at different rpm’s, speeds, & engine loading while making my journey back to Florida from Louisiana.
Stay tuned 😉

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
141 Posts
Monitored the “mild” transmission?shudder at different rpm’s, speeds, & engine loading while making my journey back to Florida from Louisiana.
Stay tuned 😉
Could it be cv axle? Driveshaft? As I’ve found out, there’s so many components that can cause a shimmy in these Pilots….

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Could it be cv axle? Driveshaft? As I’ve found out, there’s so many components that can cause a shimmy in these Pilots….
It certainly could be! Thanks for your reply 😁👍👍. I plan on doing more analysis tomorrow- 13 hrs of driving whooped my butt today! Lol

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
141 Posts
It certainly could be! Thanks for your reply 😁👍👍. I plan on doing more analysis tomorrow- 13 hrs of driving whooped my butt today! Lol
I had one show up after the lift- I lowered the carrier bearing by about 3/8” with some stainless steel bushings and it’s almost all gone now. I suspect the remaining is a cv axle.

Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
10,229 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I can get the bolt out I won't be trying to run the motor without doing the air pressure test to check the valves... If it does pass the air pressure test, I'll be replacing the whole TB kit again. If it doesn't pass the test then I'll pull the head/s.
I was curious how that whole project is coming along. Especially removing the bolt.

Plus honestly, as I will need to replace the timing belt on the 03 soon, I am a tad concerned if the tensioner bolt on mine is going to just break when I try to remove it.

I am pretty sure the belt has been changed at some point in it's 206,000 miles but of course no idea when.

Ya know, whenever i read about some repair mishap that is not the fault of the mechanic, I often think, "Is that going to happen when I try it on mine?"

I mean I understand with yours, it happened on it's own, but it is like, "Just how fragile IS that bolt?"

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
574 Posts
I was curious how that whole project is coming along. Especially removing the bolt.

Plus honestly, as I will need to replace the timing belt on the 03 soon, I am a tad concerned if the tensioner bolt on mine is going to just break when I try to remove it.

I am pretty sure the belt has been changed at some point in it's 206,000 miles but of course no idea when.

Ya know, whenever i read about some repair mishap that is not the fault of the mechanic, I often think, "Is that going to happen when I try it on mine?"

I mean I understand with yours, it happened on it's own, but it is like, "Just how fragile IS that bolt?"
It's been too hot/humid to mess with it. Where it's parked is right in the sun. I need to get a couple of tools, but it's 5 1/2 miles to the store I need to get to. Nothing but construction the whole way, so walking there isn't happening.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts

That's why it's sometimes easier on the stress hormones to pay a trusted mechanic to install the Aisin TKH002 kit you've ordered. If a "mishap" occurs, he gets to deal with it. This reasoning also applies when outdoors it's colder than a witch's toes or hot as @Cousin Itt's driveway. :D

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Due to enjoying the recently “Fixed” AC- Today I made it Priority #1 to find out why it was Intermittent then finally QUIT during my last 3-hrs home yesterday. It could have been Much Worse and stop blowing the artic air the whole trip. 😉
A. Pulled passenger wheel, plastic wheel well liner, & Front plastic liner (glad all clips were new)
B. Check for Leaks -Dye & Sniffler - None Found
Clutch was not engaging-
1. 12v to Fied Coil -Yep
2. Field Coil Ohm good-Yep
3. Swap Relay-WORKED- AC ARTIC AIR AGAIN 😁👍👍
4. Swap Relay back to original - Still Worked- hmmmmmm wtf?
5. Swap Relay - AC Still works-
6. Both High & Low Pressures chart Good which reconfirmed no leaks
C. Locate spare relay.

Presently I have swapped the Condenser Fan Relay for the Clutch Relay.
Should I just drive around for a couple of weeks before purchasing a new one to see if I need a new one? Autozone appears to have a non OEM one in stock for $15
What would You do ?
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
D. Shell out the 15 bucks for a spare relay.
E. Sweat no more.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Refueled it. Took almost 10 gallons.
Fuel economy is about two weeks per gallon.
Still trying to reduce the concentration of 19-year-old fuel in the tank.

1081 - 1100 of 1293 Posts