Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1001 - 1020 of 1109 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Finally found time to replace the original rear shocks with the KYB's that had been sitting around for weeks. Top bolt both sides was pretty rusted and took a while having to loosen, back out, loosen,. back out add more PB blaster. I ended up breaking the welds on the nut on the first side as I got impatient... Just fyi if anyone gets into that situation a 20mm box end fits that nut perfect. :) I feel the difference, very nice and easy upgrade $100cnd with shipping.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,692 Posts

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Finally found time to replace the original rear shocks with the KYB's that had been sitting around for weeks. Top bolt both sides was pretty rusted and took a while having to loosen, back out, loosen,. back out add more PB blaster. I ended up breaking the welds on the nut on the first side as I got impatient... Just fyi if anyone gets into that situation a 20mm box end fits that nut perfect. :) I feel the difference, very nice and easy upgrade $100cnd with shipping. View attachment 150702 View attachment 150703 View attachment 150704

KYB shocks are what I put on too a few years back. Still performing well.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
98 Posts
I have a set of KYBs for all 4 corners sitting in the garage right now, but I'm too busy fixing my wife's Elantra and my old Infiniti Q45 that I'm gifting to my stepson.

The Elantra's trunk won't open, either with the fob or the latch inside the car. The seats are going to have to come out on one side for me to get into the trunk and open it, and I'm not looking forward to this. I looked at her manual and I think I can get the seats unbolted without toooooooo much hassle. We'll see. Also, her CEL finally came on, first time in 227,000 miles: Cylinder 2 misfire and the cam position sensor. I just put new coil packs on all four and that didn't do it, so I'm going to toss in a new injector too and see if that clears it up.

The Q though...sigh. New AC comp/condenser kit, new O-ring set, I have to rebuild the power steering pump to hopefully avoid buying a new one, and maybe replace some hoses for the PS system. I need to figure out the tapping coming from the valve area, hoping it's just an adjustment. Doesn't sound bad, but I don't want to screw around with it. That car only has 177,000 miles and looks/drives very well still. Parts are SCARCE for it. Can't even find front struts in the USA, at any price.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
603 Posts
I have a set of KYBs for all 4 corners sitting in the garage right now, but I'm too busy fixing my wife's Elantra and my old Infiniti Q45 that I'm gifting to my stepson.

The Elantra's trunk won't open, either with the fob or the latch inside the car. The seats are going to have to come out on one side for me to get into the trunk and open it, and I'm not looking forward to this. I looked at her manual and I think I can get the seats unbolted without toooooooo much hassle. We'll see. Also, her CEL finally came on, first time in 227,000 miles: Cylinder 2 misfire and the cam position sensor. I just put new coil packs on all four and that didn't do it, so I'm going to toss in a new injector too and see if that clears it up.

The Q though...sigh. New AC comp/condenser kit, new O-ring set, I have to rebuild the power steering pump to hopefully avoid buying a new one, and maybe replace some hoses for the PS system. I need to figure out the tapping coming from the valve area, hoping it's just an adjustment. Doesn't sound bad, but I don't want to screw around with it. That car only has 177,000 miles and looks/drives very well still. Parts are SCARCE for it. Can't even find front struts in the USA, at any price.
Maaaannnn..... you got your work cut out for ya!!! Let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
603 Posts
We made it to Saint Louis-462 miles- with no issues - 22ish mpg. Comfortable trip!
How fast were you running? I managed 20.26 @ 366 miles avg 77mph & 20.61 @ 290 miles avg 72 mph only 1- Full-size Spare & 1- carry on luggage

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
103 Posts
How fast were you running? I managed 20.26 @ 366 miles avg 77mph & 20.61 @ 290 miles avg 72 mph only 1- Full-size Spare & 1- carry on luggage
I was averaging around 77-80 depending on my mood at the time. I had it loaded with a family of four and luggage to include lots of stuff For my kiddos (wife and I pack light) - compact spare that is half flat. Interstate driving. On the way back, which included some city driving, I averaged around what you were getting.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
603 Posts
Just wondering if my mpg’s are lower than normal for a maintained 1st Gen? I went up around 4 mpg after valve adjustment and plugs. This is 1st long trip I have taken and was thinking I would get s little more?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Made it home just before midnight last night. So Sherman had very few mishaps this long trip but they all occurred on the way home. First, the windshield trim flopped off and was flapping in the wind. Easy fix-stopped and got some gorilla tape til I can silicon it at home. Then, two hours from home I was airing some... Ahem... Stinky fumes out from myself and the window got stuck a few inches down. It would slightly go up and down but not all the way. So, using the aforementioned tape, we gorilla taped a McDonald's happy meal box in the crack and made it most of the way before having to add tape. But it made it. Here's a photo of the broken regulator that I replaced this morning. Took about 2 hours. I put it back together once and realized I forgot to put the speaker in 🤦‍♂️.

Anyone have a product they recommended to glue in the windshield trim?

Also, following the reprogram instructions for the regulator, I still can't get the auto up/down to work. Any tricks to it or just keep trying? I got an aftermarket Dorman but most people I've read didn't have issues with it.

Total trip just over 900 miles. No engine/transmission issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh, also my TPMS light came on for a few miles (first time since winter) and then turned off at the same time as the eco light when I hit a hill. I found that oddly coincidental. But I don't think the systems are connected in any way. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3,161 Posts

The McD window shades look dope 😝. Just use a small amount of clear silicone and painters tape to hold the trim down until it’s set. My 1500+ road trip was nearly trouble-free. Had a loose muffler to pipe connection rattle but a bigger issue was loose lug nuts on the front wheels. Torqued to 80 ft-lbs before the trip but the bumpy roads through NY probably didn’t help. My suspicion is past over-tightening by the tire shops may have stretched the studs a bit. On the road repair solution was increasing to 85-90 ft-lb. Replacing the lug studs will be another weekend project.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The McD window shades look dope 😝. Just use a small amount of clear silicone and painters tape to hold the trim down until it’s set. My 1500+ road trip was nearly trouble-free. Had a loose muffler to pipe connection rattle but a bigger issue was loose lug nuts on the front wheels. Torqued to 80 ft-lbs before the trip but the bumpy roads through NY probably didn’t help. My suspicion is past over-tightening by the tire shops may have stretched the studs a bit. On the road repair solution was increasing to 85-90 ft-lb. Replacing the lug studs will be another weekend project.
Thanks for the tip! Glad yours was relatively trouble free as well. Nothing worse than losing a wheel-glad that didn't happen! I happened upon a guy on the way home from work a few weeks back missing a wheel and asked what happened. He told me I wouldn't believe him if he told me 😂

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
117 Posts
Another 1,800 miles in the books! West Texas is the Best Texas FYI. Found a dirt/gravel/baby head boulder road from Marfa to Mexico. Traversing Chinati Peak (7,800’) and Pinto Canyon. Wild horses, shallow graves, water crossings and canyon drop offs were the highlight! Here’s some pics! Ps- glad I had the A/T tires and the lift. 🙃

ps- my CEL stayed off for the entire trip. It turned on on the way into work the morning after returning home. 🥴

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
603 Posts
Another 1,800 miles in the books! West Texas is the Best Texas FYI. Found a dirt/gravel/baby head boulder road from Marfa to Mexico. Traversing Chinati Peak (7,800’) and Pinto Canyon. Wild horses, shallow graves, water crossings and canyon drop offs were the highlight! Here’s some pics! Ps- glad I had the A/T tires and the lift. 🙃 View attachment 150776
View attachment 150777
View attachment 150778
View attachment 150779 View attachment 150780 View attachment 150781 View attachment 150782 View attachment 150783

ps- my CEL stayed off for the entire trip. It turned on on the way into work the morning after returning home. 🥴
Beautiful!!!!

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
603 Posts
Made it home just before midnight last night. So Sherman had very few mishaps this long trip but they all occurred on the way home. First, the windshield trim flopped off and was flapping in the wind. Easy fix-stopped and got some gorilla tape til I can silicon it at home. Then, two hours from home I was airing some... Ahem... Stinky fumes out from myself and the window got stuck a few inches down. It would slightly go up and down but not all the way. So, using the aforementioned tape, we gorilla taped a McDonald's happy meal box in the crack and made it most of the way before having to add tape. But it made it. Here's a photo of the broken regulator that I replaced this morning. Took about 2 hours. I put it back together once and realized I forgot to put the speaker in 🤦‍♂️.

Also, following the reprogram instructions for the regulator, I still can't get the auto up/down to work. Any tricks to it or just keep trying? I got an aftermarket Dorman but most people I've read didn't have issues with it.

Could it have been the “Happy Meal” that wrenched your guts??😉

1001 - 1020 of 1109 Posts