Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
2121 - 2140 of 2149 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 235,500 Miles
1,313 Posts
Cruise control stopped working for some reason while heading to Lowes. Will be disconnecting battery for reset and searching forum

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Yeaaahhhh…. This morning after off loading a car hauler trailer 1/2 full of soil for the yard, I pushed the brake petal really hard on and off while aligning to hitch (Wife guiding me). I now notice new purple broken plastic below the brake petal that was used to engage the switch 🤣. Replace the plastic! Glad it was this simple 👍👍

·
Registered
105 Posts
Blackout the grille & emblem
(no i don't want it glossy/shiny) matte black FTW
( tomorrow patch up the grille, then maybe blacken the rear H , Pilot & 4WD emblem ;) )

View attachment 137725
I would black out the H but eliminate the other badges. Badgeless (except H) would look better than blacked out. I got black background headlights and taillights and they look great

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Received and stowed this hoagie sized item, when wrapped up in its carry bag, in between my headrests in the rear floor cubby, for the next time I head out into the wilderness. Cheaper and easier to store than brother's $30,000 teardrop trailer. :)

I spotted this poor man's camper trailer available online, but I already have my even cheaper bastard version above. It'll do fine.

142.5US $ 16% OFF|Pop Up Car Rear Tent Rooftop Trunk Tent Universal Suv Family Tent Multi-function Awning Self-driving Travel Portable Camping - Windshield Sunshades - AliExpress

Tire Wheel Photograph Car Plant

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,133 ·
So, I took my Pilot to the shop that did the struts, say bar links, and lower control arms due to a fairly faint noise after that sounded like suspension. They check it and say everything is ok. I pick up my Pilot and when I get home, smell a faint gas smell. The very next day there is no fuel smell when I went out to the car. I drop and wait for the girl friend to go to the ATM and CVS. At CVS, as I waited outside with the car running and when we left (put it in drive and started moving) immediately smelled a strong gas smell.

I stop and look under the Pilot with the engine still running and there is a lot of fuel pouring out from just behind the right front tire and forward of the drivers seat area. What a coincidence that this happens the day after having it at a shop?

This sucks, and I searched for gas leak problems here on the forum and didn't find anything like my problem, pretty much all gas tank related and fuel pump (which is not in the front of the car) but, nothing like I am experiencing which, makes it more suspicious.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Take it back to the shop. Whether they play dumb or not, it doesn't take Columbo to figure out they almost certainly damaged it and were hoping you wouldn't notice.

Forehead Dress shirt Tie Collar Suit

That said, allow for the face-saving possibility that they didn't notice their oopsie, but they ought to still be on the hook for it. Remain polite, and maybe try to locate the source of the leak yourself and if it looks like a recent incident.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,880 Posts
This is a bummer. I’d get underneath the Pilot and try to identify the source of the fuel leak. If you can find evidence that something was damaged by them, then bring it back to them for an in-person discussion. I’m giving the shop the benefit of the doubt since it sounds that they were honest with you regarding the suspension.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,136 ·
This is a bummer. I’d get underneath the Pilot and try to identify the source of the fuel leak. If you can find evidence that something was damaged by them, then bring it back to them for an in-person discussion. I’m giving the shop the benefit of the doubt since it sounds that they were honest with you regarding the suspension.
I did take a quick look but with it being 90F, very humid, and having leftover gas dripping on me if I crawled underneath, I decided to pass. I took a good look under the hood near the firewall area with the car running but, didn't see anything.

I'm hoping, it's just a fuel line connection that has rusted out and would be a fairly easy fix.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,137 ·
Take it back to the shop. Whether they play dumb or not, it doesn't take Columbo to figure out they almost certainly damaged it and were hoping you wouldn't notice.

View attachment 161373

That said, allow for the face-saving possibility that they didn't notice their oopsie, but they ought to still be on the hook for it. Remain polite, and maybe try to locate the source of the leak yourself and if it looks like a recent incident.
All they did was check the front suspension parts and re-torqued all bolts, checked engine mounts, exhaust hangers and another possible issues. Perhaps a fuel line was bumped by something or disgruntled employee? IDK but, I've had a lot done there with no problems. New engine mount, timing belt, suspension work, and front brakes and rotors (yeah, I could have done the brakes myself but, after pricing parts it wasn't that much more to have them do it and I could avoid the lower back pain and disposal of the old parts).

I'm going to be firm but, as polite as possible. I'm just going to tell them exactly what happened and what an odd coiencidence this happens the day after I get it back. I could understand if it happened 3-4 weeks after and being driven many times then I wouldn't put it on them.

The only thing I have to stand on is they had it the day before and all of a sudden then next day..... I'm hoping it is possibly just a rusted out fuel line connection or dry rot that gave out on a section of non-metal fuel line but, what a coincidence just the day after. Perhaps, a mechanic swapped out one of my parts because it's a low milage Pilot and replaced the one they took from me with a part with much higher milage to save a few bucks vs. paying for a new OEM part that they might have needed. Who knows. Also, the gf worked at a Ford dealership in the finance dept. for about 2yrs and witnessed all their dirty little tricks to rip people off and because she told me that they will do something to the Pilot, it's all my fault for taking it in to be checked.

Also, when I was in line to get the pilot at the shop, there was a service rep on the phone telling a customer that they need new piston rings (I didn't catch what vehicle or milage) and talked them out of just getting an overhauled replacement engine. I was like yeah, you go and screw the customer to get as many billable labor hours as you possibly can.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
889 Posts
Finally got around to resetting/recalibrating both the VSA, & SRS systems. Only been driving with the lights lit for about a year. Was getting VSA codes 61-1 (Battery Voltage Failure) and 84-1 (Sensor Logic Failure), along with SRS codes 81-71 (ODS Unit Does Not Calibrate), and 85-61 (No Signal From ODS Unit). Required recalibrating the VSA Sensor Neutral Position Memorization procedure to clear the VSA light, and recalibrating the SWS (Seat Weight Sensor), and reinitialization of the ODS Unit, and recalibrating the OPDS sensors.
Did it with the HDS/HIM. (y)
Computer Personal computer Output device Computer monitor Gadget

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
All they did was check the front suspension parts and re-torqued all bolts, checked engine mounts, exhaust hangers and another possible issues. Perhaps a fuel line was bumped by something or disgruntled employee? IDK but, I've had a lot done there with no problems. New engine mount, timing belt, suspension work, and front brakes and rotors (yeah, I could have done the brakes myself but, after pricing parts it wasn't that much more to have them do it and I could avoid the lower back pain and disposal of the old parts).

I'm going to be firm but, as polite as possible. I'm just going to tell them exactly what happened and what an odd coiencidence this happens the day after I get it back. I could understand if it happened 3-4 weeks after and being driven many times then I wouldn't put it on them.

The only thing I have to stand on is they had it the day before and all of a sudden then next day..... I'm hoping it is possibly just a rusted out fuel line connection or dry rot that gave out on a section of non-metal fuel line but, what a coincidence just the day after. Perhaps, a mechanic swapped out one of my parts because it's a low milage Pilot and replaced the one they took from me with a part with much higher milage to save a few bucks vs. paying for a new OEM part that they might have needed. Who knows. Also, the gf worked at a Ford dealership in the finance dept. for about 2yrs and witnessed all their dirty little tricks to rip people off and because she told me that they will do something to the Pilot, it's all my fault for taking it in to be checked.

Also, when I was in line to get the pilot at the shop, there was a service rep on the phone telling a customer that they need new piston rings (I didn't catch what vehicle or milage) and talked them out of just getting an overhauled replacement engine. I was like yeah, you go and screw the customer to get as many billable labor hours as you possibly can.
Well… I have a similar story regarding a stealorship oil change for $29.99 with inspection. Being the cheap bastard I am, I couldn’t pass up the deal! The change took about 1.5 hrs and I wrote it off to them being “busy or something “
Next oil change I did myself and found This:
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Water Motor vehicle

I Always use a calibrated torque wrench for bolts that give me a torque setting so this one isn’t on me.

2121 - 2140 of 2149 Posts