Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1981 - 2000 of 2048 Posts

·
Registered
2004 EX
611 Posts
Our fill up clocked in just under 85 bucks
My truck was $215 last time. The attendant asked "Did that just click off at $100 twice?" Yeah, it wasn't pretty.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 235,500 Miles
1,241 Posts
Brake fluid change coming up so got a set of these overkill jack stands today for 20% off. My 3- ton stands are from last century and not extremely used but felt safer with adding these to the “essential” tool list:

View attachment 160279
UPDATE: Due to 1/4” side slope of shop floor, my 3-Ton jack’s maximum height and height of these new stands when set I am unable to use the stand effectively. My left tire is resting on floor.
Other than buying a new Jack with greater height capacity- Anyone have alternate ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,825 Posts
UPDATE: Due to 1/4” side slope of shop floor, my 3-Ton jack’s maximum height and height of these new stands when set I am unable to use the stand effectively. My left tire is resting on floor.
Other than buying a new Jack with greater height capacity- Anyone have alternate ideas?
Thanks
Steal one of those 1 inch thick steel plates that they use during road construction, then chop it into five pieces. Place pieces under jack and jackstands. That will get that tire 3/4” off the ground.😁

I think I’ve also seen pucks that you can put on the jack. Those have to be more that 1/2” high. I’ve never used one though so I’m not sure how stable they are. That solves the jack problem. Some folks have put pieces of 2x12 boards under the jack stands, but I’d be a bit leery of the chance the board could split with all that weight on it.

• Haha
Reactions: aggrex and ConrodM

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Steal one of those 1 inch thick steel plates that they use during road construction, then chop it into five pieces. Place pieces under jack and jackstands. That will get that tire 3/4” off the ground.😁
Yeah…..with my brute strength, I’ll just snatch it right up and toss on the pilot’ roof rack 🤭 LOL! Thinking if I had a nice 2” thick steel disc that would fit in jack cup I’d be set.

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
I’ve used these floor jack pads with no issues. And for the jack stands I’ve used sections of 2x10 lumber under the jack stand. Some jack stands have flat feet
Automotive tire Tire Font Material property Audio equipment

·
Registered
2006 EX-L w/RES in manly Taffeta White & no fender flares
330 Posts
Dad & I have some ancient pieces of pretty thick hardwood around for exactly this purpose. I think it might be oak. I don't know this but it might have sat under saltwater for awhile (possibly pier wood from the Gulf coast). It's definitely dense & strong stuff.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
121 Posts
Finally got the auto dim mirror wired up. Definitely recommend one of these from eBay if someone is looking for one. Simple three wire setup and is working well. Dirt cheap and works well. Also add the wire cover for Gentex mirrors. Just barely long enough to reach the headliner but works well.

View attachment 160282
I like the Valentine One setup.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
The new 6 ton jack stands have plenty of height it’s The Jack itself that isn’t getting high enough to allow a 2nd knotch on the jack stand - I’m wondering if those using 2x’s are referring to running the jack on top of them then jacking up pilot to get 2nd knotch on jack stands?

·
Registered
2004 EX
611 Posts
Yes, put the jack on top of the 2x10's, should give you another inch and a half. If need be, you can put a small piece of 2x6 on the jack head to act like a puck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes, put the jack on top of the 2x10's, should give you another inch and a half. If need be, you can put a small piece of 2x6 on the jack head to act like a puck.
Do be careful putting wood on top if you’re putting the stand at the lift point/pinch weld. It’s a high stress concentration and a possibility of splitting some wood.

I personally never use wood on top of stands, only under. I’ve split pieces using them on a floor jack and small contact points.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
My conclusion- Get pucks designed for jack or return stands for extra set of 3 tons as a secondary safety precaution. I really like the fact that the 6- tons are so tall and wouldn’t have to raise much. Also have a wider frame &base & appear alot more more sturdy. Leaning towards the pucks and hope to find some made from metal and 2-3 inches tall. 🤞

·
Registered
2004 EX
611 Posts
Guess I should have specified don't put the block of wood on top if going on a pinch weld, that's asking for trouble.

Reactions: ConrodM and aggrex

·
Registered
12,482 Posts
Went in for a complete brake job: disks, calipers, the whole shebang for my ebike, loaded on the hitch bike rack behind my Pilot.

I simply cannot abide by crappy brakes. 😡

Said it would be ready before the weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
10-4. I was thinking since they are thin pads and I’m only using from jack to front center lifting point it might be ok? Thanks again 😁👍👍

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
121 Posts
After getting a whole bunch of suspension work done, I noticed a lower frequency humming that becomes prevalent at around 40 mph. It only becomes masked by typical HT tire noise above 70-75 mph. The car also develops a noticable shake at 70 or so that continues to 80 mph. I recently had the tires balanced. I think that the noise is attributable to wheel bearings, but I don't know which ones.

1981 - 2000 of 2048 Posts