Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Boxy or rounded design?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that many people are divided on whether they like the old boxy design of the Pilot, or the new rounded design. If someone liked the old boxy style, they hate the new style, and vice versa. Not saying everyone does this, but many people do. Let me start first. What comes to mind is the 2nd generation Pilot because I personally think the "Pilot" name fits that generation the best. BTW, I am an owner of a third gen and I think it looks sharp, but so do the past two generations. If you want to add anything, please post below! I want to know what you guys think.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
The offensive hubris of lumping the 1st and 2nd gens together!

I like them both, in that respective and distinct order, so as the poll stands now I had to vote something else.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Junk... Minivan

Reactions: mcgill373

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
1st and 2nd gen since we've had both... I do struggle with the styling of the 3rd gen at times but they are really popular around here so my vision is flooded with them.

Junk... Minivan
So why own three of them?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
1st and 2nd gen since we've had both... I do struggle with the styling of the 3rd gen at times but they are really popular around here so my vision is flooded with them.

So why own three of them?
Family Inheritance no body else wanted them so free is free :) Yes I know I'm a GM guy and I cringe when I drive the 2015 BUT when I was driving in NYC it was awesome handling the traffic I must admit. The newer model IS a van .. Honda figured out how to make cut backs .. :p

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Family Inheritance no body else wanted them so free is free :) Yes I know I'm a GM guy and I cringe when I drive the 2015 BUT when I was driving in NYC it was awesome handling the traffic I must admit. The newer model IS a van .. Honda figured out how to make cut backs .. :p
We've had GM trucks and SUVs (Yukon XLs, Silverados, Sierras, YXL Denali, '14 Traverse) dating back to 2009. The '15 Silverado came closer to the Pilot in terms of interior build quality but still fell short. The '20 is even closer but the details like how crisp and tight the switchgear are in the '15 Pilot really makes it feel like a higher quality vehicle. Sure, the door panel and dash has softer plastic on the new Sierra and the YXLD, that doesn't bother me as much as the horrible wiggly and imprecise switchgear.

Honestly, the GMT900 series vehicles had interiors that looked nice enough, but are made of complete crap. The K2XX improved on it but still fell short. The T1XX is by far GMs best effort and quite a nice vehicle to sit in and drive when not driven back-to-back with the Pilot.

I know you hate the hard plastics, I find them to be durable and they are finished in a way that looks nice. Nothing I rest my arm on is uncomfortable so I think the 2nd gen interior is just fine. Sure, the Traverse is 1 year older and has an interior that looks WORLDS better and more modern, but it's got a blend of GMT900 and K2XX switchgear that really is unpleasant to use.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
We've had GM trucks and SUVs (Yukon XLs, Silverados, Sierras, YXL Denali, '14 Traverse) dating back to 2009. The '15 Silverado came closer to the Pilot in terms of interior build quality but still fell short. The '20 is even closer but the details like how crisp and tight the switchgear are in the '15 Pilot really makes it feel like a higher quality vehicle. Sure, the door panel and dash has softer plastic on the new Sierra and the YXLD, that doesn't bother me as much as the horrible wiggly and imprecise switchgear.

Honestly, the GMT900 series vehicles had interiors that looked nice enough, but are made of complete crap. The K2XX improved on it but still fell short. The T1XX is by far GMs best effort and quite a nice vehicle to sit in and drive when not driven back-to-back with the Pilot.

I know you hate the hard plastics, I find them to be durable and they are finished in a way that looks nice. Nothing I rest my arm on is uncomfortable so I think the 2nd gen interior is just fine. Sure, the Traverse is 1 year older and has an interior that looks WORLDS better and more modern, but it's got a blend of GMT900 and K2XX switchgear that really is unpleasant to use.
I wont go any further than GMT800 series .. soo many issues I have heard also beyond that series :)

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I wont go any further than GMT800 series .. soo many issues I have heard also beyond that series :)
So you are getting into 15+ years old... And I don't remember the GMT800 series being lauded as some bastion of reliability on the SilveradoSierra forum... I looked at some GMT800 'Burbs when we got the Traverse but they were rusty, crusty and falling apart.

Hand controls? For brakes? Throttle? Both? Jet Booster?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Pilot to Navigator...

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
So you are getting into 15+ years old... And I don't remember the GMT800 series being lauded as some bastion of reliability on the SilveradoSierra forum... I looked at some GMT800 'Burbs when we got the Traverse but they were rusty, crusty and falling apart.

Hand controls? For brakes? Throttle? Both? Jet Booster?
That's true BUT they were metal ..something to weld too.... my 2011 has no rust neither does my 2004 mileage.. well that's a different story :)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts