Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2006 is ready for a new alternator and would like to know you guys experience with these 3 brand

Bosch premium reman
Denso reman
Duralast gold *new

·
Registered
337 Posts
Denso, from RockAuto for me.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
When my alternator shuffled off this mortal coil (pun intended) a couple of years ago, it got replaced by whatever my mechanic got me, probably a reman.

Unless it's brand spanking new, it's also usually a good time to get a new battery, too, especially if you're in a northern climate now that winter's at our doorstep. Mine was about 5 years old.

·
Registered
501 Posts
OEM junk yard
Interesting. I've successfully used OEM junkyard alternators ($35, and a 30 day warranty), and rebuilt alternators ($125 from Autozone, lifetime warranty). Junkyard parts are a crapshoot, but apparently the mass market rebuilds can sometimes fail. Alternators are always spinning, and always wearing out the moving parts. A good rebuild that has new bearings, slip rings, and brushes is going to last longer than a junkyard part. A super cheap "rebuild" that has old bearings and slip rings and a little fresh paint is not going to do any better than a junkyard one.

Sometimes people replace the alternator without considering the condition of the battery. If the battery is old, with a poor state of charge, then you are immediately overloading the new alternator. This situation can lead to a burned out diode right away. Then the owner has to bring the alternator back on warranty and do the install all over again, while he curses the quality of the rebuilt unit. I think some of the bad reputation of rebuilt alternators is due to inept installation and continued use of a battery in poor condition.

Whatever you choose for a replacement alternator, be sure to fully charge the battery while you are doing the repair. If the battery is 4 years old or so, have it load tested as well. No point in doing all the work of alternator replacement just to burn it up right away.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had good luck with a reman Denso. I do not believe they are reman, rather factory seconds or brand new. I got it from Denso on Amazon. It already served for more miles than the original by a factor of about 20%.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 2006 is ready for a new alternator and would like to know you guys experience with these 3 brand

Bosch premium reman
Denso reman
Duralast gold *new
We have a 2006 Honda pilot 186,000.and 2006 Honda Odyssey 213,000.have had DENSO alternator and starters put on Both.and out previous 3 Honda's as well when oem mitsu went out.have had 0 issues with any Denso alternator or starters.i used to buy them off eBay now I buy from RockAuto.dont bother with sending core back it's more trouble than the $20 is worth.just be sure you get the correct one.there are 2 types. 1 for i-vtec and 1 for v-tech.pilot and Odyssey both come in 2 different motor configurations.only difference visually I can see is the pulley is black on one and gold on the other

·
Registered
3 Posts

Bosch premium reman
Denso reman
Duralast gold *new
Also go with a replacement Northstar battery when replacing starter.then you will not have to worry about either of those for close to a decade.im on my 9th year of my AGM Battery.i was a master certified Outboard boar mrvjanic for 20 years and you learn how important the best battery is.mych different when battery dies 10 miles from the boat landing.noyhsyar also makes the AGM batteries for batteties/bulbs+ if you have one of those stores near you.if not they will ship to you for free.they are worth every penny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts