Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your pet peeves?

I have two, the first is that there are too many nooks and crannies on the floor, which make a thorough vacuuming of the Pilot difficult.

Also, as commander of the Pilot, I feel I should have ultimate control over the operation of the windows. But, my young passengers in the back are able to raise and lower the window at their discretion, and the driver's controls do not override their controls. As a result, I believe they are taunting me with their new found power, and I am suffering a loss of dignity. If you switch to the lock position, no one is able to operate the windows. I wish the driver had command of the windows when in lock position.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Peeve #1: Honda floor mats don't cover dead pedal area, which is a dirt magnet.

Peeve #2: Glass window on rear hatch doesn't open/close
separately.

Peeve #3: No remote rear hatch release.

Peeve #4: With the rocker switches for interior/fog lights and the cruise control on the driver's side lower dash panel to left of steering wheel, I keep finding ways to inadvertantly strike them and change their settings as I get in/out.

Peeve#5: Annoying to turn on the brights by pushing out the stalk rather than clicking inward, which seems more usual/natural to me.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
1. No inside back door release.
Didn't realize how much I miss this until recently. :rolleyes:

2. Auto-up feature not on the front passenger window.
I always expect this to "auto-up" same as driver's side. :bonk:

Can't think of anything else right now. These aren't really "peeve's", just "wish I had's". ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Pet peeves:
#1. Geared too high. If running without the cruise on the highway, hit a hill and speed starts to drop. Step on the gas slightly, nothing. Step a little more and then it downshifts. Now you have more power than you need and it shoots you up to the speed you want, so you let up on it slightly and it upshifts and the process starts over. So on slight hills I find it easier to drop out of OD (just a little annoying to have to manually shift an automatic).

#2. Poor design on rear "spoiler" (for lack of better term). This should have been designed to act as a wind defelctor to keep the rear window clean instead of for looks and to hold a light only. Another example of worthless plastic on todays cars.

#3. Most Japanese cars are designed this way, so this isn't pointed at the Pilot. I have long legs and when I crank the seat all the way back, the steering wheel is at full arms length and somewhat uncomfortable for long trips.

I knew about #3 when we bought, but #1 can be a real pain in the mountains which we have a few of around here.

It's the wife's car and she loves it, I prefer my truck (that's why we have two cars :) )
Overall it's a great vehicle.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
My '00 Accord EX-L had automatic door locks, i.e., shift into gear & move, the doors lock. Stop, shut off the ignition, doors unlock.

I'm surprised the Pilot lacks this feature.

However, I'm not sure I'd elevate it to the level of "Peeve."

Regards,

Walt Kuleck

ck55 said:
What are your pet peeves?

--snip--

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can think of many things that should have been standard on the albeit upgraded EX model but, that has all been said many times over before. From a recurring usage perspective I sure get tired of trying to force myself to make that seemly un-natural grab for the tailgate handle on the inside of the gate while remembering to keep the head clear before giving it a swift downward pull and quick release (slam) or alternately placing the other hand on the outside finish and more gently apply downward pressure hoping it will then securely latch in the closed position. It's a potential pain to several body parts! I have had visions of riveting a chrome drawer handle to the exterior of the gate which, while certainly being a functional improvement, would tend to put too much chrome on the back for my preferences but guess they come in other finishes; maybe black? lol You know, the more I think about the handle being on the inside maybe it was designed to be used from the inside instead of the outside. Course, then I guess the forward facing rear seat should have been positioned athwartship.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's my list, after a month or so...

pp1> Fastening driver seatbelt is a reach-in-the-hole experience
that is tougher than it should be.

pp2> If you drop some change from your right pocket, it is visible
but unreachable (at least with the under-seat CD changer).

pp3> Little side pockets in the console are of no value.

pp4> Am I the only guy still drinking coffee from a standard, ceramic
mug? It won't fit the holder! Am I required to get a $27
Starbucks stainless steel thingy?

pp5> For $30k, I want crossbars INCLUDED. Odyssey was same.

:D But I loves me Pilot. :D

·
Registered
747 Posts
Shift level

* I really miss traditional Honda shift level, the one from floor console. So you can manually down shift by pulling the level down. For a 4 speed auto, they allow you to pull between A3 and A4 without hitting the lock. Now Pilot is just great, I just give up hand shift. But kick down is not so bad...
* Brake pedal too high whil gas pedal almost on floor.
* If Honda have to put shift level on console like a mini van, why don't they put bench seat on 1st row so seats 9.
* Why people all like to buy Starlight sliver Pilot? Thank God I bought an LX, two tone on the side.
* How about one more inch legroom for 3rd row?

·
Registered
393 Posts
1) I want the stupid power outlets to stay hot when the ignition is off (without rewiring the damn thing):3: Can't charge the cell phones easily.

2) Shifter kinda tricky and hard to upshift without overshooting the gear you want.

3) Rear mud guards, crossbars and cargo cover should be standard like the Subarus.

4) Middle seat should slide to give more leg room for the 3rd seat.

5) Bummed I can't drive it everyday.:p

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dave's top 10 list:
1. 2nd row not adjustable fore-aft, unnecessarily limiting 3rd row seating.
2. Fuel consumption. While among best in class, I do wish it was doing 25 MPG in all-around commuting.
3. Road noise, especially on some surfaces. Much better in that respect than our 99 Ody, but...
4. Back window and tailgate get dirty.
5. Driver's seat back doesn't get upright enough. I prefer to tilt the seat a bit, and it's a long stretch to the wheel.
6. Front end plow and a low cornering limit. I realize it's a compromise, but.
7. Lack of steering wheel telescope function. Would help with (5)
8. Lack of lighting on steering wheel controls.
9. Trans doesn't downshift 'pro-actively' when slowing down, resulting in a irritating hesitation after turning the corner. Interestinglly enough, the 99 Oddy seems to do this better, although the tranny in the Pilot is otherwise much smoother.
10. Way-back seat A/C (or lack of the same). Middle seat gets cool enough, but the way-back seat is more than a bit toasty.

All said, all of these are minor nits; over the past 5 months and 4K miles, the Pilot's been a delightful mix of utility and driving pleasure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would have to agree with all that has been mentioned here so far. But in addition, I hate that the cruise control and redundant radio controls on the steering wheel are not backlit, nor are they placed in the optimum position. Also, the steering wheel radio controls should have included a power button.

·
Registered
483 Posts
booger said:
Pet peeves:
#1. Geared too high. If running without the cruise on the highway, hit a hill and speed starts to drop. Step on the gas slightly, nothing. Step a little more and then it downshifts. Now you have more power than you need and it shoots you up to the speed you want, so you let up on it slightly and it upshifts and the process starts over. So on slight hills I find it easier to drop out of OD (just a little annoying to have to manually shift an automatic).

Its a Honda, would you expect anything else ? This my 3rd Honda and they were all the same way. It is annoying and I must say that if I lived in the hills I probably would have bought another brand.
1. Since this is really my wifes car and I've only driven it twice in the 8 days that we have owned it, the one thing that irks me is the gear shift lever.................. what the heck were they thinking? They should have been able to come up with a better design than this, its in a awkward spot and the way it pivots, its hard to get it in the gear you want the first time.
As soon as I can get the car away from my wife (probably when she needs gas) I'm sure I will have more to add to this thread.
We better hope prospective Pilot buyers dont read this thread or they might change their mind. lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
1. agree with booger on the seating position for tall folks, so my peeve is essentially that it doesn't have a telescoping steering wheel.

2. would REALLY like a memory driver's seat. Its so hard to find that perfect position and swapping between me and my wife (who is a foot shorter than me) is extremely annoying.

3. Someone mentioned the spoiler, but not for the reason I will. It makes putting things on the roof rack VERY difficult. On our Subaru, if I needed to slide a heavy item up there, I could lean it against the tailgate and just lift the bottom and slide it up. Can't do that on this truck cause it will destroy that piece of plastic.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
1. window lock locks all windows.
2. No auto door lock
3. No remote tail-gate open

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
deleted...web-site problems :3:

·
Registered
112 Posts
1. Second row should slide forward to an alternate locking position, allowing for reasonable legroom for 3rd row when in use.

2. No way (as far as I can tell) to turn on the climate control without switching on the compressor for at least a split second (before you have a chance to turn it off).

3. No 'time elapsed' or 'time remaining' display on the CD player.

·
Registered
483 Posts
tonyrwc said:
As soon as I can get the car away from my wife (probably when she needs gas) I'm sure I will have more to add to this thread.
Well I havent been able to drive "our" new toy since the last post but she did let me wash it for her.

just a couple of things to add to the list that I noticed.

1. Why even bother to put three seat belts in the way back seat, its not like three people will actually fit back there. Honda could have left out the middle seat belt and fit in its place a couple more cup holders.

2. The middle seat in the middle row, hows that for uncomfortable, the only person I'd allow to sit there would be my mother in-law..........well maybe at times, my mother as well.

3. Try opening the hood, just the sound and feel of the sheet metal will remind you that this is no luxury car.

4. This are not really big issues but just more of an annoyance, the car drives and handles great , so my wife tells me and it is a Honda so I'm sure it will go for ever, it will get good gas mileage and it looks great. All in all we are very happy with it.

I just hope Honda doesnt fix these little "problems" in 2004, I'd hate to feel like I should have waited for the 2004 to come out!

·
Registered
152 Posts
1. No sunroof option.

2. No side mirror auto dimming accessory option. Why is the auto day/night rearview mirror available but not the driver's side mirror?

3. Sound system is poor.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
booger said:
Pet peeves:
The first "shift" you feel is the torque converter unlocking. This is what it should do to give you a little more power when needed.

It should not be "Shooting" you up to the speed you want unless you keep a good bit of gas on. I find the cruse control works great at holding one speed, or just let your speed drop a bit on the up hills and you will quickly pick it up on the down hills.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Center console displays

Visibility of the console displays (radio, clock, HVAC) is terrible. Especially if sunlight is entering through the windshield or side windows (washout). I wear polarized sunglasses and the displays just disappear. Even at night, notice that those displays are much dimmer than the the gage area on the dash.

My '91 Taurus has back-lit liquid crystal displays that are highly visible in all lighting conditions from direct sunlight to total darkness at all angles. 12 years later, this is a big step back in display ergonomics.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts