Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem challenged to easily find what is the right parts for the Pilot. I can easily find oem part numbers for my sierra and can find the parts easily. For the Honda...not so much. I go to a honda parts catalog site and i get three numbers and am unsure of how to figure out which I need.

Saw some old threads on hear and also looked at what RockAuto has. Lots of Reman ones and two new ones but neither is a brand that gives me a warm and fuzzy. Sort of thinking of getting the Bosch Reman for $136. Any help would be appreciated. Usually Amazon is my go to...especially to get stuff quick. But I cant seem to find similar ones on there.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking again at RockAuto ( I have never ordered from them before)...the shipping is slow and will take at least 8 days! Good grief. How do they stay in business?? I can get the Reman Denzo off Amazon and get it by Sat. so I may just go with that.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Looking again at RockAuto ( I have never ordered from them before)...the shipping is slow and will take at least 8 days! Good grief. How do they stay in business?? I can get the Reman Denzo off Amazon and get it by Sat. so I may just go with that.

Yes, but with RockAuto you can send in your old one. Core.

5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

·
Registered
258 Posts
Got a Duralast from autozone with lifetime warranty and it's been rock solid so far. Free next day delivery and 20% off with online order.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Got a Duralast from autozone with lifetime warranty and it's been rock solid so far. Free next day delivery and 20% off with online order.

Definitely should be considered.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

Definitely should be considered.
Agreed I only had to use the lifetime warranty on my 06 once ...
I concur with these guys... You can have it in hand in an hour or two, the core return process is quick and painless and if you have an issue down the road you can quickly remedy it.

Do you have an oil leak at the spool valve (the piece that the dipstick bolts into)? That gasket has been the subject of multiple threads on here with concerns about the leak going directly on the alternator.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even with the 20% off ($227)...the Duralast is more than the Delco shipped from Amazon ($222). I have had to swap out parts too many times from auto parts store's lifetime warranty and dont have any respect for them anymore.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
If I had time to wait, I'd go with RockAuto and Denso reman. You would have to pay an additional $10-20 to return the core. But their price is the best. You could speed the delivery up by doing 2nd Day delivery. Otherwise, I'm at AutoZone.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was wondering what the process for core return would be. Paying extra for that starts to erode the benefit for sure. Alternators are heavy.

Looks like I will go ahead and order the Denso from Amazon. Will have it in a couple days. I am just not sure how long her car can go with this issue and we cant afford to have a vehicle down right now.

They must have seen me looking...price went up to $227 on the Amazon one....sheesh....

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I was wondering what the process for core return would be. Paying extra for that starts to erode the benefit for sure. Alternators are heavy.

Looks like I will go ahead and order the Denso from Amazon. Will have it in a couple days. I am just not sure how long her car can go with this issue and we cant afford to have a vehicle down right now.

They must have seen me looking...price went up to $227 on the Amazon one....sheesh....
Yep, we have to pay for speed sometimes.
Again, the concern would be if that Amazon Denso reman, (or RockAuto for that matter) should fail.
Lost time waiting on a replacement.
The Duralast looks pretty good, with 20% off. No shipping fees, lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just ordered the Denso reman from Amazon. Delivery is tomorrow! This is why Amazon is my go to. And any issues I can return it on their dime.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...I did not even hear it yesterday when I was sitting inside and running my scan tool. (I have very severe hearing loss and miss stuff like that these days). But this morning my wife and son said it sounded weird. When she got home from her appt, I listed from the outside and could then hear it. And the faint burnt smell I noticed yesterday was much more pronounced...along with some smoke from the alt. I looked it over good and did not see anything leaking on it. So it is the bearings in it that have gone and are burning up.

Did some digging for videos on what all is entailed. Good grief! Gotta disassemble so much to access and it is not in a very easy location. I have 188k on my sierra and the OEM one is still going strong. Going to have to rub that into my wife who things hondas never need repair (she has seen me under mine many times! haha). The one on the sierra is so super easy to access and change out. This one is going to be a pain. Probably take me 2-3 hrs since it will be the first time I have done it.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
If you're already at 90K miles, and the serpentine belt and its tensioner have to be removed, would this be a good time to replace them?
For that matter, might you consider doing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump replacement now, as well?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Check the price with incognito mode. Might be different!

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're already at 90K miles, and the serpentine belt and its tensioner have to be removed, would this be a good time to replace them?
For that matter, might you consider doing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump replacement now, as well?
The timing belt is coming up soon. I had parts but found out they were fakes. So returned them and will be getting the Aisin kit. Will also do the serp belt and spark plugs then too. But for now, just doing the alt. I agree it would be nice to just do it all. But we cant take a $500 or more hit right now. So will tackle the rest in a few months. I still cant believe how much the spark plugs are. $100 for 6... just crazy.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well...the wife did not make it to work. She stopped at some smoothie place on here way in...and I got a call 15 minutes later with her saying her car wont move. Got to get it towed to the house now. I was worried we may not have a couple days of driving left in it. Darn it! At least I have towing insurance with State Farm. But I am home alone with a 3 yr old who is currently down for a nap...so coordinating all this is a mess.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Well...the wife did not make it to work. She stopped at some smoothie place on here way in...and I got a call 15 minutes later with her saying her car wont move. Got to get it towed to the house now. I was worried we may not have a couple days of driving left in it. Darn it! At least I have towing insurance with State Farm. But I am home alone with a 3 yr old who is currently down for a nap...so coordinating all this is a mess.
Missed it by THAT much... just needed to survive another couple hours and you'd have the new one tomorrow. Depending on how much the battery discharged you may want to put it on a trickle charger to try and save it.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was just reading some older posts and thinking I could try and charge it some and drive it home. But it is in a parking lot and I may not even be able to get next to it to hook up my cables. And not sure how long I would need to have some jumper cables connected to it to get enough charge to be able to drive it the 3 or so miles home. Agraviting!

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the Pilot picked up and brought back home. Fortunately we have towing insurance on our policy so it was no charge.

Started messing with removal so that all I need to do is install when it shows up tomorrow. I got it out and did not have to remove the idler bracket and pulleys not disconnect the power steering reservoir. It was tight but doable. I just had to push the idler pulley out of the way with a wrench while removing it.

Had some helpers too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts