Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm about to use my OEM rims for winter tires, and buy a complete set of new summer wheels.
I'm choosing between 20" and 22" and leaning towards 20" as it allows some more shoulder on the tires and it's not a track day car anyway.
Anyway. The size of the wheel is not an issue. I can easily configure it to end up with a proper diameter to prevent speedometer isues. The question is, what width can I fit?
I want either 9,5" or 10" wide rims, since the nice looking ones I have found are available in those dimensions (especially 10" is common).
According to some wheel size table I have found, I should have ET35 to work with 10" rims and ET40 with 9,5" wide rims.

But what if the rims I have found are 10" wide and have ET40? will the tires hit the suspension or something?

So let me know what aftermarket rims and tires you have fitted that you know will work well (maintaining a good drivability and of course not have any issues with interfering with anything else around the wheel!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyone using wide wheels?
Please!
There are some threads about aftermarket wheels...

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
A few threads here and in the wheels and tires section.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are some threads about aftermarket wheels...
Yes, but mostly thinner rims than what I was looking for.
I have now bought 20”x10” ET35 rims fitted with 285/45 tires. I hope it will work...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, but mostly thinner rims than what I was looking for.
I have now bought 20”x10” ET35 rims fitted with 285/45 tires. I hope it will work...
It is funny how you already bought a wheel and tire, hoping that it may fit.
  • The overall diameter of the tire will fit with no issues. Typically the max, diameter would be 30.5" (OEM is 29.6")
  • Your scrub radius is +18mm over stock. Never good to have that much scrub, but hopefully in an event of a panic stop or an evasive manuver, your vehicles behaves as you expected.
  • Max recommended tire size is 275/45-R20, So with the 285/45, you would probably have some clearance issues under full lock and mid to full suspension compression.

What is the weight of your wheel and tire package per corner?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
  • with no issues. Typically the max, diameter would be 30.5" (OEM is 29.6")
  • Your scrub radius is +18mm over stock. Never good to have that much scrub, but hopefully in an event of a panic stop or an evasive manuver, your vehicles behaves as you expected.
  • Max recommended tire size is 275/45-R20, So with the 285/45, you would probably have some clearance issues under full lock and mid to full suspension compression.
What is the weight of your wheel and ti
Yeah. A bit crazy perhaps, but I've read enough to know that it wouldn't be any major issues except perhaps scrubbing on the inner fender during full lock. When you say scrub radius, do you mean the circumference of the wheel? That's pretty much spot on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When you say scrub radius, do you mean the circumference of the wheel? That's pretty much spot on.
Nope.

Scrub radius is an often overlooked by a vast majority of folks selling wheels/tires and those who purchase them for their vehicles. This is a suspension design component (like camber and toe) and has adverse effects on vehicle behavior, if overlooked (which it is often).

Scrub Radius & what it means >> Technical | H&R Special Springs, LP.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Very interesting, even though I had some difficulties understanding all terms in English.
If I understand this correctly, it has to do with where the wheel center is located compared to the angle of the strut.
It would mostly be affected by the ET of the rim and width of the tire.
I have increased the width of the tire by 40mm compared to the original set up and I have decreased the ET by 20mm (moving the center of the rim 20mm more outward. So basically I have changed the scrub 20mm outward (adding 20mm positive scrub).

Did I get it right, or completely wrong :) ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I installed the new wheels today and here are my experiences for others seeking the same information.
I have 20x10” ET35 wheels with 285/45 tires. It fits, but when in full lock and reverse it's a bit of rubbing on the inner plastic wheel arch thing.and it’s a bit on the limit on the outside. Full lock and in D it's not rubbing, so it's very close to OK.
Going 2” wider than stock and 20mm higher ET means that almost all of those 2” will be building outwards. So my rear tires are actually slightly outside the wheel arch.
This can be adjusted by increasing The offset, but it’s basically just a finger width between the wheel and the strut in front, so ET40 or perhaps ET42 is maximum I dare say can be used with 10” wide rims and 285 tires.
Slightly thinner tires might allow a few mm extra ET, but I wouldn’t take the chance.

I can't increase ET on these wheels due to the way they are manufactured, so next time when I buy tires, I'll go slightly thinner. 275/45 or even 265/45.

The scrub is increased by 18mm, but if anything, the car handles much better than with the stock wheels. It’s reacting quicker and feels much more “planted” on the road than with the stock wheels.

C6385C17-39B3-4445-9257-BB34862D38AD.jpeg
A1565092-4141-4E4D-A810-091EDFA1BA50.jpeg
E94BB299-293F-4039-838E-0B1500662C8F.jpeg D10AAD80-058E-4C18-83DA-B4A7CA94E4D4.jpeg

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
That's a good look on your Pilot, well done!

Reactions: Steffo

·
Registered
94 Posts
@Steffo , why did you choose to go with 285? For a vehicle that is not setup as a performance vehicle, is that a good sacrifice? Granted the tire is probably around 35lbs each, I am not sure what the weight of each wheel is (38lbs maybe)? with that much width on the tire, I am sure it grips very nicely, but are you able to take the turns at the same speed as you did with 245/60s?.
How heavy is your current wheel/tire setup?
I would not have gone with 18mm of positive scrub than OEM, but I wonder how it behaves during a panic stop from 60mph. Typically that is when the scrub radius variance is apparent.

However, I have to agree that it does look real nice. :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
New wheels and tires look awesome! Pilot has an aggressive stance and can see why your handling characteristics have changed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Steffo , why did you choose to go with 285? For a vehicle that is not setup as a performance vehicle, is that a good sacrifice? Granted the tire is probably around 35lbs each, I am not sure what the weight of each wheel is (38lbs maybe)? with that much width on the tire, I am sure it grips very nicely, but are you able to take the turns at the same speed as you did with 245/60s?.
How heavy is your current wheel/tire setup?
I would not have gone with 18mm of positive scrub than OEM, but I wonder how it behaves during a panic stop from 60mph. Typically that is when the scrub radius variance is apparent.

However, I have to agree that it does look real nice. :)
I wanted to have wider rims as the stock ones are dissapearing in the wheel arch, so 9,5 or 10" rims would be the choice. These are 10" wide, and then 285 would be a good match to get enough rubber outside the rim to prevent the rim from being scrubben at pavements for inistance. 275 would also be enough I realize now, but when I bought the tires I thought better safe than sorry.
There are only two downsides with this setup.
1, I should have selected a slightly higher ET so that the wheels had come 5mm further in which would have prevented the slight scrubbing of the plastic inner fender while in reveser and full lock.
2, when traveling on roads that are worn by heavu traffic, the car tends to roll in and out of the tracks in the road. I don't know the english term for it. In Sweden we say something like "the car is tracing the tracks".
Maybe there is slightly more road noice with the wider and thinner wheels also as a disadvantage.

Other than this, all is positive. The looks mainly, but also the handling in all types of driving. Quicker steering feel, much better traction in tight corners, better stopping power during heavy breaking. There is no noticable disadvantage to emergency breaking due to the positive scrub.

·
Registered
94 Posts
2, when traveling on roads that are worn by heavu traffic, the car tends to roll in and out of the tracks in the road. I don't know the english term for it. In Sweden we say something like "the car is tracing the tracks".
Maybe there is slightly more road noice with the wider and thinner wheels also as a disadvantage.
late to the party here as I do not log on much.

That is one of the downsides of having huge variance in scrub radius. When the vehicle starts to 'track' or follow the road grooves, the driver has to constantly correct via steering inputs to maintain a straight driving vehicle. This because laborious and in such a road condition when emergency stopping is required, it can become somewhat scary.
Using larger diameter tires & wheels also affect the effective torque output at those corners with the torque diminishing as the size increases. This also reduces overall acceleration. This could be the reason why some feel more confident in turns, as their overall vehicle speed is scrubbed (compared to it being on OEM spec tire/wheel package).

Enjoy the combination and keep us updated on your future adjustments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts