Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was crawling underneath my car this morning to change my fog lights and noticed some leakage around the transmission. I put my finger in it and it had not odor at all.
Any idea what this is? Hoping it’s nothing major but maybe it’s time to get the 4Runner I’ve always dreamed of?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,300 Posts
Did you forget to use a crush washer just so you'd have the perfect plausible deniability excuse to get that 4Runner you've got your heart set on? :p

If a rear main seal, you've got a hard choice to make: 8 buck bottle of AT-205 or 4Runner. :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you forget to use a crush washer just so you'd have the perfect plausible deniability excuse to get that 4Runner you've got your heart set on? :p

If a rear main seal, you've got a hard choice to make: 8 buck bottle of AT-205 or 4Runner. :D
Yikes are those my only options?;)
Crush washer for what? Its covering the rear of the transmission so I don't really know what it's coming from. But to answer the question, I always (re)use crush washers.

This seems new although I haven't really looked under the car since my last oil change which was early December.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
IMHO, looks clean down there. It's how old/miles?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Look again. There’s quite a bit of oil under there. It’s 2008 with 205k miles.
Are any fluids low? Depleting early?

My 2008 w/ 188K has more oil residue under mine than you have on yours. It never leaves any puddles.
I'm not worried about any leaks.on mine, that is not nearly as clean as yours. That's all I'm saying.
Hope you find and fix it.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure looks like it. Decision time. :) Don't make me sic Scotty on you.
well if it’s the rear main seal I think I’ll likely monitor the oil level and top off as needed. If it gets worse then it’ll be the real decision time.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are any fluids low? Depleting early?

My 2008 w/ 188K has more oil residue under mine than you have on yours. It never leaves any puddles.
I'm not worried about any leaks.on mine, that is not nearly as clean as yours. That's all I'm saying.
Hope you find and fix it.
I haven’t noticed any puddles. I can handle this, I just have been happy to have a non leaky Honda for once.
It’s been 5,000 miles since my last oil change. It’s gone down maybe 1/4 qt. So totally manageable.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I've had a rear main seal leak for 100k on the Crosstour. It's at 259k miles. If you got oil on the other side, that's way more urgent. IMO, these V6s need an oil pan and pump reseal at 180k more less. Oil on the timing belt for to long and it's over.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had a rear main seal leak for 100k on the Crosstour. It's at 259k miles. If you got oil on the other side, that's way more urgent. IMO, these V6s need an oil pan and pump reseal at 180k more less. Oil on the timing belt for to long and it's over.
Rear main seal doesn't leak onto the timing belt does it?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts