Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be using my 08 Pilot FWD to tow a trailer with my motorcycle in it to the Track - Autobahn Country Club in Joliet IL. About 120 miles away.
It's got a hitch I put on it. No Extra Tranny cooler.
The 'load' trailer and bike, etc. will not be more than 2500#'s. I think I'll be fine.

It's too bad my Truck is down with a bad fuel pump. I was going to put the motorcycle in the bed and haul it down,
not anymore.
Once again, the Pilot 'trumps' the Truck!

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
So I'll be using my 08 Pilot FWD to tow a trailer with my motorcycle in it to the Track - Autobahn Country Club in Joliet IL. About 120 miles away.
It's got a hitch I put on it. No Extra Tranny cooler.
:eek:

It's too bad my Truck is down with a bad fuel pump.
Aren't you curious why the crew/quad cab pickup takes a different fuel pump from the standard cab model?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts

Aren't you curious why the crew/quad cab pickup takes a different fuel pump from the standard cab model?
No ATF cooler. Got a way to monitor transmission temps?

Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,593 Posts
You’ll be fine. I’ve know neglected Pilots tow overloaded and done great.
I suppose if you had a Ridgeline your truck wouldn’t be out of service…
absolutely and if these Pilots can’t handle 300 miles of light towing without the transmission overheating then they aren’t nearly as reliable as everyone makes them out to be.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
760 Posts
When I needed to haul 13 sticks of 20 foot 1” pvc for a waterline I took my company truck to pick them up. Got there and tried to figure a way to rig them on truck. Decided to go back home, get the 2005! Yep- Strapped them from bumper to bumper and proceeded back home thru middle of town! Decided at that point that I don’t need a truck- Pilot does everything I need and then some! 😁👍. Wish I could find pictures of the rigging job!! Lol
Also- hauled [email protected] 2x12x12 pt & [email protected] 2x6x10 pt when I was rebuilding our back deck stairs. Yes they are 28 ft wide !! Lol

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I bring up a cooler, not because the Pilot can't tow without it, but because the idea is to help it last long into the future. An ATF cooler will drop the temperature.

Reactions: PLT383

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,335 Posts
I bring up a cooler, not because the Pilot can't tow without it, but because the idea is to help it last long into the future. An ATF cooler with drop the temperature.
Absolutely true. Keeping fluid fresh also helps. Nothing wrong with basically halving time between ATF changes if you tow.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I know it does, not really curious though, but tell me anyways LOL!

No ATF cooler. Got a way to monitor transmission temps?
Cooler/Smooler. NO, and I don't want to 'monitor' transmission temps- so there (where's my stick out tongue emoji?)

Now Now, I wouldn't have a REAL truck either, would I? LOL

When I needed to haul 13 sticks of 20 foot 1” pvc for a waterline I took my company truck to pick them up. Got there and tried to figure a way to rig them on truck. Decided to go back home, get the 2005! Yep- Strapped them from bumper to bumper and proceeded back home thru middle of town! Decided at that point that I don’t need a truck- Pilot does everything I need and then some! 😁👍. Wish I could find pictures of the rigging job!! Lol
Also- hauled [email protected] 2x12x12 pt & [email protected] 2x6x10 pt when I was rebuilding or back deck stairs. Yes they are 28 ft wide !! Lol
Before the Fuel pump croaked- I was putting the motorcycle and other things in the bed. I can't do THAT with a Pilot. I can pull a light trailer though.

I/We also have a 2015 4WD, with the ATS coolers too! I'm not even using that one though for this light trailer.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Cooler/Smooler. NO, and I don't want to 'monitor' transmission temps- so there (where's my stick out tongue emoji?)
A Rebel, living life on the edge.
Be safe, enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
You wouldn't have a fuel pump problem if you got one of them there fancy F150 EV's.
Or one of those hydrogen ones that the world is waiting for.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Or one of those hydrogen ones that the world is waiting for.

What do you mean the world is waiting for???? We were driving hydrogen powered patrol cars back in the 80's. Was a pain in the rear if you ran out of fuel. Wasn't like you could coast into the local gas station to fill up.

I suspect that we may see the liquid piston engine before we see reliable hydrogen power. They have a few distinct advantages over the current engines.
They can use. Diesel, gasoline, natural gas, JP-8

They have:
High power density – up to 2 HP/Lb (3.3 kW/kg)
30% smaller and lighter for spark-ignition (SI) gasoline engines
Up to 75% smaller and lighter for compression-ignition (CI) diesel engines

They can provide:
20% decrease in fuel consumption possible for SI gasoline engines
50% decrease in fuel consumption possible for CI diesel engines

And the can be scaled from 1 HP to over 1000 HP.

The military is quire interested in this engine with their one fuel policy, weight savings, maintenance reduction ( only two primary moving parts), and for an added benefit for some members here NO VCM!

It will be interesting to see what will be the next big breakthrough that changes the automotive market place.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
What do you mean the world is waiting for???? We were driving hydrogen powered patrol cars back in the 80's. Was a pain in the rear if you ran out of fuel. Wasn't like you could coast into the local gas station to fill up.

I suspect that we may see the liquid piston engine before we see reliable hydrogen power. They have a few distinct advantages over the current engines.
They can use. Diesel, gasoline, natural gas, JP-8

They have:
High power density – up to 2 HP/Lb (3.3 kW/kg)
30% smaller and lighter for spark-ignition (SI) gasoline engines
Up to 75% smaller and lighter for compression-ignition (CI) diesel engines

They can provide:
20% decrease in fuel consumption possible for SI gasoline engines
50% decrease in fuel consumption possible for CI diesel engines

And the can be scaled from 1 HP to over 1000 HP.

The military is quire interested in this engine with their one fuel policy, weight savings, maintenance reduction ( only two primary moving parts), and for an added benefit for some members here NO VCM!
The Flux Capacitor was so promising. I guess Ford or Chevrolet bought the patent and that was the end of that.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
...............Cooler/Smooler. NO, and I don't want to 'monitor' transmission temps- so there (where's my stick out tongue emoji?)..........
No cooler and not monitoring TFT when towing.......WTF???? (can't find my "flying blind" emoji) Doesn't an '08 have two tranny coolers?.....one in the rad, one in front of the rad? Maybe I'm confused.....thinking Ridgeline instead.

By all means be safe/have fun at the track.(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, The 08 is starting to think it's a Truck! LOL
It's NOT a truck! But with my truck sidelined, a HAD to use my 08 FWD to haul some red maple limbs I trimmed this morning. While I was at the recycle place in my city to deposit my use oil and drop off the limbs, I got gas for the mower too.

I took a pic:

** But Wait!!
It gets better! We get back, put things away and I've been meaning to check the 2 fuses that can control the fuel pump on my 'real' truck. Both of them good, damn. I look at the relay again- I had swapped it for a know good one already from the A/C- the relays are all the same.
I figured WTH? I'll try and start it again.
After about a second, starts right up and idles like a kitten!!
I could have hauled the limbs in the bed! Oh well. Drove it around the block and got it out of my side yard and parked it on the street. Our Pilots, etc. go in the garage.

I'm going to try and be intelligent though and still take the U-haul motorcycle trailer I rented and haul my GSXR1000 in the trailer with the 2008. At 195K miles- still reliable- like a Truck LOL!

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
760 Posts
Well, The 08 is starting to think it's a Truck! LOL
It's NOT a truck! But with my truck sidelined, a HAD to use my 08 FWD to haul some red maple limbs I trimmed this morning. While I was at the recycle place in my city to deposit my use oil and drop off the limbs, I got gas for the mower too.

I took a pic:

** But Wait!!
It gets better! We get back, put things away and I've been meaning to check the 2 fuses that can control the fuel pump on my 'real' truck. Both of them good, damn. I look at the relay again- I had swapped it for a know good one already from the A/C- the relays are all the same.
I figured WTH? I'll try and start it again.
After about a second, starts right up and idles like a kitten!!
I could have hauled the limbs in the bed! Oh well. Drove it around the block and got it out of my side yard and parked it on the street. Our Pilots, etc. go in the garage.

I'm going to try and be intelligent though and still take the U-haul motorcycle trailer I rented and haul my GSXR1000 in the trailer with the 2008. At 195K miles- still reliable- like a Truck LOL!
Sooo....what do you think was the issue? Not that I care about "real trucks" anymore while I have a PILOT but Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sooo....what do you think was the issue? Not that I care about "real trucks" anymore while I have a PILOT but Inquiring minds want to know! LOL
I think it may STILL be the fuel pump LOL. Or a sticking injector, or the cam crank position senor?

Reactions: ConrodM
1 - 20 of 37 Posts