Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot 268,XXX miles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas of what this weird wispy white smoke coming from near oil cap? It appears to be odorless

Sorry that the video is short, once the cooling fan comes on it pulls the smoke away

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you've ever spilled oil down the front of the engine when filling it, you'll see a similar white smoke when the engine gets hot enough to burn it.

Is it consistent? My guess is that it will burn off the first time you get the engine completely heat soaked, and you won't see it any more. If you see it consistently, you probably have a leak somewhere and you need to find exactly where.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also check what's going on around the front catalytic converter - dead center of engine on the front side, underneath cyl5 spark plug and coil. Probably hard to see without removing the plastic engine shield and craning your neck. I suggest this because there's a tiny heat shield around it that might be missing on your Pilot. Hopefully @plplplpl or @aggrex or @Nail Grease can give more info on that.

You'll still need to identify the source of the leak, but that's a good place to check first.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also check what's going on around the front catalytic converter - dead center of engine on the front side, underneath cyl5 spark plug and coil. Probably hard to see without removing the plastic engine shield and craning your neck. I suggest this because there's a tiny heat shield around it that might be missing on your Pilot. Hopefully @plplplpl or @aggrex or @Nail Grease can give more info on that.

You'll still need to identify the source of the leak, but that's a good place to check first.

--Chris N.
Thanks for the info, will check it out and report back tomorrow. It is consistent, I thought originally it was just spilled oil/fluid burning off, but the smoke has persisted the last two weeks or so.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,201 Posts
White smoke is often coolant-related. First thing to check is your coolant overflow reservoir and under the radiator cap (remove only when cold!) for what the coolant level is. If the level is fine, hopefully your radiator is OK, though many here replace it as a preventative measure.

Otherwise, I just hope for your sake it's not a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the info, will check it out and report back tomorrow. It is consistent, I thought originally it was just spilled oil/fluid burning off, but the smoke has persisted the last two weeks or so.
ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
AH sorry life got quite hectic quickly. Turns out the issue is the y-pipe/flex pipe, was quoted about 700 to have it replaced... Also have to replace a motor mount and rear brake rotors/pads so not sure what I should do. Any advice?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts