Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the transmission got drained leveled and out came more than a gallon of fluid. Call it 4 quarts and maybe a pint or less

Everybody mentions this vehicle takes less than a gallon to drain/fill so kinda stumped

Should I just put back what came out in transmission fluid??

How much underfill can these units tolerate to drive?

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
So the transmission got drained leveled and out came more than a gallon of fluid. Call it 4 quarts and maybe a pint or less

Everybody mentions this vehicle takes less than a gallon to drain/fill so kinda stumped

Should I just put back what came out in transmission fluid??

How much underfill can these units tolerate to drive?
Since you posted in 2nd gen. I'm assuming you have a 5 or a 6-speed transmission. If you drained out on level ground, 3.5 quarts. While on level ground, you can get .3 -.4 more of old fluid out by jacking up the drivers side rear and letting it set. Then 3.8. 3.9 if you let it drip until it stops. These are from my personal experiences. It's not good to over fill. It can cause damage. So don't put back in what came out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The first time I did a drain & fill I had to add ~4.5 qts to get the level right. Make sure to check the dipstick correctly. I do a 10 mile drive to warm up everything, go to level ground, run thru every gear at idle, shut the engine and check level b/w 60-90 sec after shutting the engine.

My experience with Hondas is that they shift wonky with even a little under/overfill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts