Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Noticed really poor mileage around town lately dropping from around 17 mpg to 15 mpg. So I reset the trip A computer and took the Pilot out on the highway for an Italian tune up. Mileage went from an average of 15.3 mpg over the past 1702.9 mostly local miles to 26.2 mpg on a short 18.3 mile test ride on the highway. As soon as I got back on city streets the mileage started rapidly dropping. In another 6 miles the average including the high highway mileage had dropped to 16 mpg. I recently changed plugs, cleaned the MAF, and replaced the PCV and EGR valves. Checked for dragging brakes, wheel bearings, tire pressure, all fluid levels. No clue why local is so low and highway mileage remains excellent. I realize the trip computer isn’t all that accurate but a 15/26 city/highway spread is extraordinary. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Ignore it? LOL.
I hope you are doing well Jim,
Todd

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Welcome back Jim!

Honestly I have no issue chalking that up to environmental changes with the seasons changing. If you really want to dig more into the realtime data, grab a Scangauge or OBD2 style monitor and look at things like fuel trims, A/F ratios, etc. IMO I would not be surprised to see a variance like that around town, all it takes is a couple days of bad luck hitting more stoplights or idling a little longer to really hurt the mileage.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
306 Posts
No clue why local is so low and highway mileage remains excellent. I realize the trip computer isn’t all that accurate but a 15/26 city/highway spread is extraordinary. Any ideas?
The EPA spread is 7mpg so having 4mpg additional difference on a small data sample from a "not that accurate" trip computer is certainly within the range of variability. And individual city mileages very super dramatically depending on trip length, traffic, idle time, weather, etc. 15mpg city is low, but as an inspection of the data on fuelly will show, not that uncommon.

To have meaningful data, you need to take a lot more of it, maybe 10-15 tanks, to average out the noise, keeping track of the percentage of city vs. highway miles. And hand-calculate the mpg. A headwind vs. a tailwind on a highway trip can easily change things by 5mpg or more.

- Mark

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Frankly the MPG guesstimator in vehicles is worth about as much as a replica Confederate $1000 bill, or a Canadian Looney, which ever one has less value. The only way to really know what is or is not happening is pencil and paper.

If it was me I wouldn't worry about it until you actually figure it by hand.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ignore it? LOL.
I hope you are doing well Jim,
Todd
I intend to back burner doing anything about it until gas gets up to >$4/gal again which won’t be long at the rate things are being changed. Maybe get an electric car before those prices get too inflated for local trips and reserve the Pilot for longer hauls.

Thanks for the well wishes. Getting stronger every day. Started cardiac rehab today. Building up those wrenching muscles!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome back Jim!

Honestly I have no issue chalking that up to environmental changes with the seasons changing. If you really want to dig more into the realtime data, grab a Scangauge or OBD2 style monitor and look at things like fuel trims, A/F ratios, etc. IMO I would not be surprised to see a variance like that around town, all it takes is a couple days of bad luck hitting more stoplights or idling a little longer to really hurt the mileage.
Thanks, glad the back. Heck glad to be anywhere! (except 6’ under)

The 15 mpg average was over the past 1700 miles so with what little driving COVID and recouping from surgery has allowed me to do, that covers almost a year. Plus there is only one season in Florida, although it did go down to the 40's a couple times,

Good suggestion on checking fuel trims and air fuel ratios. I will check it out but it is just puzzling that the city mileage dropped a good 2-3 mpg in the past year with no difference in driving habits Yet the highway mileage is as good as ever. So it doesn't seem likely there is any mechanical reason that I can think of.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might need to bump up the air pressure in those squishy touring tires. They tend to get soft spots from lack of use or abuse. Glad to hear your back in form.
You mean inflate them to 41 psi hot so I can take curves at 90 mph with 5000 pounds of gross weight? I don’t use those cheap tires where you have to do that, ya know! Lol.

Thanks, it’s been a wake up call so I’m aiming to get back in better form than I was. Down 20 pounds in the past two months so far. Some of that is water from diuretics to calm down the post surgery swelling plus smaller portions of healthier food and very few carbs.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The EPA spread is 7mpg so having 4mpg additional difference on a small data sample from a "not that accurate" trip computer is certainly within the range of variability. And individual city mileages very super dramatically depending on trip length, traffic, idle time, weather, etc. 15mpg city is low, but as an inspection of the data on fuelly will show, not that uncommon.

To have meaningful data, you need to take a lot more of it, maybe 10-15 tanks, to average out the noise, keeping track of the percentage of city vs. highway miles. And hand-calculate the mpg. A headwind vs. a tailwind on a highway trip can easily change things by 5mpg or more.

- Mark
My curiosity was mostly over the average mileage dropping 2-3 mpg from 17-18 mpg to 15 mpg with no change in driving habits. Yet highway mileage remains as good as ever at >25mpg. The only thing I can think of that might cause this is the past year of COVID keeping highway travel and long trips lower than usual although I haven’t kept track of the actual city to highway ratios before vs during COVID. Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frankly the MPG guesstimator in vehicles is worth about as much as a replica Confederate $1000 bill, or a Canadian Looney, which ever one has less value. The only way to really know what is or is not happening is pencil and paper.

I know the guesstimator is just that but the actual mileage wasn’t a concern .... just that it has always averaged about 18 mpg on the guesstimator and then in the past 1700 miles I noticed it dropped steadily down to 15 mpg on the same guesstimator.

When I first got the car I did religiously keep track of miles and gallons pumped at fill ups and the guesstimator was within .5 to 1.5 mpg of the calculated mileage so I abandoned the practice after a while.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts

By hand? How Neanderthal!
I just say, 'hey siri'- what's XX (miles) divided by XX (Gallons)! LOL

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
By hand? How Neanderthal!
I just say, 'hey siri'- what's XX (miles) divided by XX (Gallons)! LOL
By hand for me these days it Fuelly, but I still have to type the actual numbers in.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Might need to bump up the air pressure in those squishy touring tires. They tend to get soft spots from lack of use or abuse.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
a replica Confederate $1000 bill, or a Canadian Looney, which ever one has less value.
Or a Canadian penny. Oh wait, those were taken out of circulation years ago because they're a waste of copper.

Copper is 'the new oil' and could reach $15,000 by 2025 as the world transitions to clean energy, Goldman Sachs says

Jim, nice to see you up and about. With that rejuvenated ticker, you might be inadvertently flooring it between red lights, which might explain...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Jim, nice to see you up and about. With that rejuvenated ticker, you might be inadvertently flooring it between red lights, which might explain...
Thanks plplplpl... glad to be up and about. Those bed sores give new meaning to get off your a$$!

I don’t like being first in lane at red lights because I take it very slow when the light turns green watching both ways for red light runners much to the annoyance of cars behind me. Seen and heard about too many t-boned totals and one fatality from rushing out into the intersection as idiots from the cross direction speed up seeing the yellow light to try and beat the red or outright just run the red. That hasn’t changed with the rebuilt pump but I’ll watch out for it. Because bone takes so long to heal, I’ve been steering hand to hand at the bottom of the steering wheel at the 5 and 7 o’clock positions since I’m not suppose to raise my arms as high as the 10 or 2 positions. So I’m generally driving more conservatively and slower until the sternum fully heals and I can use the over the top of the steering wheel faster steering motions.

Now how much and how my wife drove the Pilot during my two weeks in the hospital, I don’t know and I’m not asking. Lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
View attachment 148462
Noticed really poor mileage around town lately dropping from around 17 mpg to 15 mpg. So I reset the trip A computer and took the Pilot out on the highway for an Italian tune up. Mileage went from an average of 15.3 mpg over the past 1702.9 mostly local miles to 26.2 mpg on a short 18.3 mile test ride on the highway. As soon as I got back on city streets the mileage started rapidly dropping. In another 6 miles the average including the high highway mileage had dropped to 16 mpg. I recently changed plugs, cleaned the MAF, and replaced the PCV and EGR valves. Checked for dragging brakes, wheel bearings, tire pressure, all fluid levels. No clue why local is so low and highway mileage remains excellent. I realize the trip computer isn’t all that accurate but a 15/26 city/highway spread is extraordinary. Any ideas?
Nice to see mileage hasn't changed in 16 yrs...
2005 Pilot with VTM
City-15 summer/17 winter on Avg.
Highway 22-28 depending on speed and how flat the road is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I intend to back burner doing anything about it until gas gets up to >$4/gal again which won’t be long at the rate things are being changed. Maybe get an electric car before those prices get too inflated for local trips and reserve the Pilot for longer hauls.

Thanks for the well wishes. Getting stronger every day. Started cardiac rehab today. Building up those wrenching muscles!
Glad to hear your recovery is coming along - do what your doctor says! 🩺

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Nice to see mileage hasn't changed in 16 yrs...
2005 Pilot with VTM
City-15 summer/17 winter on Avg.
Highway 22-28 depending on speed and how flat the road is.
I don't know if they change the seasonal fuel mix here in Florida although I imagine the AC compressor runs more duriIng summer. I had been getting 17 year round no clue why its averaging 15 now. Need to hook up the ScanGauge and see what's going on. Highway mileage still in the mid 20's so it's a headscratcher since it's unlikely mechanical.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts