Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been noticing this the past few days and I’m really starting to wonder what the heck is going on.

At certain speeds, I hear a rumble type drone coming from the back right of my car. It happens when I’m driving either in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear (I think) and only when I’m not really increasing throttle. So if I’m driving down a side street at 25mph holding that speed. As soon as I add any kind of throttle it goes away immediately. The rumble almost hurts my ears. It doesn’t seem to be transmission related.
My 2 ideas are maybe a stuck brake or something to do with exhaust but I honestly have no idea. I could call my mechanic but I don’t really know how to describe the noise so I thought I’d ask here. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
I’ve been noticing this the past few days and I’m really starting to wonder what the heck is going on.

At certain speeds, I hear a rumble type drone coming from the back right of my car. It happens when I’m driving either in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear (I think) and only when I’m not really increasing throttle. So if I’m driving down a side street at 25mph holding that speed. As soon as I add any kind of throttle it goes away immediately. The rumble almost hurts my ears. It doesn’t seem to be transmission related.
My 2 ideas are maybe a stuck brake or something to do with exhaust but I honestly have no idea. I could call my mechanic but I don’t really know how to describe the noise so I thought I’d ask here. Thanks
It's like a metal rattle sound of some sort that can only be heard at low speeds but then goes away at higher speeds. I know exactly what you're talking about! Same thing happens to me every day. It doesn't sound like it is a mechanical problem but instead like something is loose and perhaps coming apart. That's the only way I can describe it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Damaged, worn or failing rear axle bearing can make a droning rumble noise at certain speeds.
Possibly be a wheel bearing. Vibration and pitch of the sound would increase and decrease with your speed. In this case, it goes away when accelerating. Hmmm, 🤔

·
Registered
312 Posts
If it is AWD or 4wd when was the last time you changed the rear differential fluid?

I agree with others that it could be a wheel bearing. But let me ask this, if you are in park and increase the engine rpms do you hear the sound or is it only when the car is moving?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is AWD or 4wd when was the last time you changed the rear differential fluid?

I agree with others that it could be a wheel bearing. But let me ask this, if you are in park and increase the engine rpms do you hear the sound or is it only when the car is moving?
It’s 2WD. I’ve shifted to neutral and revved the engine and the noise seems to still happen. But the car is still moving.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly be a wheel bearing. Vibration and pitch of the sound would increase and decrease with your speed. In this case, it goes away when accelerating. Hmmm, 🤔
It sounds like really deep bass kind of drone if that makes sense. I’ve only had one beating failure on the 2006 Odyssey and that seemed like a different noise but I can’t remember.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
IME on the '11 Outback the hub bearing rumbles from 25mph > 45mph then at higher speeds the road noise took over. Estimated repair cost for both rear hub bearings $1200. On the '03 Highlander the left rear hub bearing droned and progressed to an unbearable noise level and was replaced for $800. That particular year Highlander was not an ez diy job as the hub bearing had to be pressed in the knuckle. The OB hub bearing just needs to be beaten out of the knuckle lol

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It’s 2WD. I’ve shifted to neutral and revved the engine and the noise seems to still happen. But the car is still moving.
That should be the clue as the vehicle is still rolling. The 2WD Pilot rear hub bearing is a diy project as its only 4 bolts to replace the failing part.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That should be the clue as the vehicle is still rolling. The 2WD Pilot rear hub bearing is a diy project as its only 4 bolts to replace the failing part.
Am I correct in assuming that if it was somehow related to the transmission it wouldn’t be coming from the rear of the car? Of course that’s my biggest fear with this car😂

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that if it was somehow related to the transmission it wouldn’t be coming from the rear of the car? Of course that’s my biggest fear with this car😂
The sound going away upon acceleration is a symtom of the drive train. Your 2wd and the sound being in the rear of the vehicle rules the transmission out. You could get one of these 😁

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
The sound going away upon acceleration is a symtom of the drive train. Your 2wd and the sound being in the rear of the vehicle rules the transmission out. You could get one of these 😁
I bought the $80 wired version of the Steelman ChassisEars, and they worked great for helping me confirm my intermediate shaft bearing noise.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great. That’s what I like to hear!

·
Registered
11,371 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
One quick and easy thing to check and rule out is to tighten those rear latch screws first. It's easy and doesn't cost anything, but hard to guess if you didn't know. Now you know. Worth a shot.

Rattle/Squeak from rear of hatch

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s definitely not a rattle or squeak. But I’ll check that out.

It sounds like really deep bass if that makes sense. I’m out of town right now so wouldn’t be able to replace the bearing for a while. It seems to be exaggerated when I go over a bump with the rear right tire. So hopefully that’s all it is and I’ll take care of it when I get home.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't the Pilots have some sort of noise-cancellation feature, with that mic in the headliner above the second row seats? With my windows down and at low speeds I would hear this deep rumble, even with the radio off-

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Don't the Pilots have some sort of noise-cancellation feature, with that mic in the headliner above the second row seats? With my windows down and at low speeds I would hear this deep rumble, even with the radio off-
On the 1st gens? That would be the first I hear of it. :)

That deep rumble may be something else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts