Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago I was leaving the gym. I put my bag - including my keys - in the backseat. As I closed the door, I heard the car lock. Had to call my husband to bring me an extra set.

After that, I turned off the autolock when walk away feature so it wouldn't happen again. I'm also careful not to leave my keys in the car. I replaced my remote battery, too.

I'm still having the issue with the car locking after I put stuff in the backseat and close the door before getting in the front seat. It seems to be random and not persistent. At first I thought I was hitting the lock button on accident, so I've been careful to not press any buttons. It still happens.

I thought it might be a child safety feature, but I'm not sure. I've looked in the settings menu trying to figure out what setting might be causing it and can't find one. Has anyone else had this issue and/or does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It did it again this morning, Twice. Once while I still had the back door open and was putting stuff in. So I unlocked the car with the fob again. The 2nd time was right after I shut the door. I think it might be tied to the lights dimming. I changed the auto dimming setting from 15 seconds to 30 seconds last night, but it didn't seem to last that long.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's weird with mine as I don't lock it inside my garage, but found it locked at times. Don't see any pattern, but feel like if I don't use it for a few days then there is a good chance it's locked. Didn't set for auto lock at all. Most of the time it remains unlocked. Sorry I know this doesn't help you, but these things are having a mind of their own sometimes.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If the Pilot is still under warranty and if it gets to the point where you can easily reproduce the issue take it to the dealer. Most likely you will pay an upfront diagnostic fee which will be refunded if they find an issue and it’s a warranty covered item.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
And enjoy your workouts. I’m cruising on a spin bike as I write this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, I figured out the issue. I noticed that the lights never came on when I opened this door, but would on all my other doors. I looked, and my rear drivers side door doesn't have a door jamb switch. The part is there, but the rod that extends and is pushed in is completely missing. It seems like it was never installed. Not sure if it's worth trying to fix under warranty or just paying $10 to get our own switch and doing it ourselves.

Just wanted to post an update in case someone else has this issue.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, I figured out the issue. I noticed that the lights never came on when I opened this door, but would on all my other doors. I looked, and my rear drivers side door doesn't have a door jamb switch. The part is there, but the rod that extends and is pushed in is completely missing. It seems like it was never installed. Not sure if it's worth trying to fix under warranty or just paying $10 to get our own switch and doing it ourselves.

Just wanted to post an update in case someone else has this issue.
Does that mean when you are driving and that back door is not properly closed you don't get any warning on your dash that the door is ajar (slightly open)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It gets even better. Took the door sensor off to see if it was just a lose connection, and it's not even wired! There is no wire that we can see in the column at all. I bought it used last year and it's still well under 36,000 miles, but I'm sure it's getting close to the 3 years. I'm hoping my local dealership will fix it since it's going to be a more complicated repair. Kind of appalled someone at the factory didnt care that it wasn't wired and very grateful the door has always been properly closed while driving, as now we know the door doesn't register with the car sensor at all. 😑

ETA: Dealership told me it couldn't have come from the factory that way because it would throw up warning lights and drain our battery if the door wasn't connected. They said the car was likely in an accident and if they got in the column and someone else had cause the issue it would cost $200 to diagnose plus repairs. I made an appointment and hoped they would be honest. Went out there with a flashlight and looked in the column really well. Found the wire/switch and installed it. Car now registers that door - lights come on and the door ajar light activates. So I saved myself a possible $200 and learned the dealership had no clue what they were talking about because it took us about 5 seconds to fix the issue and we never had warning lights or a battery drain before.

Sorry to keep bumping the thread - but I just wanted to post follow ups in case someone else ran into the same issue.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It gets even better. Took the door sensor off to see if it was just a lose connection, and it's not even wired! There is no wire that we can see in the column at all. I bought it used last year and it's still well under 36,000 miles, but I'm sure it's getting close to the 3 years. I'm hoping my local dealership will fix it since it's going to be a more complicated repair. Kind of appalled someone at the factory didnt care that it wasn't wired and very grateful the door has always been properly closed while driving, as now we know the door doesn't register with the car sensor at all. 😑

ETA: Dealership told me it couldn't have come from the factory that way because it would throw up warning lights and drain our battery if the door wasn't connected. They said the car was likely in an accident and if they got in the column and someone else had cause the issue it would cost $200 to diagnose plus repairs. I made an appointment and hoped they would be honest. Went out there with a flashlight and looked in the column really well. Found the wire/switch and installed it. Car now registers that door - lights come on and the door ajar light activates. So I saved myself a possible $200 and learned the dealership had no clue what they were talking about because it took us about 5 seconds to fix the issue and we never had warning lights or a battery drain before.

Sorry to keep bumping the thread - but I just wanted to post follow ups in case someone else ran into the same issue.
Excellent found. Hope it wasn't caused by any sort of accident to the area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts