Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot AWD 7p Touring
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 2017 Honda Pilot Touring and had the ATC/Hitch/brake controller installed. I also just bought a trailer, the RV dealer is recommending a weight distribution kit, but I have read on here that Honda does not recommend it and it will void your warranty. Now that thread was pretty old, so I'm wondering if that still applies to 2017's?
I tried calling Honda customer service, but they are closed right now (due to COVID-19).
I'll try calling the dealership, but not sure if they know the answer to this.
Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
There are a lot of people that use them. Here is what your user manual says about them.

For me I don't want to rely on a weight distribution hitch. Instead I make sure that the weight is properly distributed in the trailer. Better on the vehicle and better on the trailer. This is what I use to do so. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Weigh-Safe/WS4-2.html The particular one I have has a taller drop and is for a larger receiver as I use a 3/4 ton PU for my towing needs. This will however make it easy to get the ball to the proper height and the weight distributed properly when loading the trailer. Plus I don't have to worry about having to worry about setup or re-setup.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
Honda used to have a thing about improperly set up WDH. That caused no end of threads like this. They really aren't hard to set up properly. I prefer the Equalizer brand. There is another section in the owners manual addressing trailer weight and it's effect on what weight you can put inside the vehicle. Worthy reading.
I strongly encourage anyone towing to use catscales to verify actual weight including weight on each axle.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
My opinion is it's worth having for a travel trailer. They tend to be a little nose heavy and they sway less the farther forward the weight is located. If you are not confident the RV dealer should be able to set it up properly for you.

The concern is that it is exerting force through the structure of the vehicle in order to press down on the front wheels. Unless you plan on towing this thing 20,000 miles per year it is of no concern.

Plus I don't have to worry about having to worry about setup or re-setup.
:unsure:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts