Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how the parking break should be used. When I use mine it doesn't seem to grab sufficiently - I get roll back on my slight driveway incline. This is when the parking break is fully depressed and the vehicle is in neutral. I did this to test it as it didn't seem to be holding when I braked. I woud brake and then simultaneously park brake then put the vehicle in park. When doing this the vehicle rolled back and the tranny park prowl would stop it.

Anyone have any info on this. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too felt that my parking brake seemed too loose, as it did not hold the vehicle in place when I took my foot off the brake pedal after placing the trans in Park. I took it to my dealer, where the service manager stated that the calipers of the disc brakes will "float", and that some movement after the application of the parking brake is normal, especially on an incline.
After reading the series of posts in the link above, I am beginning to think that either the service manager didn't know what he was talking about, or he was just feeding me a line of bull just to get me out of there.
It seems to me that if the Pilot's parking brakes are drum brakes, then the application of the parking brake should hold the vehicle in place on an incline, if applied before the foot brake is removed. Other vehicle that I've owned w/drum brakes worked this way. What is it about the Pilot that I don't know about -- or that my dealers service dept. doesn't know about?
I would like to know if anyone out there has a parking brake that *will indeed* hold them in place on an incline, if the parking brake is applied after the trans is in park, and before the foot is removed from the normal brakes.

thanks,
Phil Reedy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Weak point!!

The break will hold on a downhill grade but I have trouble setting it sometimes, especially if I am depressing the brake pedal at the same time!! (Like on a boat ramp!!) Very poor engineering!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts