Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us were evidently successful in getting NHTSA & Honda to recall a safety defect in the 2003 Pilot (timing belt tensioner pulley misaligned, which may lead to a crash). You should be getting a letter in the mail soon.

I am passing along the info. from a Piloteer from Edmunds.com. I was going to copy the link of the weak headlights review/advisory but could not find it. I remember reading it a couple of weeks ago.

=====================

Now we owners of the Pilot need to email NHTSA the following message, or a version thereof. Email the message below to: [email protected] (alternatively, use the web form on NHTSA safety hotline site at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/email.cfm).

Message that needs to be conveyed to NHTSA by as many Pilot owners as possible goes as follows: "The 2003 Pilot headlights are very weak and do not sufficiently illuminate the road ahead. This creates a very serious driving hazard on the freeway especially at speeds as high as 70 mph. The Pilot's headlights fail to illuminate the curves in the freeway, and consequently, Pilots can veer off the highway and get into crashes. Apparently, the Honda company is aware of this problem but has chosen not to take any action. We appeal to NHTSA to urge Honda to recall and replace the defective headlights".

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't understand the weak headlights cause? My Pilot has awesome headlights - much better than those on my 99 Vette.

Bake in Wisconsin

·
Registered
395 Posts
Several trips on the highway at night between Corpus and Austin or South Padre, no complaints about the headlights here, either.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Headlights work great here, too. I have considered installing the Sylvania Silverstarts, but was doing it more for the whiter color than for improved illumination.

Chris

·
Registered
290 Posts
I haven't noticed that they are weak, but mine do not appear to be aimed properly. They seem to be aimed too low. On a flat road the lights cut off between 20-30 yards in front of the vehicle. But there is a stark cut-off, for me it isn't because they are too weak to light further. I will likely have mine adjusted when I go in next as I forgot to put it on my list for my recent trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Headlights are fine

Mine are fine.
I am changing to the +50% type H4 (excuse me 9003, in case the NHTSA is reading) just because I like a lot of light.
Wait till I get a set of Hellas on the Safari Bar, and a pair on the roof rack :)

As for the aim, it does seem s bit low, I wonder if it is set for the weights of 5 to 8 people rather than 2 or 3?
It is an easy fix to raise them a bit.

Remember the aim is a 2.1 " drop at 25'.
That is measured from the center height of the lamp to the cut -off line on a wall.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Best headlights I've ever had. In fact we came back from the Finger Lakes and my friend commented on how well the Pilot lights up the road.

What's the story with the timing belt? Are all Pilots affected?

Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
timing belt

I think they were referring to the water pump problem that would cause timing belt failure. There was a recall on some Pilots, Odysseys, MDXs, and Accords for a supplier problem on some water pumps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
First time I drove a Pilot at night I remarked it had the BEST headlights I've ever seen. That seems to be a consensus here so what's the deal? Could a few Pilots have had bad headlights?
Al

·
Registered
149 Posts
My headlights are bright. However, I am switching to brighter and whiter ligt bulbs -- Sylvania Vision Plus -- which I have on 3 other cars.

·
Registered
900 Posts
VINs for weak headlights

If anyone else is seeing weak headlights, post your VINs for weak headlights - and confer to the VIN table at http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921 - and see if it's a range of production Pilots that see the problem. By the way, ours is 20620 and don't see a problem.

I see vegasdude, starter of this thread, is 17296.
vegasdude, does your Pilot have the problem, or are you just passing
along the info?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: VINs for weak headlights

havasu said:
If anyone else is seeing weak headlights, post your VINs for weak headlights - and confer to the VIN table at http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921 - and see if it's a range of production Pilots that see the problem. By the way, ours is 20620 and don't see a problem.

I see vegasdude, starter of this thread, is 17296.
Yes it was me. I am finding an excuse to have Honda replace our headlights with "Bi-xenon headlights with auto leveling"........LOL. I also did not notice any weak headlights but I did read somewhere online that MDX and Pilot have weak headlights that can cause a safety issue. I guess, I now have a homework to find that article or advisory on the weak headlights and post it on this website.

:eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
vegadude

Here's the link that the guy at Edmunds used to say that the MDX and Pilot's headlamps were reviewed as weak: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/46521/article.html

I think that the poster at edmunds, mr zzanonzz, was using his own bias to include the Pilot, since the article was written about the MDX an entire before the Pilot was released. I kinda think that mr zzanonzz (notice the anon in the middle of his name) was trying to further some personal agenda about the Pilot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For those with Siverstars

For those who have already replaced their stock bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars, how much of an improvement in visibility and color would you say the new bulbs give you? Use a percentage if possible. "Quite a bit" means different things to different people :)

I'm considering spending the money but would like to know if it's worth it for me

Thank you.

- Ben

·
Registered
39 Posts
just my opinion

I feel that the low beams are a little weak on the Pilot. The high beam setting is wonderful. The first night that I had the car/truck I was driving on a slightly windy highway and felt that the low beams were inadequate for speeds 45-60 mph. It is not a major problem but I would definately support brighter low beams.

This is my first SUV and I understand that the low beam aim needs to be different than a sedan, but I still want low beams that project further in front of the car. I love my pilot but I think that his is one of the few difficiencies.

Dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree that the low-beam lights do not adequately illuminate the road when traveling at speeds over 30 or so. It does seem that they don't throw light far enough in front of the car. It is something I noticed the first night, and read that others had observed the same thing -- and people posted that it's just the nature of the SUV beast.

I, therefore, keep my high-beams on as much as possible. If someone finds out that certain VINs are definitely sub-standard, please post... mine is one of the early ones, number 1548.

Thanks,

Diane

·
Registered
260 Posts
It seems to me the low beams are plenty bright, I think the problem some are having is the aiming. The lights do have a very sharp cut-off, more than any vehicle I've ever driven. I didn't get a chance to look for adjustments last night since it was raining. BTW my dad and I are still trying to find the adjustments on his Mazda MPV:confused: They are well hidden on that vehicle.

Al

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars IN

I just installed the Sylvania Silverstars on my Pilot tonight. I was not complaining of weak lights prior to the installation; however, I did prefer the clearer WHITE light after installation. Just tends to make the visibility "Crisper" than OEM Halogens.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Steve,

Where did you find them? I keep checking locally, but nobody had them in stock.

Chris

1 - 20 of 122 Posts