Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members

We are very excited to announce that we are live from the new platform! We have been working hard over the past few months with leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you and your community. We have leveraged XenForo tools and features but added layers of modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and overall be more reliable. All of the valuable and informative content archived within your community is still here, even though the layout may look a bit different. Check out some of the new improvements:

Engage with your community wherever you are and on the go!
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and reliability are the foundation of this new platform.
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

Easy to use and navigate.
We have made the design clean and simple to focus on the areas the community uses the most and removed the clutter. The collapsed menu by your profile avatar will provide easy access to the most popular topics as well as Showcase and Gallery to view the latest photos from your fellow members.

Show off your own collection.
We have introduced “My Showcase” for you to build and display images of your own collection or wish list to the rest of the community. This is your opportunity to upload often and share your passion!

Feel the pulse of the community.
Your home page now features the most active topics, viewed photos, recommended reading and top contributing members. This will help keep you the most up to date on what’s happening in your community.

These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Please take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform, Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

- Community Support

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is painful to read. So much white space (no dark mode doesn't make it better), minimal subject separation. Home page doesn't even show the 2012-2015 forum, have to dive a layer deeper to find it. Seems like it's trying to have a minimalist look, but it goes too far with it. VBulletin was easy to browse, spread out across the entire screen and worked just fine.

·
Administrator
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like most of us, I am a creature of habit, so it takes me a bit to get used to changes. I was lucky enough to get the chance to play with the new platform before they went live with it so I am already getting used to it. I have to admit that I am crazy about it. It feels so much faster and is easy to use after a brief learning curve.

I hope that with time you will end up liking it. :)

·
Administrator
30 Posts
This is painful to read. So much white space (no dark mode doesn't make it better), minimal subject separation. Home page doesn't even show the 2012-2015 forum, have to dive a layer deeper to find it. Seems like it's trying to have a minimalist look, but it goes too far with it. VBulletin was easy to browse, spread out across the entire screen and worked just fine.
@StephenPT

Give it a little time to grow on you, there is a bit of a learning curve at first.

Jeff M

·
Registered
237 Posts
I gave it some time with the DriveAccord.net forum. I frequent there as well. I held off posting anything but when I saw Piloteers.org change, I had to vent. I'm a member on easily 10+ forums and have been using them for 20 years. I've never been so put off by the format of a forum than this one.

I'm sure switching back to VBulletin is not going to happen, but if you could give feedback to XenForo here's a non-VBulletin powered forum that is more similar to XenForo in terms of layout but uses contrasting colors and more subject separation that makes it 1000% easier to read. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1032

·
Administrator
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave it some time with the DriveAccord.net forum. I frequent there as well. I held off posting anything but when I saw Piloteers.org change, I had to vent. I'm a member on easily 10+ forums and have been using them for 20 years. I've never been so put off by the format of a forum than this one.

I'm sure switching back to VBulletin is not going to happen, but if you could give feedback to XenForo here's a non-VBulletin powered forum that is more similar to XenForo in terms of layout but uses contrasting colors and more subject separation that makes it 1000% easier to read. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1032
We are still rolling out updates. All feedback is read and recorded, the contrast is on the to do list. Are you using the light or dark skin version of the site?
-Philip

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
A couple of initial observations:
  1. Can you point me to the Advanced Search function?
  2. How do you insert videos?
  3. Can we get back all our great legacy smileys, which have been replaced by stock emojis, including this one: :poop:?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I understand the need to update the forums but it feels we reverted back to the stone ages now I don't even have the function to see what was recently posted without digging into the forums..where the hell did the 2015 section go? is there a way to choose what is posted as the primary threads ? Why do i need to see the passport thread first? unless I own one... legacy smiles replaced by emojis...seriously ?... But then again forums are supported by paid supporters so its up the users that actually paid into the site.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As others have said, the empty space is horrible on PC. Looks like it was designed for mobile, not PC at a 1080p resolution. Make the "post" frame larger, much larger.

And I agree with this 10000% - seems like it's trying to have a minimalist look, but it goes too far with it. VBulletin was easy to browse, spread out across the entire screen and worked just fine.

·
Administrator
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Home page doesn't even show the 2012-2015 forum, have to dive a layer deeper to find it. Seems like it's trying to have a minimalist look, but it goes too far with it. VBulletin was easy to browse, spread out across the entire screen and worked just fine.
First feedback! Thank you guys for letting us know what your thoughts are. We'll try to explain and/or report how the site works from here on.

The Listings in the homepage are showing forums with the most activity.

If you select to [Full Forum Listings --->], you will be taken to the main forum index.

This is painful to read. So much white space (no dark mode doesn't make it better), minimal subject separation.
We're working on this. Dark mode is supposed to be good for night viewing (eye strains are a serious issue) but I understand that even in night mode, there are some parts that are hard to read. We've been noting places that could be improved for better visibility.

Why do i need to see the passport thread first? unless I own one... legacy smiles replaced by emojis...seriously ?... But then again forums are supported by paid supporters so its up the users that actually paid into the site.
I believe the Passport forum section was originally at the top, but I will confirm with you later.
Only universal smilies are currently available. Good news is, mobile users should be able to use to them as well, previously mobile users that use phone smilies in their posts ended having having those posts look like code.

This new look is meant to be mobile responsive but it's not specifically for mobile. We will have more upgrades and features on the site. Currently the features and functions are minimal but there are some neat tricks that we've added.
If you have any questions on how to do someone, please feel free to ask us. :)

Lee

·
Administrator
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of initial observations:
  1. Can you point me to the Advanced Search function?
  2. How do you insert videos?
  3. Can we get back all our great legacy smileys, which have been replaced by stock emojis, including this one: :poop:?
1. https://www.piloteers.org/search/
Here you go. it's not in the forum links anywhere right now but hopefully we'll get it rolled out soon. I suggest saving it.

2. Do you want to insert mp4 files from your pc to forum OR use links like Youtube?
With Youtube, you can just take the full URL from their site and post it here.

3. Currently, it's all stock but there will be more moving forward.

Lee

·
Registered
737 Posts
1. This looks like a mobile format on my computer... I keep looking for a "view PC version" button or similar.

2. Tons of wasted white space on my large monitors at work... the posts and whatnot should fill the width of the monitor, instead it looks like they are limited to certain widths... probably part of what makes it feel like a mobile platform.

3. The reply and post and all that buttons are difficult to track down, guess I'll get used to that.

4. The old forum used to have an "Active Topics" at the top of the forum, now it's buried all the way at the bottom. But instead of providing a time stamp of the latest posts it says how long ago... I found the time stamp helpful since I take rigid brakes so I know what I've read and what I haven't.

5. Now that I'm in the reply window, it doesn't show the old posts... I used that frequently when creating a reply before, would be nice to bring back the old posts that would display under the Post Reply button.

6. There are soooo many ads all over the place now... buried between posts, between threads, EVERYWHERE. I know you need to get money from ads but dayum, this feels excessive.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
1. https://www.piloteers.org/search/
Here you go. it's not in the forum links anywhere right now but hopefully we'll get it rolled out soon. I suggest saving it.

2. Do you want to insert mp4 files from your pc to forum OR use links like Youtube?
With Youtube, you can just take the full URL from their site and post it here.

3. Currently, it's all stock but there will be more moving forward.

Lee
  1. Thanks for the link, but where do you find it on the main page? Also, it doesn't seem to be working for me for finding older posts. When I try to find old posts of mine, using "Posted by: plplplpl" it returns no results found. In fact, even just looking up old posts with just key words (like GTA Car Kit or oring or whine) returns no results. It seems the search function in fact only returns results from this new iteration of the forum and cannot find any posts from before the changeover.
  2. Like this? Does it embed the video or just insert a link? Hope it embeds.
    Edit, OK, looks like it embeds. Great!
  3. Looking forward to that moving forward.🛴

·
Administrator
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
  1. Thanks for the link, but where do you find it on the main page? Also, it doesn't seem to be working for me for finding older posts. When I try to find old posts of mine, using "Posted by: plplplpl" it returns no results found. In fact, even just looking up old posts with just key words (like GTA Car Kit or oring or whine) returns no results. It seems the search function in fact only returns results from this new iteration of the forum and cannot find any posts from before the changeover.
  2. Like this? Does it embed the video or just insert a link? Hope it embeds.
    Edit, OK, looks like it embeds. Great!
  3. Looking forward to that moving forward.🛴
About the link, I also couldn't find it in the forum, YET. We're working on that and we have talked it out with the UX designers about this. But how I found out about it was pretty simple.
I searched a random work in the Search box and looked at the URL:

You'll notice that the URL is piloteers.org/search/########
I removed the extra information and hit enter. I've been around enough forums to assume how these features work. :)

Also, just like Youtube, you can also copy and paste the link of other social media platforms here and they should all be embed to forum. Try them all out.

Keep playing around and ask us about anything you want to know. We'll try our best to give you the right answers.

Lee

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It will get used to ..BUT the frame should be interactive to fill the screen on whatever device your on. right now its set to mobile device only .. on a PC / MAC you "should see" a fill screen fame not a mobile device frame....

is this in the works of being corrected ?

·
Administrator
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It will get used to ..BUT the frame should be interactive to fill the screen on whatever device your on. right now its set to mobile device only .. on a PC / MAC you "should see" a fill screen fame not a mobile device frame....

is this in the works of being corrected ?
I don't have an answer to this yet. Info on updates we get only shortly before they are rolled out to the public.
-Philip

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have found the new forum format is cumbersome to use:

1) There is no separation between “sticky” posts and current posts so I find myself looking at the time since last post to get to the first current post.
2) I have not found a single step method to switch between forums. The forums on the main page are not organized in any logical manner.
3) The dark mode is nice because it was very difficult to read posts with all that white in the background.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts