Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you wax the roof?

Washed my Pilot today and plan to wax tomorrow. I'm barely 6'. Used a folding step. I still find it quite inconvenient to wash the top. Wax is going to be a bigger headache.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Do you wax the roof?

Washed my Pilot today and plan to wax tomorrow. I'm barely 6'. Used a folding step. I still find it quite inconvenient to wash the top. Wax is going to be a bigger headache.
IMO you HAVE to wax/seal the roof. It takes some of the harshest abuse from the sun and rain. I personally give my roof two coats of Opti-Seal and it beads for at least 6 months. Plus that's a wax on walk away product so you don't have to go back and buff it off. I'm 6'3" and on my second gen I can make it work by standing on the sill at each door and on top of the tire for the back.

Well, you could always pay for automatic wash & wax. View attachment 134927
Trippy. How high was your camera before you took that picture?

·
Registered
24 Posts
6'0" here and it is a challenge to wax, that's for sure. I miss having a lip on the back of our previous vehicle ('03 Montana) that made it very easy.

One nice thing....my Elite has that big piece of glass in the back so there is a lot less to wax.....but then there is the challenge of applying Rainx!

Have a good one. Wish it was warm enough here that I could wash/wax during this lockdown.

·
Registered
659 Posts
IMO you HAVE to wax/seal the roof. It takes some of the harshest abuse from the sun and rain. I personally give my roof two coats of Opti-Seal and it beads for at least 6 months. Plus that's a wax on walk away product so you don't have to go back and buff it off. I'm 6'3" and on my second gen I can make it work by standing on the sill at each door and on top of the tire for the back.

Trippy. How high was your camera before you took that picture?
The cotton candy colors are so pretty. My car must be clean, right? 😯

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping someone would tell me it's not necessary, cuz no one sees it :D

Thanks. I agree. Roof gets the most abuse from sun and rain. Will give a nice coat of wax.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I was hoping someone would tell me it's not necessary, cuz no one sees it :D

Thanks. I agree. Roof gets the most abuse from sun and rain. Will give a nice coat of wax.
Sorry! I wouldn't go hog wild with polishing and all but it definitely needs a good, long lasting sealant.

Opti-Seal lasts longer than Rain-X on my sunroof, side windows and rear glass. Aquapel lasts longer on the windshield. Rain-X is relegated to my glass shower door at this point.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree, the topside of any vehicle should be waxed frequently. The sides not so much. I use an express wax about 4 times a year right after I wash and dry it. I use a small step ladder when waxing but just an extending handle with microfiber rag for washing. I think a lot of paste or liquid waxes are just too abrasive for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree, the topside of any vehicle should be waxed frequently. The sides not so much. I use an express wax about 4 times a year right after I wash and dry it. I use a small step ladder when waxing but just an extending handle with microfiber rag for washing. I think a lot of paste or liquid waxes are just too abrasive for a new vehicle.
Well, think about where you almost always see failing paint... roof, hoods, tops of fenders.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. I'm just being lazy here. What if I just apply the wax on the roof without removing it after few hours? It's going to be a super thick coat with years of protection. Am I right?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
ok. I'm just being lazy here. What if I just apply the wax on the roof without removing it after few hours? It's going to be a super thick coat with years of protection. Am I right?
It will be hazy or even crusty depending on what type of product you are using.

You need to get a wax-on-walk-away product like Opti-Seal or Blackfire Crystal Seal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
spend half a day doing a good ceramic coating. then you wont have to do anything for a while. I recently put Carpro Flyby 30 on my windows and it works great. Bugs and condensations wipe up much easier. Hasnt rained since I put it on, but water is supposed to bead off

·
Registered
274 Posts
spend half a day doing a good ceramic coating. then you wont have to do anything for a while. I recently put Carpro Flyby 30 on my windows and it works great. Bugs and condensations wipe up much easier. Hasnt rained since I put it on, but water is supposed to bead off
Ditto...... Ceramic coatings are great, they are not difficult to do yourself. I've been using Cquartz for 4 years now and have done 6 vehicles. Not only is the shine fantastic they are much easier to clean

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ended up using the CarPro CQuartz ceramic coating over the weekend after going through the suggested prep work and it was honestly not a bad process overall. The SUV looks great with the coating. The shine on dark color paint is awesome.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Waxed the pilot last weekend and thought of this thread. I was pretty tired from washing and waxing another vehicle then I started the pilot.. got to the roof and almost skipped it

Thankfully I have a sunroof and panoramic moonroof so in fairness I have half the paint of some of you.

20200329_171542.jpg

20200329_184636.jpg

20200329_184651.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, the roof is a big stretch, but a little easier with my Elite.

One question - I try to be careful but inevitably get a little wax on the black trim below the doors, fenderwells, etc. What have people found to be the best product to remove the wax/white film?

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the roof is a big stretch, but a little easier with my Elite.

One question - I try to be careful but inevitably get a little wax on the black trim below the doors, fenderwells, etc. What have people found to be the best product to remove the wax/white film?

Thanks.
pink eraser

1 - 20 of 22 Posts