1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I conducted an unscientific experiment today with two popular waxes -

1. Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax
2. Zymol Original Formula Cleaner Wax

My vehicle is black, so differences in shine are quite easy to ascertain. I followed the directions exactly for both waxes and applied one wax to half the hood and the other wax to the other half.

The results were quite surprising. The half treated with Zymol was not only shinier, but had deeper gloss and felt smoother than the half treated with Meguiar's. There is no doubt in my mind which wax performed better.

I understand that this is far from a scientific test (I am a scientist ), and one product is a cleaner/wax while the other is a straight wax, but for a one step process, the Zymol wins hands down.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use Zymol. It's very nice. Maybe not something to write home about or get excited over like the Zaino, but it'll work.:)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
:needpics:

Well, the thread is not exactly worthless without pics:D, but it would be nice.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jay said:
:needpics:

Well, the thread is not exactly worthless without pics:D, but it would be nice.
Pictures can't capture the differences in gloss or feel (at least my camera doesn't). I posted pictures of my dirty Pilot in another thread, and it looked as good as the "just Zaino'd" Pilots. I guess you'll have to take my word for it.:D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
guitarman said:
Pictures can't capture the differences in gloss or feel (at least my camera doesn't). I posted pictures of my dirty Pilot in another thread, and it looked as good as the "just Zaino'd" Pilots. I guess you'll have to take my word for it.:D
And we don't wanna give kemo any more material about me running over to Maryland to feel your Pilot. :D

Zymol is great stuff. Which was easier to apply and remove, the Zymol or Meguiar's? I've used both in the past, and thought it was a toss-up.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jay said:
And we don't wanna give kemo any more material about me running over to Maryland to feel your Pilot. :D

Zymol is great stuff. Which was easier to apply and remove, the Zymol or Meguiar's? I've used both in the past, and thought it was a toss-up.
First off, only my wife is allowed to feel my Pilot:4:

Both are easy to apply. I had some streaking with both products. Zymol recommends misting the car with water after removing the wax and then wiping it down. That took care of the streaking. I didn't try that with the Meguiar's. I just went over it again with the Zymol.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
jay said:
[ S N I P P E D ]
A N D
guitarman said:
First off, only my wife is allowed to feel my Pilot:4:
[ S N I P P E D ]
jay, you should not even be thinking about feeling another man's Pilot, especially when he's married! And guitarman, keep your Pilot out of sight before you poke somebody's eye out with that thing!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kemosabe said:
A N D

jay, you should not even be thinking about feeling another man's Pilot, especially when he's married! And guitarman, keep your Pilot out of sight before you poke somebody's eye out with that thing!!! :D :D :D
LOL

·
Registered
259 Posts
Zymol? I've used a bunch of waxes, but never this one.

1) Available most places?
2) Does it leave a white residue on black trim?
2) Does it last a long time?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
speedlever said:
Zymol? I've used a bunch of waxes, but never this one.

1) Available most places?
2) Does it leave a white residue on black trim?
2) Does it last a long time?

1. Available at Wal Mart - Don't get much more available than that.

2. "Not intended for vinyl, wood or simulated wood, metalized plastic, decals, or flat paint." I keep it away from any plastic trim.

3. The bottle says to use it 3-4 times per year. I've been using it twice a year with no problem (my cars are garaged). Water still beads after 6 months.

And to top if off, it smells really good. :claphead:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D I use zymol in my cars then top it off with the 3M show car liquid wax which has the wet look shine.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
my cars!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
my IS!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
my pilot:D

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks, guys. I think I'll check into the Zymol. I've used some Turtle wax 2000 that I have not been particularly fond of. Sounds like these are all similar to stuff like nuFinish, etc.

The easiest to apply and remove I've used is Mother's. But it's expensive and doesn't last long. OTOH, it doesn't affect the black trim.

Still, I'll go for longer lasting over the black trim thing.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
speedlever said:
Thanks, guys. I think I'll check into the Zymol. I've used some Turtle wax 2000 that I have not been particularly fond of. Sounds like these are all similar to stuff like nuFinish, etc.

The easiest to apply and remove I've used is Mother's. But it's expensive and doesn't last long. OTOH, it doesn't affect the black trim.

Still, I'll go for longer lasting over the black trim thing.
nuFinish, as I recall, is a synthetic polish. Zymol is a natural carnauba wax. My grandfather told me that it's based on a 100 year old German formula. The decription from amazon.com:

Manufacturer’s Description
With no harsh chemical solvents, this two-step car wax kit is safe for all car finishes. Zymol Cleaner Wax repairs light scratches and produces a mirror-like finish on your car. The car detail wax enhancer and finish seals with a brilliant protective coating.

Ingredients
Cleaner Wax: #1 Yellow Carnauba 12%, Bees Wax 3%, Kaolin Clay, Almond Meal, Chalcedony Crystals, Shea Nut Butter, Coconut Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil), Propolis (derived from Bees), Glycerl Stearate and FDC Blue #1.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jay said:

Ingredients
Cleaner Wax: #1 Yellow Carnauba 12%, Bees Wax 3%, Kaolin Clay, Almond Meal, Chalcedony Crystals, Shea Nut Butter, Coconut Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil), Propolis (derived from Bees), Glycerl Stearate and FDC Blue #1.
I think I'll start washing my hair with Zymol.;)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've used Zymol for the last few years. It was great when Costco carried a 2 pack for less than $10. Now, however, they sell a single pack packaged with their detailing spray (which I think has dubious value). While I like the shine and feel of Zymol, my only gripe is that like any wax, it tends to pick up impurities fairly quickly, requiring periodic clay bar treatments.

That's why I've been following the threads on Crystal Guard and Zaino. Wanted: a sealant with greater resistance to embedded impurities and the shine and feel of wax. Zaino seems to fit the bill, but Crystal Guard seems to have some advertised promise of even greater durability.

We'll see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
guitarman,

you say your results were surprising...I say not at all. You are comparing a cleaner wax, which typically has a small amount of microabrasive in it (hence the "cleaning" ability), to a regular wax. This would account for the difference in slickness and shininess.

Since the "shine" factor of any wax is directly related to the amount of polishing prep you put in before waxing, and you put in none before using the Meguiar's, it's no surprise at all that it didn't shine up as well as the cleaner wax.

For an apples-to-apples comparison, Mother's makes a nice cleaner wax you might want to compare to the Zymol. Or, polish the hood with Meguiar's #9 before using the Gold Class wax, and see if you don't get at least as good of a slickness and shine.

Nothing against Zymol, it's a nice product, but some readers may not understand the difference in your test.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts