Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site...first post on this forum.
Dug into our pilot this past weekend. Water was leaking like a sieve from the bottom of the timing covers by the crank pulley. So I figured it was time to replace the water pump. I've done similar work on my dodge challenger, so I figured I could do it. Some oddities like having to remove the motor mount, but each car has it's own set of challenges.

I able to get my hands on the pertinent pages from the shop manual. Also, a couple of you youtube videos were helpful, as were some posts on this forum. All-in-all, 18 hours to replace the radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, pulleys, timing belt and tensioner. Got all the parts new for about $200 with $60 in discounts. Work went pretty smoothly as expected. Only surprise was the timing belt tensioner bolts snapped, and I had to go get new ones at the hardware store. It wasn't too bad, I just took my time and did not rush. Very doable if anyone needs to do the same maintenance on their Pilot. Happy to answer any questions about the work involved.

It runs a lot better now. between the banged up radiator and the failing water pump, it sounds a lot smoother and quieter. Wife is happy. Hoping to get another 50,000 miles out of it at least. currently at about 155,000.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice work bud and congrats and bombing out a relatively big job by your lonesome. I just picked up a 06 with 112k. Needs a bunch of work. Thankfully I wrench on the side and can do much of the maintenance. Keep us posted as to how the truck runs in the future!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Congrats !

I am at 210K miles, working timing belt #2. My biggest problem was loosening the crank pulley bolt.

Make sure regularly change the trans fluid.

bob

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats !

I am at 210K miles, working timing belt #2. My biggest problem was loosening the crank pulley bolt.

Make sure regularly change the trans fluid.

bob
I hit the crank pully bolt with an electric impact gun and it came off without too much hammering. I've never owned on. After years of rotating tires by hand, and seeing as I had to get that crank pully bolt off, I went out an bought a Kobalt 8-amp electric impact gun. I figured, I've paid my dues with a tire iron. I saw a video of a guy doing all kinds of work to get it off with a cheater bar. I zipped it off in 2 seconds.

And yes trans fluid I'm changing regularly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts