Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Pilot EX with over 130k miles. The other day I noticed that my left headlight was out. There is also water in the headlight assembly. To my knowledge, it has not been removed and I have no idea why this would have happened. The right headlight is fine, no water and the bulb is working fine.

When I replaced the bulb I noticed that the glass for the bulb was gone...like it blew up and disappeared. I replaced it with a new bulb, but I'm concerned that it failed due to the water.

Does anyone know what would have caused this water in the headlight assembly and/or how to fix it?

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
46 Posts
Hot and cold cycles will ruin glued seams. Best guess the glue seam at the top of the housing is shot and water from your hood is leaking in.
Remove the housing, tip it over and see where it leaks from.
Water is hard to see....old motorcycle rebuild trick, coat it with spray talc before turning it over, and check for the wet spot.
Once you find it, tape off the area and coat it with spray flex seal clear.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
previous owner of my Pilot had a small vent hole drilled into the upper back corner of the assembly so that any moisture build up will evaporate from the bulb heating the air. of course the final solution will be to purchase a new assembly which will be needed soon because the buffing out the covers is getting old and not exactly yielding good results anymore

·
Registered
572 Posts
Water is hard to see....old motorcycle rebuild trick, coat it with spray talc before turning it over, and check for the wet spot.
Once you find it, tape off the area and coat it with spray flex seal clear.
Nice solution!

I used the vent hole approach in my backup light. No more problems, but a lot less heat than a headlight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts