Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks I’m new to this forum and I thought of sharing something worth mentioning. This topic is especially for the Piloteers who are driving in the winter with their vehicle.

In late December, my engine blew up because of the lower hose on the radiator was completely off it’s place and leaked every single drop of coolant I had. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize there was no heat as the car was still warming up while I was driving. On top of that, I never really clued in because I was feeling warm thanks to my heated seat.

everything happened so fast and soon enough the engine seized and I couldn’t go anywhere.

My point of this topic is, make sure you check your lower hose that connects to the radiator. Push the hose as far in as you can and inspect the hose clip.

My clip was completely rusted out, broken and useless. Overtime the hose managed to wiggle its way out and I ended up with a costly repair as I was forced to replace my engine.

The next time your under you’re SUV, just remember to check the condition of your hose clip. You’ll want to replace it if it’s in a bad shape!

I hope this was informative to you.

Take care everyone!

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Hi folks I’m new to this forum and I thought of sharing something worth mentioning. This topic is especially for the Piloteers who are driving in the winter with their vehicle.

In late December, my engine blew up because of the lower hose on the radiator was completely off it’s place and leaked every single drop of coolant I had. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize there was no heat as the car was still warming up while I was driving. On top of that, I never really clued in because I was feeling warm thanks to my heated seat.

everything happened so fast and soon enough the engine seized and I couldn’t go anywhere.

My point of this topic is, make sure you check your lower hose that connects to the radiator. Push the hose as far in as you can and inspect the hose clip.

My clip was completely rusted out, broken and useless. Overtime the hose managed to wiggle its way out and I ended up with a costly repair as I was forced to replace my engine.

The next time your under you’re SUV, just remember to check the condition of your hose clip. You’ll want to replace it if it’s in a bad shape!

Take care everyone!
Do you suppose the hose pushed off because the antifreeze/water was not a proper mix?

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Ive always put 50/50 antifreeze. But I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!
I'm no expert on antifreeze protection for extreme cold(being from the south), but I'm sure the northern Piloteers might have a thought or 2 on the subject.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm no expert on antifreeze protection for extreme cold(being from the south), but I'm sure the northern Piloteers might have a thought or 2 on the subject.
It would be great as Im curious to find out what other Piloteers has to say. Since the engine replacement, I’ve been actively working on repairing and maintaining my vehicle from A to Z.

I’ve ordered Bilstein B6 suspension all around and I plan to post another discussion if all goes well. It seems that many people are interested in the idea of Bilstein suspension but there’s very little information about them and what is required for the complete installation.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

Take care everyone!
Too bad about your experience and thanks for sharing. Some variables could be age of the hose and clamps, last time the cooling system was serviced they may have used lower quality hoses and clamps, last person working near the hoses may have accidentally bumped or damaged them, or just bad luck etc. The cooling system is a pressurized semi-closed system and perhaps there was a clog or defective part. Since you stated you enjoy working on your Pilot make sure your maintenance plans include inspecting the hoses and cooling system. Make it a habit to at least glance at your gauges / idiot lights. I prefer to use the OEM style hose clamps whenever possible.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
I have my doubts that it was an antifreeze related situation, although it could I suppose be possible. Based on your description I would suggest that the hose parted from the radiator due to the working pressure of the system. You describe the clamp as being rusted and broken which would mean you had no working clamp on the hose. The 13 +/- lbs of pressure the system builds up to would be enough over a period of time to push the hose from it's fitting. As aggrex suggested, consistent routine maintenance can go a long way to keep such situations from happening.

Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too bad about your experience and thanks for sharing. Some variables could be age of the hose and clamps, last time the cooling system was serviced they may have used lower quality hoses and clamps, last person working near the hoses may have accidentally bumped or damaged them, or just bad luck etc. The cooling system is a pressurized semi-closed system and perhaps there was a clog or defective part. Since you stated you enjoy working on your Pilot make sure your maintenance plans include inspecting the hoses and cooling system. Make it a habit to at least glance at your gauges / idiot lights. I prefer to use the OEM style hose clamps whenever possible.
That’s also possible yes. So many variables could have played in this circumstance. Like you said, from now on... I’ll be sure to add that onto my list of things to inspect when I perform maintenance on the Pilot.

I also agree with you on the clips. I’ve always used OEM for that kind of stuff. My problem now is that every time I see a rusty clip I replace it right away lolz.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have my doubts that it was an antifreeze related situation, although it could I suppose be possible. Based on your description I would suggest that the hose parted from the radiator due to the working pressure of the system. You describe the clamp as being rusted and broken which would mean you had no working clamp on the hose. The 13 +/- lbs of pressure the system builds up to would be enough over a period of time to push the hose from it's fitting. As aggrex suggested, consistent routine maintenance can go a long way to keep such situations from happening.

Good luck with the repairs.
I agree with you, also thanks for your input. I should have joined this forum a long time ago!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. You might also add checking the transmission connections to the radiator when you're inspecting the vehicle from below. Those have been known to fail, though more so on the 2005 Pilot.

Reactions: WiseMagnet

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. You might also add checking the transmission connections to the radiator when you're inspecting the vehicle from below. Those have been known to fail, though more so on the 2005 Pilot.
Thankfully I caught that as well when I was underneath the vehicle. Their was transmission sweat on the cooler line so I replaced that at the same time of the
engine swap. Including all the clips with it haha.

I definitely do NOT want to deal with anything like this again. Im taking every precautionary measures I can.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
I finally had the radiator hoses replaced on my '03 Pilot, after 17 years, as part of the second timing belt job.
That caused some delay because the hoses had to be ordered from the Honda parts warehouse.
The service manager asked if I really wanted to have the hoses replaced because they seem to last "forever".
I insisted. New hose clamps were installed, as well.
While the hoses themselves might last "forever", maybe the clamps don't have an infinite lifetime - especially if your Pilot lives in the snowbelt.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
If your radiator hose clamp looks like this (or any clamp for that matter), it needs to be replaced.

I'd also add that it's best to place the clamp just past the raised ring portion of the outlet to insure a proper seal. This clamp is a little far forward.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
post a picture of this rusted out hose clamp that failed. very curious of the faulty design. most radiator hose clamps should be this type
View attachment 146728
I took pictures but it was intended to inspect the transmission cooler line as I was looking for a leak.

The next day the lower coolant hose was completely off and that’s when I lost all my coolant. Talk about bad luck.

As you can see, the hose clip was already too far out including the hose. Unfortunately I didn’t clue in at the time as I was searching for another problem.

This is the kind of rust I deal with in Canada!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
If your radiator hose clamp looks like this (or any clamp for that matter), it needs to be replaced.
View attachment 146730
I'd also add that it's best to place the clamp just past the raised ring portion of the outlet to insure a proper seal. This clamp is a little far forward.
Yep, that's what happens to metal clamps over time, they naturally rust, corrode and weaken and need to be changed from time to time, just as hoses should be replaced every few years. Just standard maintenance.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I took pictures but it was intended to inspect the transmission cooler line as I was looking for a leak.

The next day the lower coolant hose was completely off and that’s when I lost all my coolant. Talk about bad luck.

As you can see, the hose clip was already too far out including the hose. Unfortunately I didn’t clue in at the time as I was searching for another problem

My plan is to keep the Pilot for a long time and I reside in areas that subject my Pilot to similar salt/brine baths and recognize the rust damage that is occurring on your Pilot. I replaced my radiator and all the metal ATF lines to ensure those areas of concern would be intact for the next 7-10 years (HOPE). The rust and bubbling on the metal ATF lines might be critical and should be inspected closely. I sanded and painted the radiator support and used stainless fasteners wherever and whenever possible. FYI: I'd look at the condition of the rear subframe support that attaches to the unibody structure for integrity before investing further time and money.

4433CB63-D6DF-4A2B-8D22-437596CDBF34.jpeg
1C518FE3-13EC-4911-B17C-1A9667E501BF.jpeg

·
Registered
9,383 Posts

As you can see, the hose clip was already too far out including the hose. Unfortunately I didn’t clue in at the time as I was searching for another problem.

View attachment 146732

View attachment 146731

Ugh. That's bad. Definitely need clamps, hoses, radiator...., possibly another vehicle. I'd check those rear chassis mounts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, that's what happens to metal clamps over time, they naturally rust, corrode and weaken and need to be changed from time to time, just as hoses should be replaced every few years. Just standard maintenance.
Ugh. That's bad. Definitely need clamps, hoses, radiator...., possibly another vehicle. I'd check those rear chassis mounts.
View attachment 146742
i just checked my rear chassis mounts and their good! That picture definitely gave me a scare. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My plan is to keep the Pilot for a long time and I reside in areas that subject my Pilot to similar salt/brine baths and recognize the rust damage that is occurring on your Pilot. I replaced my radiator and all the metal ATF lines to ensure those areas of concern would be intact for the next 7-10 years (HOPE). The rust and bubbling on the metal ATF lines might be critical and should be inspected closely. I sanded and painted the radiator support and used stainless fasteners wherever and whenever possible. FYI: I'd look at the condition of the rear subframe support that attaches to the unibody structure for integrity before investing further time and money.

View attachment 146734 View attachment 146735
I did the same thing as you, I even went the extra mile and prime and paint the inside of where the radiator and condenser sits.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts