Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Love the color! Mine is the same & dealer had a hard time trying to find EX-L w/Nav in Saphire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the color! Mine is the same & dealer had a hard time trying to find EX-L w/Nav in Saphire.
How do you like the Nav? I just use CarPlay and really like it. The kiddo has a fire tablet and likes it on road trips.

·
Registered
243 Posts
How do you like the Nav? I just use CarPlay and really like it. The kiddo has a fire tablet and likes it on road trips.
The Nav works fine for me, but I don't travel new routes very often. NC, FL(only once) & PA mostly & it has warned me of congestion & rerouted me once due to an accident closing I-95. I'm avoiding using CarPlay, as many of electric gremlins, posted by other members, have appeared while using CarPlay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Nav works fine for me, but I don't travel new routes very often. NC, FL(only once) & PA mostly & it has warned me of congestion & rerouted me once due to an accident closing I-95. I'm avoiding using CarPlay, as many of electric gremlins, posted by other members, have appeared while using CarPlay.
That’s interesting, what gremlins?

·
Registered
243 Posts
That’s interesting, what gremlins?
There have been numerous posts of the audio/information/nav screen freezing. Sometimes shuttting off the car & restarting resulted in normal operation. Some had to pull the fuse on the infotainment system to get it to reset. There is even a post where several members have connected a USB keyboard & using crtl/alt/del, to reboot the system. I have had zero issues with mine, but I browse the majority of the posts on the 3rd gen forum, just for my knowledge base. Sorry that I can't point to any specific posts, but I recall that a lot of the problems occurred while using CarPlay. Search the forum - shouldn't be too hard to come up with some.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Found one example in this post - Display Audio constantly on in 2019 Pilot
PilotKirk said, "Hi all, glad (or sad, depending on how you look at it) to have found this thread. We have a 2020 Pilot Touring purchased a month ago. We have experienced the same issue using CarPlay. Today we were on a 2.5 hour drive, using CarPlay for navigation & listening to a podcast while my daughter watched a movie on the RES. About 2 hours into the drive we heard a beep and the audio stopped, RES froze, and the touch screen worked as far as pressing icons but then was stuck with a “Loading” twirling circle. Forever. Even after turning off the car, the screen was stuck powered on. Also, backup camera did not display on screen either. Pulling the fuse exactly as described in this thread rebooted the system successfully ... wonder when it will happen again. So annoying."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found one example in this post - Display Audio constantly on in 2019 Pilot
PilotKirk said, "Hi all, glad (or sad, "
Oh wow, I guess the issue is with the RES system specifically. We have just the EX-L and taken it on multiple long trips. From NC-FL, NC-GA and across the state and back multiple times. I also use CarPlay each day and haven’t had any of those issue. I would totally be pissed. :/

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh wow, I guess the issue is with the RES system specifically. We have just the EX-L and taken it on multiple long trips. From NC-FL, NC-GA and across the state and back multiple times. I also use CarPlay each day and haven’t had any of those issue. I would totally be pissed. :/
I guess it's like most of the issues that are posted to the forum; only affects a small minority of owners. Glad that you are satisfied with your Pilot. I certainly am.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m doing it myself. Detailing is sort of a hobby for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok cool. I didn’t even know about ceramics until this morning. Lol. I’ve been using nc Zanio and have liked the ease of it. Ceramics look pretty cool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it's like most of the issues that are posted to the forum; only affects a small minority of owners. Glad that you are satisfied with your Pilot. I certainly am.
Ok yeah I found the other thread talking about audio problems. That's interesting as a developer I write both iOS and Android applications for work. Android and iOS work basically the same way, your car's head unit is treated as an external display that sends x/y touch inputs to your phone. It's then the phone that does all the heavy lifting. It actually runs the apps, it does the rendering etc. That's why when your phone gets an OS update the car functionality my change/improve. That's what made BMW charging a subscription fee to enable CarPlay so tacky. I'd be curious to know if it's only the Res and Nav people having issues, that what it seemed like in the other thread. Pretty much all car manufactures head units and specifically the Pilot use Android. While you can get Android phones with great hardware, that's not really it's strong suit. The development and history of Android is to make it available to the lowest common denominator and from using the Pilot's system that is very much a true case. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if there was no "computing" hardware differences between the two. That would mean if the standard setup is underpowered the Nav and Res would be severely so. As well if there are memory leaks the systems with Nav and Res will put a higher demand on resources not giving the OS time to cleanup behind itself, those leaving those with higher incidences of lockups.

If people are locking up at say 3 hours, a good test would be pull the fuse to reset before a trip. Then time using all the systems plus CarPlay before a lockup. Then pull the fuse to reset and see how long using all the systems except CarPlay. I would bet in both cases the system would lockup, but maybe make it an hour or so more.

"Once the user's Android device is connected to the vehicle, the head unit will serve as an external display for the Android device"

"While most of the CarPlay software runs on the connected iPhone, the CarPlay interface provides the audio and display connection to the car's infotainment system."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts