Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the factory warranty pay to do software updates if at the time the problem is not being encountered. I just purchased a 2017 Pilot Touring and the build date is 8-2017. I see in the TSB thread above that there is a software update titled

"MIL Comes On with DTC P0430 (Front Bank Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold [Bank 2])"

Here is a link to that TSB.

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-036/enu/A17-036.PDF

While this may not be a problem now, what happens if it starts being a problem after the warranty period......I am guessing I would have to pay for it at that time. I am not talking about updates that ad features that were not available when the vehicle was made, just updates that affect performance or reliability.

Is it possible to get a dealer to install all software updates just before the factory warranty expires?

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Will the factory warranty pay to do software updates if at the time the problem is not being encountered. I just purchased a 2017 Pilot Touring and the build date is 8-2017. I see in the TSB thread above that there is a software update titled

"MIL Comes On with DTC P0430 (Front Bank Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold [Bank 2])"

Here is a link to that TSB.

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-036/enu/A17-036.PDF

While this may not be a problem now, what happens if it starts being a problem after the warranty period......I am guessing I would have to pay for it at that time. I am not talking about updates that ad features that were not available when the vehicle was made, just updates that affect performance or reliability.

Is it possible to get a dealer to install all software updates just before the factory warranty expires?

Thanks!
I would say depends on your Honda dealer. The ones around me would tell me to pound sand.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I just had one update yesterday when I went in for A1 service (oil change). The service advisor said there was an update. It should be free of charge to the owner. I saw the dealer charged Honda for over $400.00 for the update.

·
Registered
162 Posts
And this would be at the selling dealer???
Yes or basically any Honda dealer I have ever been to. In general Honda dealers are awful, but they can do that due to the strength of their product I guess ... From what I have been told, they are not really under any obligation to perform a TSB let alone one that is not showing said symptoms. You can always ask & maybe yours are better than mine. I try to avoid going back as much as humanly possible.

The worst thing I ever saw was a Service Advisor try to sell a power steering flush on EPS. Then he convinced the customer that she saved so much $ because it was EPS. Completely embarrassing. :crying:

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is not right at all! I would recommend calling into Honda Customer Relations and filing a complaint against that Dealer.

Honda Dealer’s are obligated to provide Warranty repairs as long as you are within your Warranty time or mileage.

Yes or basically any Honda dealer I have ever been to. In general Honda dealers are awful, but they can do that due to the strength of their product I guess ... From what I have been told, they are not really under any obligation to perform a TSB let alone one that is not showing said symptoms. You can always ask & maybe yours are better than mine. I try to avoid going back as much as humanly possible.

The worst thing I ever saw was a Service Advisor try to sell a power steering flush on EPS. Then he convinced the customer that she saved so much $ because it was EPS. Completely embarrassing. :crying:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
That is not right at all! I would recommend calling into Honda Customer Relations and filing a complaint against that Dealer.

Honda Dealer’s are obligated to provide Warranty repairs as long as you are within your Warranty time or mileage.

Yes, but I think a TSB is a "gray area" as far as warranty is concerned. I've had TSBs completed under warranty, but only when they applied & the issue was obvious. Having one done on a vehicle that is not showing said issue is unlikely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TSBs are only covered by warranty IF you have the problem at that time. After warranty, the cost is on you. That's the standard practice across every car brand that I've ever owned. Recalls are the only thing that they pay for regardless of whether or not you have the issue yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tesla needs to have more success in the mid-market, so all the old-line manufacturers will have to compete on serviceability. Modern vehicles these days are just software deployment platforms. They should be as easy to update as our phones. It's ridiculous to have to go through a dealer service department to get a software update, and they can deny an update for an in-warranty vehicle.

My wife took her 2017 Elite to the local dealership to fix the brain-dead collision detection system. She asked about updates and was told her vehicle is up to date. Considering it was purchased in June and has had no other dealer service, I'm about 75% sure that was lie.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’ve had my 2017 since March and there has not been any updates yet and I work at a Honda dealership.

The 2017 still isn’t perfect, but vast improvements over my 2016. I get the occasional glitch where my heated seats won’t work if I remote start the vehicle, but a simple engine cycle fixes it.

Tesla needs to have more success in the mid-market, so all the old-line manufacturers will have to compete on serviceability. Modern vehicles these days are just software deployment platforms. They should be as easy to update as our phones. It's ridiculous to have to go through a dealer service department to get a software update, and they can deny an update for an in-warranty vehicle.

My wife took her 2017 Elite to the local dealership to fix the brain-dead collision detection system. She asked about updates and was told her vehicle is up to date. Considering it was purchased in June and has had no other dealer service, I'm about 75% sure that was lie.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm in Phoenix and both the dealership where I purchased AND the dealership where I get service both do all updates for free under warranty. Even going so far as to let me know there are updates that need to be done. I would never buy another Honda if they told me to "pound sand".

Reactions: CheapB

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer checks for updates any time I bring the car in and applies them. I would think if you called them to ask if there are any updates for your VIN, they would schedule an appointment for you and apply those updates.
got these arm rests, i like them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts